Mountain Flying Courses

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Hi, I have always wanted to fly out to California to visit my brother in San Diego. I figure that this Thanksgiving I should have the time and money to finally do this trip.

I am looking for recommendations for mountain flying Courses/CFIs as I am a flatlander from Wisconsin. I figure that I will cross the rockies on the southern route as I don't want to cross over the high mountains in Colorado. So if anyone could point out a good place to go on the eastern side of the rockies I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thakns

Pete

Unless you can wait out weather indefinately and depending on what you're flying, Thanksgiving is generally a real nasty time of year to be trying to get over those passes, especially for the first time.

Sparky's website, mountainflying.com has tons of book learnin' and PIX plus, my website has PIX & videos: mountainflyingvideos.com. Sparky could probably tell you if there's any proper mountain flying instruction available back east.

vontresc said:
Hi, I have always wanted to fly out to California to visit my brother in San Diego. I figure that this Thanksgiving I should have the time and money to finally do this trip.

I am looking for recommendations for mountain flying Courses/CFIs as I am a flatlander from Wisconsin. I figure that I will cross the rockies on the southern route as I don't want to cross over the high mountains in Colorado. So if anyone could point out a good place to go on the eastern side of the rockies I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thakns

Pete

November is actually a good month for flying in New Mexico - so I suggest a routing through Las Vegas, NM, Santa Fe, NM and Albuquerque, NM through Flagstaff, AZ And then whereever you want to go next.

If you have to, follow the highway (I25), It'll never go above 7500 ft.

I have crossed the Rockies several times and the route I take is over Rock springs , Laramie and stay north of the high country in Colo. If the weather is good this route isn't bad at all. But, I do fly in the mountains of Or. and Id. That does make a difference. There is a place in McCall Id. that gives Mountain training that is quite good.

Try the Colorado Pilots Association ( I think the website is coloradopilots.org) They probably have some classes/instructors on this side of the rockies. The McCall Idaho course is supposed to be very good but by the time you've flown there you've gone through the mountains!

I just read Sparky Imeson's book, talked to anyone I could with experience and practiced talking off at 2000-2200rpm to simulate high density altitude. I don't claim to even be good at mountain flying but it got me through the western states last summer. Nothing compares to first hand experience though and having an instructor along never hurts.

Barb

Back