msiexec.exe??

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
Ok, I know this is some gizmo from MS to aid in downloading stuff. And I never had any trouble with it ... UNTIL I downloaded the latest Adobe Reader update. Now the dang msiexec.exe is sucking up a LOT of juice - the process is using in the upper 90's percent CPU according to task mgr and everything is slowing down.

Adobe is all loaded and installed and done with - so what's the msiexec.exe doing????

What to do? What to do?!?

msiexec.exe should only be running during an installation process since it's part of the Windows Installer. Maybe something err'ed out in the install process?

Have you tried to un-install Acrobat Reader and then re-install?

msiexec.exe should only be running during an installation process since it's part of the Windows Installer. Maybe something err'ed out in the install process?

Have you tried to un-install Acrobat Reader and then re-install?
Nope, but I'll do that. :yes:

Or not ... the program list on the add/remove programs window won't "populate". Dang this damn dell.

Last edited:
That's odd... I know the Adobe install sometimes requires two or three stages, with reboots in between. Maybe the installation is hanging at one of those stages, with the Installer laboring endlessly trying to start it...

I concur with Steve about completely uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe, but would add the suggestion that you disable any virus / spyware protection during the uninstall and reinstall of Adobe. Also, reboot in between, even if not prompted to.

-Rich

Well, ok - I uninstalled adobe reader and re-installed it without the photoalbum program and all went well.

Then OUTLOOK started screwing up on me. And for some reason, when I went to task mgr, the Adobe Update was sucking up all the cpu juice and everything was slowed WAAY down.

So I did a system restore to a couple of days ago and all seems well. So far.

I have Acrobat 8 on my computers. The thing I hate about it is any time I open it on the laptop in the car, it wants to update. Updating on an aircard is not fun when sucks up all your bandwidth. It tends to not want to quit when I attempt it. I'm about to uninstall that version and go back to v7.

You can disable the Adobe Updater:
  1. Open Adobe Reader.
  2. Click Help / Check for Updates
  3. When the Dialog Window comes up, click "Preferences"
  4. Uncheck the box to automatically check for updates.
  5. Click OK
If that doesn't work, try deleting the folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5

Back