Multiple Sclerois

U

Unregistered

Hello
I have been diagnosed with MS about 15 years ago after a second (and last) episode. I have been on avonex for all these years and have never had another attack. I have been told by my neurologist that it's the lightest case he has ever seen. I have not flown for 20 + years but would like to get back to flying. Is this a disqualifying condition?
Thank You

Hello
I have been diagnosed with MS about 15 years ago after a second (and last) episode. I have been on avonex for all these years and have never had another attack. I have been told by my neurologist that it's the lightest case he has ever seen. I have not flown for 20 + years but would like to get back to flying. Is this a disqualifying condition?
Thank You

Quick question, were you ever denied a medical, or did you just let it expire? If you were never denied, you may be eligible under sport pilot rules. There is also reasonable potential for Congress to eliminate the need for an Airman Medical for private flight in aircraft <6000#GW hopefully during this next election cycle.

Quick question, were you ever denied a medical, or did you just let it expire? If you were never denied, you may be eligible under sport pilot rules. There is also reasonable potential for Congress to eliminate the need for an Airman Medical for private flight in aircraft <6000#GW hopefully during this next election cycle.
All that is possible, but I don't think it very likely that any physician would agree with a pilot with MS requiring medication such that special issuance would be denied that s/he is safe to act as a Sport Pilot. However, you can find some case studies on certification of pilots with MS here:
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...ons/designee_types/ame/fasmb/media/201203.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...signee_types/ame/fasmb/media/201102_color.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...s/designee_types/ame/fasmb/media/F2003_02.pdf

Based in Annapolis during the 80's, a major airline captain who flew with MS while employed, continued to fly for many years in a Stearman and a very nice 150 hp Luscombe. He had trouble getting around but once in the cockpit was excellent. He passed away not long ago in tenn. His wife may still fly the Luscombe. His name was Bill Tinkler. Great Guy!

In any event, if you want that special issuance, Bruce Chien is probably the best AME to go to (or perhaps one of the AME's who wrote those case studies linked above).

Thank you for all the responses. No I never failed a medical. The medication I take is preventative. I actually believe I was mis-diagnosed but it is hard to find a doctor that will overrule another doctor. I believe for now I will pursue my sport pilot license. Hopefully the regulations change soon.

Thank you for all the responses. No I never failed a medical. The medication I take is preventative. I actually believe I was mis-diagnosed but it is hard to find a doctor that will overrule another doctor. I believe for now I will pursue my sport pilot license. Hopefully the regulations change soon.
I would remind you that even for Sport Pilot privileges, you are required to self-certify that you are fit to fly. By the regulations (14 CFR 61.53, to be exact), if you know or have reason to know you have a condition which is disqualifying for a Third Class medical (and you most definitely have that -- saying "I thought I was misdiagnosed" doesn't cut it without medical support), the Federal Air Surgeon says you need to consult your personal physician to determine if you are in fact safe to fly as a Sport Pilot. The fact that you hold a US drivers license is not by itself sufficient for the exercise of Sport Pilot privileges without that medical consultation and concurrence if you have been diagnosed with MS (whether you agree with that diagnosis or not).

I would remind you that even for Sport Pilot privileges, you are required to self-certify that you are fit to fly. By the regulations (14 CFR 61.53, to be exact), if you know or have reason to know you have a condition which is disqualifying for a Third Class medical (and you most definitely have that -- saying "I thought I was misdiagnosed" doesn't cut it without medical support), the Federal Air Surgeon says you need to consult your personal physician to determine if you are in fact safe to fly as a Sport Pilot. The fact that you hold a US drivers license is not by itself sufficient for the exercise of Sport Pilot privileges without that medical consultation and concurrence if you have been diagnosed with MS (whether you agree with that diagnosis or not).

61.53 B says nothing about sport pilots meeting the requirements for a third class medical.

Operations that do not require a medical certificate. For operations provided for in §61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.

The flight surgeon says:

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You may exercise sport pilot privileges provided you are in good health, your medical condition is under control, you adhere to your physician�s recommended treatment, and you feel satisfied that you are able to conduct safe flight operations.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response5/
And, if I may quote the NTSB about a pilot with a heart condition:

MEDICAL AND PATHOLOGICAL INFORMATION
An autopsy of the pilot was conducted at the Ostego Hospital, Gaylord, Michigan, on October 28, 2009. The cause of death was attributed to blunt trauma due to the accident.

The Federal Aviation Administration Civil Aero Medical Institute toxicology report for the pilot indicated the presence of Clopidogrel, Ibuprofen, Metoprolol, and Ranitidine in urine and blood samples.

Approximately 8 months prior to the accident, the pilot had reportedly experienced some chest pain while exercising. He subsequently underwent stent placement to treat two narrowed areas in his coronary arteries. A family member stated that the pilot had returned to all normal activities, including running, and as far as he was aware the pilot had not experienced any further symptoms.

According to documentation obtained from the FAA, the accident airplane met the requirements of a light sport aircraft (LSA). Further, regulations (14 CFR 61.303) state that individuals holding at least a recreational pilot certificate with a category and class rating may operate any LSA within that category and class, provided that person holds a valid state driver’s license. However, the pilot must comply with any restrictions or limitations associated with the driver’s license, and must not have had his/her most recently issued medical certificate suspended or revoked, or the most recent application for a medical certificate denied. Based on a review of the available data, the pilot appeared to be in compliance with the regulations related to the operation of a light sport aircraft.

61.53 B says nothing about sport pilots meeting the requirements for a third class medical.
I said 61.53 without specific mention of paragraph (b).

...exactly what I said. If you look further on that web page, you'll see the question that answered was for if you have a disqualifying condition (and I think "disqualifying" falls under "significant" in this context).
If I suspect I have a significant medical condition, but have never had an FAA medical certificate denied, suspended, or revoked, can I exercise sport pilot privileges using my current and valid driver�s license, if otherwise qualified?

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
Long-standing FAA regulation, � 61.53, prohibits all pilots--those who are required to hold airman medical certificates and those who are not--from exercising privileges during periods of medical deficiency. The FAA revised � 61.53 to include under this prohibition sport pilots who use a current and valid U.S. driver�s license as medical qualification. The prohibition is also added under �� 61.23 (c) (2) (iv) and 61.303 (b) (2) (4) for sport pilot operations.

You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. Certain medical information that may be helpful for pilots can be found in our Pilot Safety Brochures.
And, if I may quote the NTSB about a pilot with a heart condition:
So? Clearly that pilot was working with a doctor, and thus was probably complying with what the Federal Air Surgeon said. Also, that NTSB report says nothing about 14 CFR 61.53, only 61.303, and had that pilot survived and the accident been related to a problem with that pilot's heart, the FAA might have looked further into that -- they rarely press enforcement actions against dead pilots.

Last edited:
I said 61.53 without specific mention of paragraph (b).

You said :

I would remind you that even for Sport Pilot privileges, you are required to self-certify that you are fit to fly. By the regulations (14 CFR 61.53, to be exact), if you know or have reason to know you have a condition which is disqualifying for a Third Class medical

Which is not true since it is paragraph B that applies in this case and paragraph B does not say anything about a medical certificate - that is in paragraph A which applies to "Operations that require a medical certificate"

If you look further on that web page, you'll see the question that answered was for if you have a disqualifying condition (and I think "disqualifying" falls under "significant" in this context).

Where you find the exact same words that I quoted before "You should consult your private physician... "

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back