Multi add-on

flyguy87

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyguy87
Anyone have any recommendations for where I should get my commercial multi add-on? I live in Vermont, but I'm thinking about making a trip out of it.

I've heard good things about Action Multi in CT as well as Travers Air in Travers City MI. the later would be that trip you're looking for.

I'm in the market to do my private multi add on this summer at Travers

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

What I've done a couple times, for ratings and endorsements and whatnot, is first choose a new part of the country I'd like to visit and then find a local flight school. So, for example, I took one vacation which was a combination of a trip to San Francisco and a tailwheel/aerobatic course. My days were full but manageable; it's a nice way to spend a week or two. You will, though, want to be sure you're going somewhere where the weather is likely to be good.

I did my seaplane and multi with Tom Brady at Traverse Air. Being from New England how can you NOT train with a guy named Tom Brady? You'll get about 7 hours of flight time, and the check ride included for under $2000 - at least that was the price last May.

It looks like I'll give both Action Multi, and Tom Brady(Go Pats!) a call to discuss their programs. What is the best place to fly commercially to for the Tom Brady/traverse city?

It looks like I'll give both Action Multi, and Tom Brady(Go Pats!) a call to discuss their programs. What is the best place to fly commercially to for the Tom Brady/traverse city?

TVC has commercial flights in there but I think it can get pricey. Since it's not that far, I never price it out as it's just under a 3 hour drive for me from GRR which is the closest major airport. Or depending on how it works out, I could fly ya up there from GRR. ~1hr in the Comanche.

Friend of mine just went up to a place in Maine called Dash Aviation. Really liked it. I think they're near Portland, so it was an easy drive up from Boston for the training. I'll try to get some more info from him.

Edfred did you get a package deal on the pair?

Got the info on Dash Aviation. They are based in Sanford Maine and are a fairly new company thats run by airline pilots. My buddy said it was $1995 and they give you 3 hours in a redbird sim configured as a multi. I think he said they used a Seneca or a Duchess. Number 207-358-8774
Good luck!

Even more of an endorsement you went back for more

Thanks for all the suggestions. I called Dash aviation in Maine and I'm booked for a course in April. Guy I talked to was a real nice guy, really spoke highly about using the redbird in the training program. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm stoked!!

Thanks to some unexpected time off from work, I was able to get my commercial add-on over the past few days instead of having to wait until April. I really enjoyed the program and told the Dash Aviation guys I would put out a good word for them. So here goes.

Showed up on day one at 8am and started ground school right off. My instructor was one of the owners and is a 767 United Airlines pilot. We went over some multi-engine operations stuff and then went into the Duchess systems. We then briefed for our first flight which consisted of stalls, steep turns, emergency descent and normal/short field take-off/landings. I had never flown a twin before and really enjoyed the extra visibility and speed. After landing we broke for lunch and then started up on ground school again. This session we focused on performance, VMC, critical engines, and all the maneuvers we didn't perform on the morning flight. Then it was off to the Redbird! Being my first sim experience, I wasn't sure what to expect. At first it was a little sensitive, but after spending about 5 minutes getting used to it I found it to be an excellent training aid. During the 2 1.5 hour sim blocks we were able to perform about 30-40 engine out scenarios and numerous 1 and 2 engine approaches with all sorts of weather scenarios. We also performed all of the maneuvers that are required on the check ride before doing them in the actual airplane. You can really feel the yaw in the sim when the engine quits, and the visuals looked like something out of microsoft x-plane.

The next morning we flew our second airplane flight, this time performing all of the engine-out maneuvers, VMC demo, s/e ILS and a complete engine shutdown. It was pretty crazy flying around with that prop stopped out there!! We landed and broke for lunch, then went up for a "mock-check ride" which was basically a run through of all of the required maneuvers. I needed a little touch-up with my stalls and VMC demo, but everything else went great.

The next morning we flew up to meet the examiner at a nearby airport. The oral was a breeze as we just discussed some performance figures and a few duchess systems. Probably about 40 min. total including all the IACRA stuff. We got in the plane for the flight test. I got a engine failure on the take-off roll and aborted, then and engine failure at about 900 ft agl. We did some stalls, steep turns and VMC demo followed by an engine shutdown/restart with the foggles on. Vectored for a S/E ILS to a full stop and that was it!! Most laid back test I have ever taken. I had another .9 hrs left to get my 7 hours that the course comes with so we took the scenic route back to Sanford and I got to log some PIC time.

Overall it was a great experience and would recommend Dash Aviation to anyone.

Back