Most Extreme Airports on the History Channel

Mine would have to be 8A6, 2835 x 40 ft runway, so not much room to get anything but center. Both ends of the runway has 50 foot obstacles, on 17 it's trees, and on 35 it's power lines, and trees. The airport also has deer, so before you land or take off, you have to make sure that deers aren't going to cross your path.

the mountain makes it hard to find the runway the first time you go.
I had kind of forgotten about that besides I probably approached steeper than you did. All I distinctly remember about it was the snow on the runway and how I almost got stuck trying to do a 180 because the airplane would not follow the nosewheel very well even using differential power (it was a King Air).

Or Scotland. We used to run down Loch Ness below the road level. Folks were always watching and waving. Lotta fun. And thanks, taxpayers, for funding us.:wink2:
Was that in the Ardvark?

I was coming into RAF Lakenheath flying a PA38 and got a call to look for traffic, two F-111s were flying below me and I was at 1800MSL which for the Lakenheath area is about 1805' AGL ;)

I had kind of forgotten about that besides I probably approached steeper than you did. All I distinctly remember about it was the snow on the runway and how I almost got stuck trying to do a 180 because the airplane would not follow the nosewheel very well even using differential power (it was a King Air).

Yeah, then you didn't have to squeeze through the pass to get into the valley. My wife couldn't see the airport until I turned base. (She was getting a bit nervous)

3. TFFJ - St. Barth's - Short, downhill runway, slam-dunk approach over a hill with automotive traffic at the top.

Speaking of St. Barth's...

I know you've all seen video's of the "drop it in over the cliff road" landings, and even of the twin that with the overrun into the beach at the end. But check out this video of the Texas Flying Legends 2011 Airshow at St. Barth's. Sailboat strafing runs, the sounds of Merlins wizzing past your head on the flight line... :thumbsup: I'd sure volunteer to make the flight there and back!

Be sure to kick this into 720p HiDef:

Speaking of St. Barth's...

I know you've all seen video's of the "drop it in over the cliff road" landings, and even of the twin that with the overrun into the beach at the end. But check out this video of the Texas Flying Legends 2011 Airshow at St. Barth's. Sailboat strafing runs, the sounds of Merlins wizzing past your head on the flight line... :thumbsup: I'd sure volunteer to make the flight there and back!

Be sure to kick this into 720p HiDef:

I want you to know that I wasn't smiling during that. Not. One. Bit.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Back