Most fuel efficient GA aircraft?

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Just out of curiousity, I'm wondering what the most fuel effecient GA aircraft is. After seeing the DA-20s stats as 138ktas/5.5gph (equates to 28.85 mpg), I wondered if there was anything out there that beat it? Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm looking at production aircraft. Just wondering what strides we've made in that arena. Thanks!

wbarnhill said:
Just out of curiousity, I'm wondering what the most fuel effecient GA aircraft is. After seeing the DA-20s stats as 138ktas/5.5gph (equates to 28.85 mpg), I wondered if there was anything out there that beat it? Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm looking at production aircraft. Just wondering what strides we've made in that arena. Thanks!
Hmm, how long for fuel savings to make up for purchase price of the '20? I'll take my 16 mpg (about the same as my truck.)

alaskaflyer said:
Hmm, how long for fuel savings to make up for purchase price of the '20? I'll take my 16 mpg (about the same as my truck.)

Good point as well. I really want to put together a nice list of price vs. efficiency vs. speed spreadsheet to basically determine what the best bang for the buck is.

open it up to experimentals and you can get some formula 1 racers operating on O-200's or less going 150 kts or more, easily. pretty dang efficient in cruise, but need a long runway and i hope you dont want to take any baggage with you. as far as production, i know of nothing that gets that good of mileage, ignoring purchase price.

Tigers and Cheetahs are not the most fuel efficient but they are pretty efficient aircraft. If you want to factor in purchase price of the late 70's models, they look pretty attractive considering "all in" costs and operating expenses. In this environment of rising fuel costs, they should look pretty attractive for speed/range vs cost.

If your talking Used I'd have to guess that the Mooneys have a top spot in the list

wbarnhill said:

Production? Until you get into very expensive motor gliders (which is basically what the powered line of Diamonds grew out of and you can see the glider philosophy in their designs) that's gonna be pretty good. You gotta go experimental to do better. Think conjoined wing, doesn't need a tail and has a huge CG envelope. You can also use a much smaller chord.

I bet for $850,000, I can get you a flying car with a Vso <38kts, Vno 240+(I'm looking for 300) burning diesel/kero at about the same rate. BTW, did anyone who was at Oshkosh hear anything about the centenial challenge flying car competition?

Steve said:
Efficiency and utility aren't always found together in equal proportion in airplane design. There's a competition ongoing to find the perfect combination.

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pav_home.php

Yeah, what happenned (haven't opened the link yet)? They are not on top of things over there. What did (or did they) announce at Oshkosh? I can probably make that machine happen, but to make it into a mass use system, it will require some moderate overhead launch catch infrastructure throughout the dense urban areas. Large suburban roads may suffice, rural is in your yard. These guys aren't doing anything though, and it's gonna take more than $250K, but the potential royalty profit from the patent rights is enormous. The idea is there and well formed, it just requires funding. I'll get this guy some money, this idea will work and it will be safe and efficient. As for the guidance and flight control stuff, I guess when we can prove an airframe we can stir some interest from Honeywell or the like.

Last edited:
They're waiting for $$ to support the competition...

The opening of the competition awaits the non-profit CAFE Foundation receiving adequate funding contributions to build the flight test infrastructures necessary for a fair and accurate contest. Please click [ here ] to contribute to making this happen.

wbarnhill said:

And if you move up to the four-seaters, the Diamond DA40XL is pretty darn good too. They advertise 158ktas at about 10gph. From talking to the pilot that brought it to the show, 150ktas is a more realistic speed but that's darn respectable for 180hp.

If you fly your airplane at best glide, you will have the most fuel efficent airframe, so if saving $ is all you are worried about, there you go!.

However, in real life, while I will make the best attempt to get a good fuel price (airnav.com/100ll.com) , if the cost of the gas is a factor, you may want to find a different hobby.

Hello everyone, first post here. I am the new owner of a Mooney M20E, and I bought the airplane because of its' reputation for fuel efficiency and speed. I flew last Saturday, logging about a 1.8 block to block, with about half the flight at 60% power sight-seeing, and then the other half doing touch and go's. After landing the FBO put 11 gallons in the bird. I thought that was pretty good for low-level flying. Jason

Guitarcrazy said:
Hello everyone, first post here. I am the new owner of a Mooney M20E, and I bought the airplane because of its' reputation for fuel efficiency and speed. I flew last Saturday, logging about a 1.8 block to block, with about half the flight at 60% power sight-seeing, and then the other half doing touch and go's. After landing the FBO put 11 gallons in the bird. I thought that was pretty good for low-level flying. Jason

First off, welcome to the Board, Jason, it's a nice place to chat.

Second, just how many "Jasons" are we allowed to have around here? :p

Third (and back on topic), your experience and the testimony of other "Mooneyacs" around here make a compelling case for the Kerrville Speed Merchants. Sounds awfully good.

wbarnhill said:
That's 14.42 miles per 4 seater gallon, which the 160 knot M20J at 10 gph is handily beating. Plus, it can do IFR while the DA 20 sits and sits.

But the DA42 has everyone beat. 140 kts on 8 gph. 17.5 mpg. And TWO mills. Unfortunately you have to WEAR the airplane, like all Diamonds.

Last edited:
larrysb said:
My buddy has an Arrow 180 that I've personally witnessed 8.9 gph and 145kts TAS. No BS.

Don't know if it is the best, but it is certainly up there in efficiency.
....which none of us with lots of arrow time believe. 135 kts, yes.

How do you define the most efficient? In my A-36, I often got over 10 miles per gallon at 180 TAS with four aboard (and lots of baggage). That was over 70% power and well above best glide.
Are you talking about just lowest fuel burn? Lots of things to consider. I could have done much better at lower power setting, but that's not why I purchased the A-36 with the turbo.

Best,

Dave

bbchien said:
....which none of us with lots of arrow time believe. 135 kts, yes.

I've not seen those kind of speeds in any Arrows I've been in and none of them were ratty, flightline aircraft. All privately owned and well maintained.

larrysb said:
My buddy has an Arrow 180 that I've personally witnessed 8.9 gph and 145kts TAS. No BS.

Sure that wasn't 145 mph TAS? or 145 Kt GS?

I've never heard of Arrows mentioned in the context of "most efficient" before.

bbchien said:
That's 14.42 miles per 4 seater gallon, which the 160 knot M20J at 10 gph is handily beating. Plus, it can do IFR while the DA 20 sits and sits.

But the DA42 has everyone beat. 140 kts on 8 gph. 17.5 mpg. And TWO mills. Unfortunately you have to WEAR the airplane, like all Diamonds.

Dr. Bruce- isn't that 17.5 nautical m/gallon? Using the statute miles for comparison with cars, that comes to 20.1 mpg. The math is right- just checking we are talking about the same miles here.

Cap'n Jack said:
Dr. Bruce- isn't that 17.5 nautical m/gallon? Using the statute miles for comparison with cars, that comes to 20.1 mpg. The math is right- just checking we are talking about the same miles here.
If you really want to compare it to a car you need to add another 25% because you fly strait line and the car usually travels 25% farther following roads to get to the same place.

larrysb said:
One Hundred Fourty Five FREAKING KNOTS. TRUE.
I bought the gas after riding in it 400 miles and I know how many gallons I put in.

As one with both Arrow and Mooney time, I was also very skeptical of your observation. But what the heck, you saw what you saw.

Now about this Part 91 violation... :D

larrysb said:
One Hundred Fourty Five FREAKING KNOTS. TRUE.

I am NOT a F****ing idiot. I can read an airspeed indicator and I can do TAS calculations.

Airpseed indicator error??? :D

Anthony said:
Airpseed indicator error??? :D

IIRC from the Cherokee board, Larry and his friend did the GPS 4 course and verified the 145KTAS. I know everyone hates the Arrows, and the model I'm in will certainly not do that, but with some mods and such, who knows.

larrysb said:
Exactly. This particular Arrow 180 will consistently turn in 143-146 kts, TAS. The only significant mod is LASAR ignition, which is responsible for the low-fuel flows. No BS speed mod hooplah. This particular plane has a history of exemplary and expert maintenance. No-winds fuel economy works out to about 18 MPG (statute) which is amazing.

Sounds like one really well rigged Arrow.

JRitt said:
If you really want to compare it to a car you need to add another 25% because you fly strait line and the car usually travels 25% farther following roads to get to the same place.

Of course, that changes if you fly IFR & sufficiently annoy the controller who then routes you from KMIV to KACY via KSFO (Millville, NJ to Atlantic City, NJ via San Francisco):rolleyes:

Oh if only the homebuilts could be included. . .

I can pull the RV8 back to around 55% and still make 160 kts and only burn around 8 gph. 23 mpg going three miles per minute.

Took a two hour test flight ride in a (Lancair) Legacy with the Continental IO550N. Averaged a bit over 230 knots with a fuel flow indication of just under 15 gph. That's going four times faster than I usually average on a highway (with traffic stops, detours, towns, etc) and averaging almost 18 mpg.

That's why other than the old 172, I'll probably never own another certified aircraft after we sell the Cardinal. You can just get far more airplane for your aviation unit with homebuilts.

Regards.

-JD

Back