Mountain Air ?

EKUFlyingJ

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
EKUFlyingJ
Quick question...is it possible to land at Mountain Air (2NC0) and play a round of golf without being a member? I have a relative visiting me from England, and he loves golf. It would be the treat of a lifetime to fly in to Mountain Air and play a round. I really wouldn't even care if it cost a small fortune, some things you just have to do once.

If it isn't possible, any other recommendations on fly-in golf courses within 200NM of Cincinnati would be appreciated!

This may be the number you called, 800-247-7791, off their web site. Another number is for the country club, 828-682-5600. Hope one of these works for you!

I know they had kind of like an 'open house' thingy where u could fly in and check the place out. I think that was back in septemberish or so. it's something I would like to do as well.

I've flew in there three years ago. You are a bit out of season right now. Their "in" season starts around Memorial weekend. There are folks at the resort but mostly staff working the place getting things ready.

The two ways most folks get in is being invited by a resident. The other way is by saying you are interested in a possible real estate purchase and arranging a tour.

To fly in, you also need to review the video on their web site (you've probably already come across it) and often speak with the chief guy of their pilots association. Make no mistake - it doesn't have the extreme high density altitude of the Western mountains, but it is very much a mountain airport.

(828) 682-1578
Burnsville, NC

Quick question...is it possible to land at Mountain Air (2NC0) and play a round of golf without being a member? I have a relative visiting me from England, and he loves golf. It would be the treat of a lifetime to fly in to Mountain Air and play a round. I really wouldn't even care if it cost a small fortune, some things you just have to do once.

If it isn't possible, any other recommendations on fly-in golf courses within 200NM of Cincinnati would be appreciated!
I would also consider NC06. The runway is 4600 feet at 3600 feet MSL. The golf course, Elk River, is adjacent to the runway and is ranked as the sixth best golf course in NC. The airport and the golf course are private. Check out the web site, www.elkriverairport.com. I believe that, if you call them, you can figure out a way to fly in and play. May have to contact Elk River Realty.

Definitely some cool flying to be done in the NC mountains. It's pretty flat here in Charlotte, but have have landed at Asheville on my way over the mountains to Johnson City, can't beat the view. Definitely looking forward to checking out some cool mountain airports in the near future.

There's also a pretty interesting video floating around of the first landing at Mountain Air - not nearly as graceful! I had considered trying to get permission to land, as my sister lives about 20 minutes from there, but decided KAVL Ashville was less risky/stressful. We did drive up to the runway, and it looked like something I wouldn't have attempted with my (at the time) 100 hours of experience.

There's also a pretty interesting video floating around of the first landing at Mountain Air...

I'm sorry, I was wrong. Was thinking about Wolf Ridge (33NR), which is about 10 miles northwest from Mountain Air. I did however find the video of the property owner making the first landing:

Back