MS Excel help

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a .xls file, it is one page wide/high but does not fill out the page the way I want. I want to stretch the final image top to bottom a little more but do not see an option for that (despite what Help says).
Thanks! Nice to see this forum available!

Dave-

Excel is a bit squirrely at trying to fill a page. The fill-to-fit x by x pages feature just isn't that good. Sometimes you can get a better result by manually adjusting the print zoom factor (overriding the fit-to-page(s) feature), other times you need to manually adjust the cell width/height if you're going for a finely tuned result. Also, you may want to select the options to center the printed area horizontally/vertically.

Jeff

Dave,
Jeff gave some good advice. I find if I first go to the print prevew page it is easier to get the overview of the excel file. From there go to setup (page setup if not in print preview) and you can adjust the margins, # of pages (stretch to fit), % size of the sheet size, center vert and horz, etc. Jeff is right in the fact that sometimes you just have to go back and resize the column/row sizes to get it to look right.

Thanks.
I have tried that,
is there a way to resize the height of all of the rows at once? Ie from 0.25" to 0.36"?

Mr. Link offers the following additional suggestions (once a technical writer/editor, always a technical writer/editor):

The Microsoft Office Web site has a bunch of terrific resources, including free online courses, expanded help in the form of articles, how-to demos, and newsletter columns, and downloads of various goodies for all Office products. For example:

Excel Assistance

Excel Free Online Training

Excel Free Downloads (templates, add-ins, etc.)

For example, you can find several expanded explanations of how to arrange and view worksheets.

Let'sgoflying! said:
is there a way to resize the height of all of the rows at once? Ie from 0.25" to 0.36"?

Yes.

Use your mouse or hold the shift key while using the down arrow to paint over all of the rows you want to adjust.

Then follow the menu path Format Row Height.

A small dialog box will be presented. Enter the height value in the box and click the OK command button.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Yes.

Use your mouse or hold the shift key while using the down arrow to paint over all of the rows you want to adjust.

Then follow the menu path Format Row Height.

A small dialog box will be presented. Enter the height value in the box and click the OK command button.

Len

You can also highlight all the rows as described above, then position the cursor in between the row dividers on the left, and click-and-drag the row heights as desired. A small box will appear showing the row height in pixels. This works for column width as well.

Jeff

Thats great...
Now; any ideas on how to eliminate the lower margin completely?
I want the print to start 1/4" from the very bottom.
Tried Borderless Printing no joy,
Tried making bottom margin 0.0" no joy.

Many printers simply will not allow completely borderless printing, but you can get the border down to its absolute minimum by setting the page margin at the bottom to 0, and by setting the footer margin to 0.

You won't get any closer to the edge of the page than that if you're using an inkjet or laser printer in most cases.

Nick - please unquote the spammer. You're just helping them spam :)

Back