Motion sickness pre-flight meal plan??

georgewdean

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
George Dean
One of my feels is "regurgitating" (losing my cookies) while in the air.

Is this normal in early flight training?

What are some preflight precautions one can take to help with this??

George

Others will be along shortly with better advice but...
-Fly in calmer air if possible (morning before the thermals start)
-Eat earlier before your lesson
-Avoid greasy foods before the lesson
-Consider eating candied ginger before the lesson
- If you aren't calm, find our what may be upsetting you and understand it before leaving the ground so it doesn't affect you so much
-As you fly more, you will have more control over the flight and be busier- that often helps.

Welcome to POA!

For me, chewing gum was *not* a good idea.

Stress can cause motion sickness

For many people, the more they fly the less uncomfortable it gets.
You can build up some tolerance to the bumps.

You can google more advice from the usenet archives for rec.aviation.students and rec.aviation.piloting, etc

I wish I had my Dad's stomach - he's never ever been seasick, even when
bouncing around in the galley of a 100' flat-bottom boat.

I hear that the Weightless Wonder (aka NASA's Vomit Comet) aircraft staff recommends banana's..

Turns out they don't prevent motion sickness but they dont taste so bad the second time around.

George

Happens.

Keep your head outside. Do the flying yourself.

You will build tolerance.

Let your wife drive while you read in the back seat of the car. Once you can do that you will be good.

Believe it or not, Bob Hoover had a real problem with air sickness at first.

Not sure if your comment is that you actually feel queasy, or if you are in fear of getting sick ... but here's my 2 cents regardless.

Everybody's different, but for me it was, initially, a combination of nerves and either wolfing down food right before lessons or not eating close enough to the lesson. I agree that a nice, nutritious meal that has "settled in" before you take off is the best thing. Too much coffee is not good, either, and you should be hydrated (just enough to not feel thirsty).

In the beginning, I was definitely far more likely to get a little "green around the gills" when the CFI was doing most of the flying... and if it happens to you, then you suddenly feel just fine after you get the controls, you will see how much of it is psychological. It's amazing, really. Your physical state (especially the digestive system) can make a difference, but it begins with a psychological state. There's a huge difference between anxiously waiting to execute some new maneuver and actually doing it. When you're doing it, you're too busy to get anxious (well, most people are, anyway). Or battling turbulence- hooboy, it really sucks to be a passenger in turbulence compared to having the controls yourself.

But the most common thing you will probably hear, and what you will probably discover yourself, is that in time it becomes less of a problem. So if you're merely concerned about it, try to put those worries behind you and just make sure you have your personal fuel and fluids in order before you fly. If you are already feeling sick sometimes despite being prepared and understanding the "psych factor", try to hang in here... you should overcome it in time.

Starting glider training, after over 200 hours in powered planes, re-introduced me to this whole nausea thing... first time I really dug in, trying to work thermals, I was doing most of the flying, but going around and around (and around!) in a pretty constant steep turn for almost an hour under a plastic bubble on a sunny day actually got me to the point where I said "this is not fun anymore, let's stop circling".
i was a little disappointed in myself, but I just got over it. Felt fine after that, and continued exposure to turns in the glider has me at the point now where I doubt I'll ever get queasy again. Until the next time I do aerobatics... :D

Last edited:

George

George, I had a little problem with that when I started flying at 44. In addition to the other good advice here, I would recommend that in a flight, knock off what is making you feel ill. Meaning, if you are doing maneuvers, like steep turns, tell your CFI "let's knock this off." Open the vents or windows, and do some straight and level for a while. When you're feeling better, give it a shot again. If it's a no-go, fly back to the airport and call it a day.

Flight training is a great, wonderful, fantastic journey. Don't get discouraged by a little nausea. If it takes you a little longer, all it means is more hours in your logbook. Not a bad thing.

Good luck!

George,

Interesting enough, even the most advanced pilots can still get motion sick. I started flying in 2003 and flight instructing now and it still gets to me sometimes. In my personal experience none of the natural "cures" work for me including ginger and the wrist bands, however that's just me so give them a shot. Some things I have noticed are similar to what other people say including don't eat greasy food or anything acidic. Don't fly on an empty stomach. Try eating something simple such as toast or crackers. A simple ham and cheese sandwich may be just enough too. You can even bring granola bars with you during the flight. I have a whole box at the flight school for me and whoever wants one. Don't let yourself get dehydrated, meaning drink water, soda makes you thirstier. If you find yourself getting motion sick in the airplane you can open the vents or even fly higher where its cooler and smoother. Fly during the cooler parts of the day. Fall months tend to be the nicest. Also concentrate on the airplane, your body will be telling you to concentrate more on it but remember your priorities. I've noticed that if I keep talking to friends in the cockpit, that can help. Whatever it takes to distract you. However, if it becomes too much, just land.

Long story short, these guys are right. You'll get used to it with time and build up a tolerance. However, no, it wont ever go away completely but you do learn ways to deal with it. And to answer your question, stick with light, non-greasy foods such as a sandwich (not burgers) or some crackers. Also remember to reduce your stress levels if that's part of the problem. Good thorough preflight planning will help you there. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

George

I wouldn't say "normal" but it's not rare either. A half of a toasted bagel with a bit of lean roast beef on it 30-45 minutes prior to flying is always good for preventing queezy stomach.

I'm not at all prone to motion sickness although I threw up once (I blame it on $5 sunglasses)... Then I went with the Mythbuster's advice and got ginger pills I haven't felt queasy or thrown up since... but I'm not sure if it was just a one-time thing or I built up a tolerance or it was just a one time thing.

George,

Interesting enough, even the most advanced pilots can still get motion sick. I started flying in 2003 and flight instructing now and it still gets to me sometimes.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with having to ride along with some ham fisted student at the controls.

Push, pull, yank, stomp, push, crank...

Everybody is different, no "rule" blankets all. I always "lost it" when I was a kid in the plane, couldn't do carnival rides, couldn't spin the kids in circles in the pool, couldn't even jump on the trampoline.:redface:

Got in the left seat and haven't even come close to getting sick. I've even been up when I felt like I was in a popcorn popper, solo! I do the same i've done while ride'n a plane since I was a kid, don't eat before the flight(even if it will be late evening) and drink plenty of water. Then again, I only eat one meal/day......gotta stay "thin" so I can fly the coupe.:redface:

maybe think less about getting sick and more about fly'n. Stay busy in the plane. Wish I knew what got me by, maybe that its hard to puke when your smile'n all the time.:rofl::D

btw, still have double lined trash bags for when it may happen. Those little paper bags are a joke, imho.

good luck, you'll find what works.

Its funny how ground reference maneuvers are worse for motion sickness than stalls or unusual attitudes but that's because you're closer to the ground where you're more likely to catch the thermals from afternoon heating. But if you're a student, unusual attitudes are the worst since you're under the hood.

Motion sickness is definitely not the highlight of flying and I wish there was a cure for sensitive stomach pilots but until they find a fix, you just have to deal with it the best you can. Fly on cooler days/times of day for low altitude stuff and fly high for other maneuvers/cross country flights. Do some cloud watching too, if its overcast or slightly hazy/foggy you can expect a smooth day.

Dr B's tips for surviving low level air training:

(1)Start wtih absolutely empty stomach (fast overnight)
(2)Eat at MOST 1/2 of a piece of fruit- apple, banana, orange, etc. Do NOT substitute simple sugar containing liquid. Complex starches are the BEST.
(3)Empty the bottom end, too.
(4) Just before embarking have a suck on a simple sugar - say a life saver. JUST ONE.
(5) Keep the cabin COLD. I realize in GA singles this may not be an option.
(6) Acupressure wrist band. They seem to work. I wish they had these in 1971.

(7) Finish your PVT, get the IR and never fly low again. Climb quickly above the lift line (6000 here in central Illinois today) where the smooth air is, and descent quickly to the airport at the last reasonable moment.

I was both a G and a turbulence wuss. In fact, I blew cookies at the end of one ride and the check airman had to flare it for me. Covered the instruments. Unbelievable, and cut out to be "Trash hauler".

Dr B's tips for surviving low level air training:

(1)Start wtih absolutely empty stomach (fast overnight)
(2)Eat at MOST 1/2 of a piece of fruit- apple, banana, orange, etc. Do NOT substitute simple sugar containing liquid. Complex starches are the BEST.
(3)Empty the bottom end, too.
(4) Just before embarking have a suck on a simple sugar - say a life saver. JUST ONE.
(5) Keep the cabin COLD. I realize in GA singles this may not be an option.
(6) Acupressure wrist band. They seem to work. I wish they had these in 1971.

(7) Finish your PVT, get the IR and never fly low again. Climb quickly above the lift line (6000 here in central Illinois today) where the smooth air is, and descent quickly to the airport at the last reasonable moment.

I was both a G and a turbulence wuss. In fact, I blew cookies at the end of one ride and the check airman had to flare it for me. Covered the instruments. Unbelievable, and cut out to be "Trash hauler".

A little extreme much? :smile:

How long have you been training so far??

I remember a few years ago, before i began training, i went in a seneca on a very bumpy flight up and down the Hudson river, and i remember not being able to enjoy myself because i felt so sick.

During my first lesson, i came down feeling the same way and started to question whether it was for me, but i decided to give it another go. For my second and third lessons, i took a motion sickness pill and felt fine. On my fourth lesson, i forgot to take it, and realized that i felt just fine throughout the whole flight. Fortunately for me that's all it took, and i can now handle some fairly rough turbulence.

I know most people wouldn't recommend taking motion sickness pills because of possibly impairing your motor skills, but i didn't notice any effects. Fortunately i didn't need to take them on a regular basis.

Since no one's said it yet, I will. Eat bananas. They taste the same coming up as going down.

On a more serious note though, fixes like the relief band work for people for a few flights and then not at all. My theory is that the unusual sensation of getting your wrist shocked takes your mind off the fact that you're getting other "unusual" sensations. Once getting your wrist shocked because more usual than getting bounced around, it's going to be a limited usefulness.

I'd personally go with anything the Myth Busters said and they recommended ginger.

Since no one's said it yet, I will. Eat bananas. They taste the same coming up as going down.

I'd personally go with anything the Myth Busters said and they recommended ginger.

Someone has said it, and yes I THINK that ginger pills work but not certain.

I hear that the Weightless Wonder (aka NASA's Vomit Comet) aircraft staff recommends banana's..

Turns out they don't prevent motion sickness but they dont taste so bad the second time around.

On a more serious note though, fixes like the relief band work for people for a few flights and then not at all. My theory is that the unusual sensation of getting your wrist shocked takes your mind off the fact that you're getting other "unusual" sensations. Once getting your wrist shocked because more usual than getting bounced around, it's going to be a limited usefulness.
The obvious solution then is to fly in turbulence more, so you become used to it! :yes:

Not really true. The Relief Band got me through flight training. It would be working for me now, but I have run out of gel. It takes some effort to get it properly adjusted and it never does work for some people, however, it has worked for friends for morning sickness, cancer treatment, and seasickness as well as airsickness for me. But it is expensive. I'd wait and see if the OP really has a problem -- or if he is merely anticipating one -- before recommending it.

The magic bracelet thingie works like a charm for Mrs. Steingar. I'm lucky, never prone to motion sickness. Then again, I rarely eat anything before or during a long flight. I kinda like it that way. Helps me keep my girlish figure.

Dr. Bruce's advice sounds sage, as does the ginger infusion. Good luck.

Best thing is to learn to trim the plane well and maintain control while throwing up. Eventually you get over it. I suggest avoiding hot sauce because it can be debilitating when the pepper seeds go up in your sinuses.

Interesting enough, even the most advanced pilots can still get motion sick.

I managed to make one of my CFIs airsick while doing commercial training - hot day, bumpy, and steep turns/spirals. I was fine. (and he was fine on later flights). I can be situational.

Not really true. The Relief Band got me through flight training.

I'm glad it worked for you Aunt Peggy. But it is my assertion that if you believed as strongly that wearing your underwear on the outside of your clothes while flying was a curative for motion sickness, it would have worked just as well.

I'd be happy to listen to anyone tell us about the physiological reasons why getting your wrist shocked works well on motion sickness?

I'm glad it worked for you Aunt Peggy. But it is my assertion that if you believed as strongly that wearing your underwear on the outside of your clothes while flying was a curative for motion sickness, it would have worked just as well.

I'd be happy to listen to anyone tell us about the physiological reasons why getting your wrist shocked works well on motion sickness?

First I think you'd have to understand how "motion" causes "sickness" in the first place. In any case I've had folks who didn't expect the ReliefBand to help at all find that it helps immensely. I also know that it doesn't work for everyone but since it does work for a much greater percentage of people than other more potentially placebic devices (like the "Accupresure" bracelet) it seems there might just be a real physiological benefit. My completely uneducated guess is that it somehow interferes with whatever mechanism in the nervous system is responsible for conveying the motion stimulus to the release of chemicals that cause nausea. I'm pretty sure that there are other documented examples of "crosstalk" in our nervous systems and this might just be another.

Not really true. The Relief Band got me through flight training. It would be working for me now, but I have run out of gel. It takes some effort to get it properly adjusted and it never does work for some people, however, it has worked for friends for morning sickness, cancer treatment, and seasickness as well as airsickness for me. But it is expensive. I'd wait and see if the OP really has a problem -- or if he is merely anticipating one -- before recommending it.

I loaned mine to Jay Maynard so he could make it through spin training and he said it made a big difference for him.

I have wondered how he's going to fare when giving instruction since I was able to make him queasy while flying his airplane just by rolling in and out of a couple steep turns. Hopefully he's built up some tolerance by now.

Back