Multiple Sclerosis

SirMcFly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SirMcFly
1st time posting here goes nothing.

I am 25 year old Active Duty Marine who is looking to get my private pilot license. I was Dx with multiple sclerosis July 23rd. I am looking at schools to start my training in San Deigo. One instructor told me to start my medical paperwork now because it could take up to 6 months to get my medical certificate, or might not get it at all.

Does anyone here have Multiple Sclerosis or know someone who does and flys?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Your instructor was correct, it's likely to take a while and there's a strong chance you MIGHT NOT get it at all. Being denied a medical will close you out of certain things you might have been able to do (Sport pilot, for example), if you never had applied.

You'll need a good AME on this one (www.aeromedicaldoc.com or one like it). Demylenating diseases is at BEST a special issuance if not an outright denial. You're going to need a full battery of neuro tests from a board-elgiible neuropsych to include COGSCREEN-AE and a bunch of others. This is not going to be cheap.

On the other hand, once you get all the paperwork in order, the FAA seems to have greatly improved the turnaround time on reviewing these things. But I would suggest you talk to a good AME as to your chances of issuance before you go to the effort of even STARTING TO APPLY.

Contrary to what your instructor may have said, don't go in for a medical unless you are sure you can pass.

If you try and fail you are locked out of the sport pilot option. If you do not apply for a medical and if your condition is such that you can safely act as pilot in command (even if you can't (or don't want to spend $$$$$$$ to) prove it to the FAA's satisfaction) you can still fly under the sport pilot rules.

Get a consultation with a highly qualified AME before throwing yourself under the bus.

As F'Ron says... possible, but not an absolute. Lots to be done, and you need the right doc to assist in guiding you so you get the right documentation created the first time, and the packet assembled so it goes through the system with minimum fuss.

The right doc is Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Search for his name on this forum and www.aopa.org/forums and you'll quickly see how he helps many people get their medical certificates, even with difficult situations like yours.

For now, DO NOT GO TO AN AME AND APPLY FOR A CERTIFICATE. Since you don't know what's required to get it done correctly, you run the risk of being denied, which closes the door near permanently on nearly all flying activities as pilot in command. Contct Dr. Chien, discuss your case, and formulate a plan. Only when he gives you a green light, do you go for the medical examination.

My sympathies that you were Dx'd with MS. But good on ya to embrace life and pursue flying.

And thanks for your service to our contry!!!!

Some places you can look to see how the FAA handles MS, which is a mandatory deferral to HQ for decision (AME cannot issue):
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...me/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/dd/
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...s/designee_types/ame/fasmb/media/F2003_02.pdf (see page 11)

Do not under any circumstances apply for an FAA medical certificate without obtaining consultation with Bruce or someone like him, because you could ruin any chances you have of getting a Special Issuance if you apply without all your medical ducks aligned in a squared-away column of ones. And as mentioned above, you won't find anyone better than Bruce Chien to advise you on your chances of getting an FAA medical certificate.

BTW, thanks for doing the job, Marine.

Last edited:
Consider, too, that many forms of MS result in further deterioration as time goes on. Consider whether the time and cost of testing is worthwhile to you considering the possibility that your condition may degrade in the years ahead. A family friend has MS and deteriorated over the period of about 8-9 years to using a motorized scooter because she has lost muscle control on one side of her body.

Wow, great quality responses I really appreciate guys. Dr.Chien told me that Copaxone I am taking is licensable so thats some great news on making this dream a reality.

Thanks AggieMike, I talked to Dr.Chien briefly last night and he already emailed me this morning.

RonLevy, Thanks for posting the PDF and link. It looks like there are a fair amount of pilots that have MS, even back in 2002 when that article was written.

Wsuffa, I understand that this disease could get a lot worse in the next 10-20 years, however if i could fly just a handful of times I will be happy to have lived the experience and gladly pay whatever the cost.

I cant thank you guys enough for all this info.

Wow, great quality responses I really appreciate guys. Dr.Chien told me that Copaxone I am taking is licensable so thats some great news on making this dream a reality.

Thanks AggieMike, I talked to Dr.Chien briefly last night and he already emailed me this morning.

RonLevy, Thanks for posting the PDF and link. It looks like there are a fair amount of pilots that have MS, even back in 2002 when that article was written.

Wsuffa, I understand that this disease could get a lot worse in the next 10-20 years, however if i could fly just a handful of times I will be happy to have lived the experience and gladly pay whatever the cost.

Live life to its fullest because no one knows how much time we have left.

Good luck to you buddy.

Semper Fi

I would consider going sport pilot Why jump through all the hoops,not knowing how long it will take to get a medical. Also at what expense.

Good luck to you, and welcome to PoA. I'm very happy that you get to live your dreams!

I would consider going sport pilot Why jump through all the hoops,not knowing how long it will take to get a medical. Also at what expense.
Sport Pilot flying on a Drivers License is not a certainty for someone with MS. Keep in mind that MS is a serious and progressive disease affecting motor control. The OP would have to work with his personal physician to determine if he can safely fly even as a Sport Pilot, and without a full workup and at least consultation with an AME like Bruce, I don't see how anyone can know that.

Do what you can, learn what you can while you are still in good condition. It will make it easier to adapt later and fly Ultralights when you can no longer manage a heavier aircraft.

Do what you can, learn what you can while you are still in good condition. It will make it easier to adapt later and fly Ultralights when you can no longer manage a heavier aircraft.
It is hard to imagine how one could safely manage an ultralight when one's neurological condition has deteriorated to the point one can't manage a certified airplane. I'm not going to rule it out, but based on my observation over several years of someone with MS, I wouldn't count on it with a progressive, deteriorating condition like that -- you may plateau out and not get worse for a while, but you never get better.

It is hard to imagine how one could safely manage an ultralight when one's neurological condition has deteriorated to the point one can't manage a certified airplane. I'm not going to rule it out, but based on my observation over several years of someone with MS, I wouldn't count on it with a progressive, deteriorating condition like that -- you may plateau out and not get worse for a while, but you never get better.

It's hard to tell what his condition will be, MS can strike in a multitude of levels. While one may not have the ability to manipulate a yoke and rudders, they may still be able to competently operate a weight shift UL. Never count a man down until he's dead.

1st time posting here goes nothing.

I am 25 year old Active Duty Marine who is looking to get my private pilot license. I was Dx with multiple sclerosis July 23rd. I am looking at schools to start my training in San Deigo. One instructor told me to start my medical paperwork now because it could take up to 6 months to get my medical certificate, or might not get it at all.

Does anyone here have Multiple Sclerosis or know someone who does and flys?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Indeed, don’t give up.
MS is as variable as heart disease - some just deteriorate until the final heart attack kills them, other live full live spans.
I have met people with Ms who had it for decades and you couldn’t tell and other were in a wheel chair after a decade.

Wow. 4 year old thread.
Even worse... I threw this on 6 years ago...https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/golf-carts.43250/#post-1042556

Necrothread.jpg

I thought it was current until I saw Henning's post.:D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back