Multiple SSRI's

H

Hope2Fly

Hello and thanks for taking time to review my post.

I would like to start PPL training, but I am hesitant to start until I can obtain a 3rd Class medical due to taking multiple SSRI’s at one time. (I’ve never held a medical cert).

I have been taking Zoloft for about 15 years for depression/generalized anxiety and Trazodone as a sleep aid (insomnia) for about 5 years. However, with the doctor’s knowledge, I stopped taking the Trazodone about a year ago when I started exercising, eating better, and losing weight. Insomnia is no longer an issue. Maybe is was apnea due to weight.

Because I’ve been on Zoloft for so long, I’m reading that SSRI path 1 is not feasible, but I am wondering if Path 2 is even an option with Trazodone history. I’m also aware that Path 2, if possible, is a long and expensive process.

In addition, there is no history of alcohol abuse or dependency.

Should I make an appointment with an HIMS AME, or is my only option Sport Pilot?

Depending on your specifics, I think path 2 is certainly obtainable for you. Won't be fast, or cheap...but do-able. As long as you don't have a record of on again/off again depression...recurring is bad. Someone can correct me if Im wrong, but I think continuous use of the SSRI can actually help your case. As long as you are stable, you have a good long history showing it works. Gonna need a psych exam and Cog-screen..but I would definitely call a HIMS AME for a consult. Dr. Bruce and Dr. Fowler frequent here and can give some better insight.

I appreciate the feedback and encouragement, RussS. I scheduled a consultation with an HIMS AME, so I'm starting on that long and expensive journey. I've tried to ignore my passion to fly due to the challenging path ahead, but the desire keeps coming back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back