Mr Bullwinkle...guess what I saw?

Drowning Worms

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Drowning Worms
N130AW

Was driving by the airport Thursday pm. and there she sat with her cover on.

DW

edit: Bullwinkle != Bull.

dang. Thought I stumbled on something awesome.

Last edited:
Mr. Bullwinkle is Andy Walker from Athens, GA and he has been taking Sport Pilot training at KLZU here in Georgia in the aforementioned tail number Zodiac. A few weeks ago on the very day he hoped to solo someone bent that plane while landing at 19A in Jackson County. The plane has just gotten back forom being repaired and was actually on display this morning at the EAA 690 chapter pancake breakfast. I'm sure Andy can add any details I missed.

Jeez, nothing gets by you guys...

Thanks for the heads up! I heard that the plane was returning to service May 2. Unfortunately, with the NTSB badness surrounding the Zodiacs, the school has opted to ground the plane until the situation causing structural failure accidents is resolved.

I'm taking the week of May 30 - June 6 and traveling to Lockwood Aviation in Sebring, FLA. I'll be flying a Tecnam P-92 Echo Super, and can hopefully finish off my certificate flying 3-4 hours a day.

Thanks for the heads up! I heard that the plane was returning to service May 2. Unfortunately, with the NTSB badness surrounding the Zodiacs, the school has opted to ground the plane until the situation causing structural failure accidents is resolved.

I'm taking the week of May 30 - June 6 and traveling to Lockwood Aviation in Sebring, FLA. I'll be flying a Tecnam P-92 Echo Super, and can hopefully finish off my certificate flying 3-4 hours a day.

The delay sucketh, but good luck on the intensive completion program- I think it sounds like a lot of fun!

I asked Lanny what he was doing with his Zodiacs and he told me that he didn't need to do anything since his planes were Part 23 certified and the issue didn't pertain to them.

Ahh, that's Lanny's plane? I would have gone to work for his wife at Winder if I hadn't come to Texas in April 2008. He didn't have a job for me but sent me her way. Nice guy!

Since you're somewhat new to the airport game, you should know that the use of these three words in sequence is not a likely outcome for any endeavor in this arena, unles they refer to the amount of money left in your account.

I asked Lanny what he was doing with his Zodiacs and he told me that he didn't need to do anything since his planes were Part 23 certified and the issue didn't pertain to them.

Eric, the LSA instructor there, said the school was voluntarily grounding the plane until AMD/Zenith/FAA figured out the problem.

Since you're somewhat new to the airport game, you should know that the use of these three words in sequence is not a likely outcome for any endeavor in this arena, unles they refer to the amount of money left in your account.

While that is certainly true, I'm pretty confident I can knock it out. I already have 20 hours flying in, completed my written, and am endorsed to solo (in the Zodiac). I've scheduled 21-28hrs of flying time at Lockwood, which should be enough time to familiarize with the Tecnam, do my solo work, and prep for/take the checkride.

If not, I'll just get to schedule another trip! :smilewinkgrin:

Part 23 Certified? I don't think so.

Yeah, they are S-LSA for sure, conforming to ASTM standards.

Part 23 is "regular" certified aircraft. There are no Part 23 Certified S-LSA.

The S-LSA are probably going to be the only planes grounded if a grounding happenes at all.

The S-LSA are probably going to be the only planes grounded if a grounding happenes at all.

Exactly, I was agreeing with you. :)

He was probably confused by AMD's statement that the Zodiac SLSA is built in a Part 23 certified factory. (They also built the Part 23 Alarus. Dunno if they kept the certification, since they're not building the Alarus any more there.)

Probably so. There's some question as to whether the FAA could effectively ground the entire Zodiac experimental fleet even if they were so inclined.

Back