Multi Engine Time Building in MI

Off In The Jungle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Off In The Jungle
Hey Folks,

I am looking to split 80 hours with someone or maybe two people in MI. The outfit is Great Lakes Air Ventures and the cost would be 175 per hour wet split in half, flying two crew as a safety pilot, and one under the hood.

Let me know if you are intersted. Time frame would be 2nd week or October and I cam provide lodging if we do out and backs. I would love to do some longer cross countries and see the country if possible.

Hoping to get it done in ten days.

Thanks!

So you have one person under the hood and two people logging time simultaneously as safety pilot?

What is the airport identifier for "Great Lakes Air ventures" I looked at the website and it's not on there - anywhere. Is it KFPK?

Last edited:
Just remember the safety pilot can only log the time the pilot flying is under the hood, so they won't both be logging all the time.

Just remember the safety pilot can only log the time the pilot flying is under the hood, so they won't both be logging all the time.

Yep, there was a couple guys who got busted because they used identical time in their logs.

Whats the point of logging time from the back seat? I have been in backseats in many airplanes and its hard to learn or get any sort of experience. I am of the school of tought that the only valuable time logged is the one you are in complete control of the airplane.

Whats the point of logging time from the back seat? I have been in backseats in many airplanes and its hard to learn or get any sort of experience. I am of the school of tought that the only valuable time logged is the one you are in complete control of the airplane.

It'll continue to be common as long as "number of hours" is the key criteria to get a resume' past the HR department.

And with the upcoming new 1500 hour law, too.

Although I agree with you, why do you think 20 year olds get their CFI rating? To teach or build time?:rolleyes:
At some point it's all about the number of hours logged, I have no intention of a flying career and I make sure I log enough to stay current. ;)

It's instructing time, and as far as that goes, an instructor with no access to the controls has to really develop their communications skill and ability to an even greater degree. There are a lot of instructors out there who will just get on the controls without saying anything and that is poor instructing IMO. In some ways it will help their piloting skills as well as they have to be more observant of what is going on to see issues earlier and form a correction to relate. That correlates to them being further 'ahead of the airplane' when flying as well.

Anyone looking for a multiengine partner please let me know.

BTW, if one is an MEI, you can have 3 people logging at once, hooded pilot, safety pilot, and instructor in the back, that's how All ATPs and the other rating mills do it.

That is not how All ATP does it. They have students pair up and one is under the hood and the other is the safety pilot.

That is not how All ATP does it. They have students pair up and one is under the hood and the other is the safety pilot.

I have seen it done there and a couple other places, perhaps they had to change, but I have watched it happen and talked to the guys about it and that is what they told me was going on.:dunno:

I have seen it done there and a couple other places, perhaps they had to change, but I have watched it happen and talked to the guys about it and that is what they told me was going on.:dunno:

I did my flight training there in 08. I never had an instructor in the backseat. I had other students in the back observing during private pilot training. This is practiced with the locations that are at busy controlled fields. They will swap at an uncontrolled field to save time for the students. So, the backseat instructing is a thing of the past.

Back