Mt Rushmore KCUT

Skyhawk4754

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Willie
Thinking about going to the Faces in May, never been there in a plane, any recomendations? Camping at KCUT? Places to Eat? How close can you fly to the Faces? Anything else?

Thanks

5yrs? ago, Custer airport, small and quiet, inexpensive, gas, came out from town with a rental car, a few eats and motels, all 2-3 star but still enjoyed it much. I think maybe the closest to MtR, C.H.
If you plan on seeing the caverns, be advised you can't just show up - limited space available.. as I recall a few mi west of town.
Didnt try to overfly the memorial.

You can get about this close (see attached) That's with no zoom on the camera.

I didn't land at Custer, as I was headed west, and picked up cheaper fuel in Wyoming. Do call up Ellsworth Approach, and they will get you vectors and altitudes to fly near the faces.

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 108
I enjoyed flying around Mt. Rushmore. I didn't do custer because I was enroute from KRAP to KCYS. I'll say this: Ellsworth departure controllers (I think...it might have been center) were not very nice about letting me to check out Mt. Rushmore. There is a unicom frequency they'll hand you off to to do position reports as you get close.

I did what Ed did - Flew over, but didn't land. How close can you get? 2,000 feet AGL if you're playing by the rules.

Are you planning on spending time in the Black Hills, or just passing thru? Custer is a great little airport - not the cheapest fuel around, but the FBO is under new management (last year) and really goes out of their way for visitors.

KCUT doesn't have camping on the field, I don't believe, but there are campgrounds very close, including Flintstone's Village and numerous others. Custer State Park 3V0 has camping on field, and the State Game Lodge has (had?) shuttle service http://www.custerresorts.com/
http://www.custerresorts.com/state-game-lodge/overview/

I posted a "things to do the in the Black Hills" a few years ago on here - I can try to find it for you. If you want to tour the Hills, Custer is a good base for the southern hills.

Hot Springs will get you to Evans Plunge and the Mammoth Site.
Rapid City/Ellsworth has a good airplane museum
Sturgis - motorcycle rally - a good reason to avoid it if you're not into the Harley scene
Spearfish - Spearfish Canyon

BTW, there's an airport just east of KCUT called "Custer State Park." Were I going to stay in the area for a night, I'd be calling up Custer State Park to ask about flying in and camping...

Make the airshow at Ellsworth, June 4. Other than that, I'd go with Custer State Park and the State Game Lodge. Some of the best food in SD. Nice old lodge, call first. Coolidge's western White House. There is also Crazy Horse, just north of Custer.
http://www.ellsworth.af.mil/airshow/index.asp

I was already booked for Days Of Thunder - then my plans got trumped by a graduation trip for my youngest son. Oh well, next year.

I was already booked for Days Of Thunder - then my plans got trumped by a graduation trip for my youngest son. Oh well, next year.

Sorry you'll miss it. Last I talked to Terry Munson they had 18 planes signed up for the CPA group.

Back