Mr. Bill's first solo

txnightster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill D.
Well, I wanted to thank everyone for letting me lurk around learn from your experiences.

I have been training out of Addison TX and this afternoon I got the first opportunity to solo. What an excellent experience!! My instructor and I flew from ADS to 52F and we did a few landings and then out he went.

I executed 3 nice full stops in a pretty good 14kt headwind and called it a day!

Thanks for letting me brag and if I can do anything to help anyone just let me know.

Bill D.

Since your bummin on the west side, don't forget to hop over to Alliance and ask the tower crew for a tour.

I did my solo flight there and they let my instructor and my Dad watch from the cab.

Congrats! Good thing you didn't have to do your solo at Addison. The traffic there can be nuts.

My headquarters office is about a half mile from the Addison airport and before too long I will be flying there occasionally. I don't look forward to it. I am a boondocks, non controlled field flyer.

Keep us posted on your training.
Doc

Quick update on my training.

I wasn't able to fly for 3 weeks because of the usual issues. But yesterday I went back up for 2hrs with my instructor and did 8 or so full stops at 52F. The winds were crossing the runway so my CFI stayed in the plane and it was a great experience. A few planes working in the pattern and it was fun to watch everyone navigate with the wind. With my confidence back up I was given permission to fly solo this morning from ADS to 52F.

I arrived early at the baby bird this morning and waited until 7:00 to taxi out. The winds were 10@330 so I took of on runway 33 behind all the big planes. Its a different perspective going that way but it made my trip to 52 F a little bit shorter. As I climbed above 1200msl the winds really picked up and I could tell I was going to have to crab into the wind to go out above Lake Lewisville. My indicated airspeed was 120mph but I was probably only doing 100mph because of the headwind.

I had never landed on 35 at 52F so I did some thinking about that on the way over. Those trees at the end of 35 were easily cleared with only 20 degrees of flaps. My airspeed was right at 65mph on final so I didn't see the need let out more flaps. The ground effect was pretty strong and the little bird floated down 1/2 the runway before landing. I had to fight the urge to drop the nose and just listen to the whine of the stall horn as I coasted down the runway.

As I taxied I could see the weather rolling in, so I made the decision to not shoot any more landings at 52F. I was concerned about the winds continuing to pick up and possibly shifting across the runway. As I left 52F it turned out to be a good decision because the winds were definitely picking up. As I flew over the lake I could see some white caps that weren't there before. As I came back over the lake I got handed back to ADS tower and they asked me to make a left downwind for 33. My only experience landing on 33 has been to make a right traffic pattern over the tollway and those large buildings. I definitely like the left pattern better. It was easy to pick up the runway on final and I felt like the runway had a tracker beam drawing me to the numbers.
I did a no flaps landing and was asked to expedite my runway exit for some waiting traffic behind me. No doubt they were going faster than me so I scooted out of the way.

I always laugh when the 150 comes peddling in as some biz jet is sitting idling at the hold short line. I always wonder if those pilots would trade places to go pleasure flying in a 50 yr old C150 instead of jockeying around grumpy customers. Being able to fly out of ADS is a privilege I hope isn't taken away from us.

Bill,

Is 52F Mckinney?

I have really mixed feelings about your flying out of Addison. On the one hand I feel sorry for you having to deal with the tower and the traffic. On the other hand I see it as really good to get comfortable with the tower and the traffic from the get go. I guess you just can't have it both ways.

It doesn't sound like your three weeks off had any negative effect. In my tailwheel training I've had numerous delays for various reasons. I felt that not flying often was holding me back and I think it did slow down my training. Now that I feel comfortable with the taildragger, I don't think delays will hurt me as much.

That said, I'm trying to shoot as many landings as I can in the short term in an effort to BURN IT INto my brain.

Glad it's going well. Keep us posted.
Doc

Doc,
52F is Northwest Regional in Roanoke TX. It is east of I35 directly across from Texas Motor Speedway.

The experience at ADS has been mostly positive. I enjoy looking at the wide variety of aircraft and there is a good amount of hanger flying to be had if you just look around. If you plan around the typical busy times you can avoid a wait. Getting comfortable with the radio work and the tower hasn't been too difficult. Those guys are just there to help and I have more confidence that they are watching me putt across the sky.

I'd love to see your C140. Everything I have heard says that they are fantastic planes to own.

Have a great weekend and get out and enjoy the cool temps!

Bill D.

Bill,

Once you get where you can venture out far enough, meet me at Bonham Jones Field and I'll show her to you. I am cut loose to solo but can only go 25NM. If you get to where you can make it to Sherman Municipal KSWI, I am good to solo there and I'd be glad to meet you there one day.

I should be done with my private in a month or two, assuming I have no more significant delays like getting sick again.

As far as flying to Addison to see you, it will be awhile before I'm to that point.

Yes, the 140 is a wonderful little plane. Mine has a custom panel, so in the air it not only flies much like a 150, but my panel makes a 150 pilot right at home (I spent about 35 hours in a late model 150 before buying Miss Piggy.) I'm sure that I'm biased, but mine is an exceptional example of a 140. I can trim her out in straight and level flight and she flies beautifully hands off. She also has been modified in many different areas and lots of money poured into her over the years. The custom panel was paid for by a previous owner whose wife earned her IR in this plane.

Come see us!
Doc

I have really mixed feelings about your flying out of Addison. On the one hand I feel sorry for you having to deal with the tower and the traffic. On the other hand I see it as really good to get comfortable with the tower and the traffic from the get go. I guess you just can't have it both ways.

Addison is really pretty good for novice pilots. I learned to fly thirty years ago out of a grass strip on a rice farm in SE Texas, and subsequently flew mostly in and out of uncontrolled airports.

Then I went a lot of years without flying and when I stuck my hand back in it was at ADS. The field is busy, no question, but I have found that everyone is usually very patient and helpful, including the tower personnel. They recognize that they're sequencing corporate jets right along with flight school 152's and they've learned to deal with it.

Cheers and good luck!

When I flew the 152 into KSTS and saw larger planes "waiting" for me to land it always felt strange to me too.

I need to get out there and go to bigger airports.

Cool to see another pilot training in the smaller plane. I got checked out in a 172 but I (for now) prefer the little 152.

Kim,

My impression has always been that more people trained in 150/152's than in 172's. Of course, any evidence of that I've had is certainly anecdotal.

I love the little two seaters. They're just more nimble. I thought about buying something bigger and faster, but flying is measured in hours, not miles. Bigger planes burn more fuel per hour, thus cost more money to build time in. At least that's my poor boy thinking.

Doc

To me it's a challenge to get my fat ass into a 152, but without my CFI in it, it's actually an amazing machine. Right seat holds my map kit (map, e6b, and afd) and easily reachable. Right window provides a great camera mount. I try to record every solo flight I take, so I can replay it from the comfort of my home, trying to pick up things I've done wrong.

I have 2 hours logged in 172 but I am sure I can get checked out and cleared by my CFI to solo it if I want to, but 152 is not much different. Slower, but MUCH cheaper.

My tower airort landings were done in ABE, an "international" airport in class C airspace. And it was always great to see a regional jet standing right before hold short line, waiting for me to land. I bet an unfamiliar passenger in that regional jet, was thinking "there is no way we are sitting here waiting for THAT thing to land"

Last edited:
When I flew the 152 into KSTS and saw larger planes "waiting" for me to land it always felt strange to me too.

I need to get out there and go to bigger airports.

Cool to see another pilot training in the smaller plane. I got checked out in a 172 but I (for now) prefer the little 152.
One of my more memorable training flights was at KAFW doing TnG's for landing practice and "close to airport" emergencies (like engine out).

We were on 16R. What made the flight memorable was that there was a Navy BBJ (Boeing 737) doing TnG's on 16L. About every 3rd lap, we'd "catch up" with each other so that we were both on base or base to final at the same time.

Radio work that day was fun too. One time it was
(Me) "Navy BBJ, Diamond niner-pappa-alpha has a question for you..."

(Navy BBJ) "Sure thing Diamond, what you want to know?"

(Me) "That last pass was nice and close... My instructor wanted to know if you got blue eyes." (Teasing him on how close it looked like we were)

(Navy BBJ, and a different voice, with humor in it) "This is his instructor, and no, they're not blue. They're brown. Because his pattern and landings have been total ca-ca."
That got us all laughing and when KAFW tower gave us our next clearances, you could still hear them laughing in the background.

Later when I was back at KAFW for unsupervised solo practice, the Pacific Prowler came by and was working on the same runway/pattern until I was switched over. Now that was cool to see him in the same airspace as me.

Kim: Adding to what Doc said about the nimble 2-seaters, some day try to get some time in a Diamond DA20. If you like your 150/152's, you're gonna love how this little sportscar flys.

Kim: Adding to what Doc said about the nimble 2-seaters, some day try to get some time in a Diamond DA20. If you like your 150/152's, you're gonna love how this little sportscar flys.

LOL. OK. I hope to fly more planes as I gain more hours. Haven't seen a place (yet) that rents those but I don't know much.

First off to the OP mr. Bill congrats!!!

In regards to bigger planes waiting for you . . . there is only one runway in Juneau, AK and routinely the Alaska Airlines jets (737 mostly) have to hold up and wait. The pilots usually wave.

When you have to look for them for traffic they are way easier to see than all the de havillands and cessnas! (Little faster too). I would say vast majority of traffic up there is small planes.

Tight lines.

-Rob

Hey Doc, I flew to Sherman this morning. Great looking airport and easy to find off Hwy.75 I got introduced to short field and soft field work today which was a good challenge but lots of fun.

Looks like I will be able to work Sherman into my small rotation of cross country airports because it is a handy 51 nm from ADS. Maybe we can meet up there and grab a coke sometime.

Bill D.

Sounds good! Now the challenge will be making schedules match.

BTW, you are talking about Sherman Municipal KSWI?

Last edited:
Doc,
52F is Northwest Regional in Roanoke TX. It is east of I35 directly across from Texas Motor Speedway.

Been there, was a decent little airport to park at over xmas a few years back. Got my biggest x-wind landing there too.

Yep, KSWI is where I was this morning. There was zero traffic or airplanes in the area, really spooky for someone use to a crowd.

Maybe we can meet up on a weekend soon. I'm trying to fly one or two days a week in the early morning and then once on the weekend.

Bill,

I would plan on meeting you there tomorrow morning early, but I don't think the winds are going to be good for my rookie tailwheel work. If the cross wind were going to be steady, I could deal with it, but it is forecast to be a 5 to 10 MPH variable cross wind on the runways at both airports.

I want a little more duel cross wind work before I take that on. My endorsement allows for winds up to 10MPH, but when it's a gusting cross wind, the tailwheeler wants to weather vane into it.

Let's keep in touch on this though. It would be nice to fly over to Sherman for a purpose like having a soft drink with a new acquaintance, and I will always fly on a Saturday morning weather permitting.

Doc

Back