Musing of a first time plane buyer

There are certain early O-300 to avoid, those with crankshafts that are not availabe anymore. I can't remember all the specifics hopefullt Tom-D will chime in.

Really nothing there to worry about, there is a STC to used O-300-D cranks in the C-145/0-300-A but we seldom need one, but the prop must be changed to fit the crank flange of the -D crank

If you really need an IFR aircraft I would not advise any that do not have a vac pump.
The C-145 and the 0-300-A can be converted to use the 0-300-D accessory case and the off set starter and the vac pump. That requires a 337 field approval.

on any 170/early 172 that normally uses the 145/0-300-A can be up graded to the 0-300-D with little problems.

Last edited:
:lol:

I see you and Tony use the same accountant. Just label everything as an entertainment cost and airplane ownership costs $0.

Why not ?? they do it at annual time and call it an annual.

From the first post:

To start, I have $25K to buy and about $300/month for operating expenses. I would rather not finance. I am a biggish fellow with a wife and a 13 yr. old daughter. Both of the women are on board with the idea. The daughter went to flying camp this summer and she is stoked.

I'm looking for something simple and 4 place, with possibly basic IFR. I would use it to extend our weekend trip radius, plus the occasional long x-country. I have tried to find a partner but no luck so far. I am on the waiting list for a T-hanger ($110/mo) but it might be a year or more before my name comes up. I am concerned about the future avgas supply, so mogas needs to be a possibility.

end quote

several things I've read thru this thread that seem to e to be wrong.

300 per month is way over the top for most of the people I know for what they spend on their aircraft, and the most of that spending is for gas.

Aircraft do not need hangars to be fit to fly.

The average person's body size is increasing each year, that is most noticed when operating old equipment, try getting into a model A ford some time. same is true for aircraft.

Most of the entries in this thread are personal opinions, told as truths.

From the first post:

To start, I have $25K to buy and about $300/month for operating expenses. I would rather not finance. I am a biggish fellow with a wife and a 13 yr. old daughter. Both of the women are on board with the idea. The daughter went to flying camp this summer and she is stoked.

I'm looking for something simple and 4 place, with possibly basic IFR. I would use it to extend our weekend trip radius, plus the occasional long x-country. I have tried to find a partner but no luck so far. I am on the waiting list for a T-hanger ($110/mo) but it might be a year or more before my name comes up. I am concerned about the future avgas supply, so mogas needs to be a possibility.

end quote

several things I've read thru this thread that seem to e to be wrong.

300 per month is way over the top for most of the people I know for what they spend on their aircraft, and the most of that spending is for gas.

Aircraft do not need hangars to be fit to fly.

The average person's body size is increasing each year, that is most noticed when operating old equipment, try getting into a model A ford some time. same is true for aircraft.

Most of the entries in this thread are personal opinions, told as truths.

$25K Cherokee 140/150

$800 insurance.

$1000 annual

$600 tie down.

We're at $200/mo before we've put a drop in the tanks.

2 cases of oil $200

8GPH x 100hrs = 800 gallons
@$6.00/gal that's $4,800/yr or roughly $400/mo in fuel alone.

If you intend to actually fly a plane, take Toms "way over the top" number and double it, consider that a best case scenario on a frugal budget. Triple would be closer to reality.

Last edited:
$25K Cherokee 140/150

$800 insurance. Devided by 12= 66.00 per month

$1000 annual find an A&P-IA that will do owner assisted for $300.00 divide that by 12 = 25 per month.

$600 tie down. If that is per month? find a better airport

We're at $200/mo before we've put a drop in the tanks.

2 cases of oil $200 I pay 55 per case, that's almost 2 oil changes

8GPH x 100hrs = 800 gallons
@$6.00/gal that's $4,800/yr or roughly $400/mo in fuel alone.

If you intend to actually fly a plane, take Toms "way over the top" number and double it, consider that a best case scenario on a frugal budget. Triple would be closer to reality.

Gas is a big deal now,thus the lower average pilot time this year my last 2 annuals were on aircraft that got less than 15 hours this year.

300 per month is 3600 per year, more than all but one of my customers spend.

Last edited:
Get the Cherokee. Best bang for your buck in your price range. Nothing too shocking about the o300 cessnas but the lyc o320 is tried and true. At 25k ou can't ask a lot out of the back seat.

C-145/0-300 was the engine in the 170/172 from 1948 thru 1967 I guess that is not tried and true.

Gas is a big deal now,thus the lower average pilot time this year my last 2 annuals were on aircraft that got less than 15 hours this year.

300 per month is 3600 per year, more than all but one of my customers spend.

$300 annual(yes I know you're about to split hairs over the legal definition of an inspection vs the issues fixed). If I see $300 annuals Ina log book, no dice. All mine on my Cherokee were owner assisted, I never got out after the dust cleared for less than $1000. Rule of thumb for most owners is 800-1200 per annual. I will log 15 hours this week by the time I make it home from the airport today. It's sad they're only flying 15 hours per year.

Even with your 300 annuals, you're not leaving any room for any sort of maintenance. On 25K 40-50 year old airplanes, there will be plenty. I would HIGHLY recommend someone with a $300/budget not buy a 172/Cherokee variety airplane they actually intend to fly. $300/mo is unrealistic.

$300 annual(yes I know you're about to split hairs over the legal definition of an inspection vs the issues fixed). If I see $300 annuals Ina log book, no dice. All mine on my Cherokee were owner assisted, I never got out after the dust cleared for less than $1000. Rule of thumb for most owners is 800-1200 per annual. I will log 15 hours this week by the time I make it home from the airport today. It's sad they're only flying 15 hours per year.

Even with your 300 annuals, you're not leaving any room for any sort of maintenance. On 25K 40-50 year old airplanes, there will be plenty. I would HIGHLY recommend someone with a $300/budget not buy a 172/Cherokee variety airplane they actually intend to fly. $300/mo is unrealistic.

Warning personal opinion

Back