Most Challenging Airport

Psjair

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Psjair
I'm pretty new here but have been lurking for a while. I love reading you guys and gals stories considering the amount of experience it seems like you all possess. Hopefully i posted this question in the appropriate area. I have a simple (maybe not so simple) question.

What is the most challenging airport you've ever landed at? Could be because of traffic, weather, altitude, ATC, etc.

A strip on the north shore of Kamloops Lake in BC...uphill to land, downhill to take off. When landing, you roll until the airplane has almost stopped and then turn 90 degrees to avoid rolling backward. My experience was in a Cherokee 235. No prior experience or practice, you have to be right the first time.

Bob Gardner

For me Buttery Valley Golf Port. not only do golf carts go back and forth across the runway half of the runway is paved half is grass. TREES & SUBSTANTIAL TERRAIN ELEVATION CHANGES WITHIN 125 FT OF EACH RY EDGE. Its only 24ft wide and there are very tall trees at both ends of the runway so you better be able to do those performance charts they will come in handy here.

For me it's always a super skinny runway that's short. Example 2500ft X 35ft wide.

Kneeland (O19) in Humboldt County, California. On the top of a mountain, with a mountain peak in the pattern, runway sloped. Definitely built my character as a new pilot.

Welcome any runway under 2000 ft and norrow. Like the chalange.

2W2 - Clearview Airpark

1840x30, 2.1% slope, trees at either end.

It's not an impossible strip -- they do training there -- but it sure does look narrow when you're used to more "normal" runways at typical urban airports. That and the realization that it's less than the wingspan of a 172.

Last edited:
So far, SZP.

2700' x 60', which isn't bad, but...

It's a combined runway/taxiway with aircraft on both sides, vehicles zipping across the runway, powerlines and other obstructions, lots of mechanical turbulence from structures and a gusty crosswinds, and a non-standard 600 AGL pattern tight and low against a mountain.

Roosterville 0N0, Kansas City, 2700X20. Flew in there a couple of times when I was looking at and then buying my 235. One of my best landings ever was there, 15knot direct crosswind, nailed it perfectly. My CFI A&P was along to do the prebuy on the 235, he looked over and said "Damn that was nice":D

Sedona, AZ. It is located on a plateau. On approach thr down drafts csn push you done into the cliffs. Over run the runway and you go off a cliff.

Los Cruces, NM. Located on a plateau, it has a one way runway. No matter what the winds are doing. :eek:

Sedona, AZ. It is located on a plateau. On approach thr down drafts csn push you done into the cliffs. Over run the runway and you go off a cliff.

Los Cruces, NM. Located on a plateau, it has a one way runway. No matter what the winds are doing. :eek:

That's a beautiful airport, though. (sedona)

UT25 (Monument Valley) is also interesting from a go-around perspective.

Most challenging airport I've been onboard for a landing at (not flying) was an un-named field 1500' long and with one end 200' higher than the other. Go-arounds were not possible.

2W2 - Clearview Airpark

1840x30, 2.1% slope, trees at either end.

It's not an impossible strip -- they do training there -- but it sure does look narrow when you're used to more "normal" runways at typical urban airports. That and the realization that it's less than the wingspan of a 172.

That's the trickiest one I've flown into too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 2.1% is an average from one end to the other. The hill at the approach end of 32 is really pretty steep. I landed/departed 14 when I was there, but I'd imagine landing down the slope is even trickier.

The downriver approach to Mackay Bar (1900'x200', elev. 2172') in Idaho is a challenge, but after you come around the bend in the river just before the runway, it's pretty straightforward.

P1070964.JPG

P1070907.JPG

I made a low approach at Mile Hi (560' x 30', elev. 5831') once, but didn't try to land. In the photo below a yellow PA-12 is just visible parked at the top of the runway.

P1040404.JPG

Landing at a high altitude refuel point just big enough for an Apache with Chinooks all around, on a low illum night under FLIR is by far the hardest approach I've done. In an airplane, 5NC3 a 2500x36 strip with tall pine trees on each end. Not too difficult.

I think the most challenging I've done was Richmond RI (08R). It's 2100 x 30 completely surrounded by tall trees. Not impossible, but considering I had less than 75 hrs in the logbook at the time, let's say the pucker factor was high.

Here I'm 2 miles south of Mammoth Yosemite in my light sport.

I'll pick Mammoth Yosemite due to all the wind shear from the high terrain.

Attachments

• Mammoth Yosemite Airport.jpg
    Mammoth Yosemite Airport.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Do you mean Los Alamos (KLAM)? KLXU is actually pretty easy since it has multiple runways in the middle of nowhere in a flat area.

Here I'm 2 miles south of Mammoth Yosemite in my light sport.

I'll pick Mammoth Yosemite due to all the wind shear from the high terrain.

My friend was telling me yesterday that his friend wouldn't fly into there with his Bonanza. I thought of you but didn't say anything.

I think the most challenging I've done was Richmond RI (08R). It's 2100 x 30 completely surrounded by tall trees. Not impossible, but considering I had less than 75 hrs in the logbook at the time, let's say the pucker factor was high.

I immediately thought of Richmond 08R too.... I went in there once when I was messing around in a 172 years ago to check out a T33 project that was rumored to be there.

Landing in Mattituck was always fun in a Chieftain when the wind was out of the south.......

Compared to some of those mountain airports out west, my east coast light airplane experience is pretty benign.

Last edited:
My friend was telling me yesterday that his friend wouldn't fly into there with his Bonanza. I thought of you but didn't say anything.

I've read that the minimum should be a twin turbine.

I remember landing my 600lb gross weight Quad City Challenger when the 2 Centurions in front of me diverted to Bishop.

N72 Warwick Muni
2150 x28 On 21 approach can't see run way on down wind or first half of base, because of trees. Steep hill with tall trees on final and a lake four feet off the south end of run way. Last cross country dual with instructor.
I think it must be harder for the instructor just sitting and watching.

I flew in Alaska for many years. Difficult runways was just a normal day at the office.

One runway was a military out post. I can only say that it was in Alaska. It had about a 15% up slope, gravel, and a military ATC giving advice since his office was in the clouds. Land uphill, take off down hill. The normal procedure was to stay below the clouds, slow flight the plane, full flaps, aim for about halfway up the hill and wait for contact with the ground. Then half throttle or more to taxi up to the flat parking area. Also the parking area was usually in the clouds. To depart, Contact the ATC and ask for any traffic because we are still in the clouds, then start the downhill roll. I forgot to mention the down hill end of the runway ends in the bay. While going down hill, wait for rotation speed, hope you are out of the clouds before hitting the water. After lift off, hold a level attitude to build air speed, hope the clouds dont go down to the water, usually a turn to the west over open water and a clear sky. If successful, thank God and hope I dont have to come back again. Years earlier a DC-6 (C-54) tried a go around, it was still on the hill side about a half mile past the top end of the runway. I can say those military folks were always very happy to see me. I had their mail, food and new movies for them. They didnt have DirectV or internet. I went into this strip in a Cessna 206, 207 and Caravan.

Another memorable runway was a one way in, one way out private strip for a hunting guide. I would fly hunters in and out for him. The runway was a mixture of dirt and grass, rough, long enough with about a 5% upslope. It was about 1000 feet surrounded by tall trees that also made the runway boundry. The approach end started at a beautiful glacier lake, torquoise blue water with about a 20 foot sand beach. The sand was the touchdown point. About 500 feet down the runway, the runway made a 40% turn. The strip was just an area where the trees had been knocked down by a bulldozer, so the upturned roots were there waiting to catch the wing tips. It was a good 60 feet wide so there was not much worry about hitting a stump. The turn was made by using rudder and right brake pedal, and was usually made at about 40 knots. Watch out for horses and/or moose grazing on the runway. Departure was just the opposite, taking off in the other direction. Taxi towards the end of the runway and during the turn around, full throttle was applied before making the first 90% of the 180% turn, or you wouldn't have enough airspeed before hitting the lake. Not to mention any engine hiccup would put you into the 34F degree water. But it was beautiful water. After rotation, the departure was like any other normal departure. I always enjoyed it because some hunter would always ask me if the first time I landed there was I nervous. I would make my hand shake, show it to them and reply, "Why yes, yes I was a little nervous". I only used the C-206 for this strip.

Living in the Caribbean is fun!!!!
Most Challenging for me:

1. St Barths
2. Culebra, Puerto Rico (TJCP)

If you can land on any of those, all others are piece of cake....:yes:

I'm pretty sure Los Cruces airport has a new location about 5 miles away from what you describe. I was there about 2 months ago and saw the big white X on the plateau airfield. Looked pretty cool though.

Grand Keppel Island, Australia. The strip sets in a little gap between two rocks that form the island. Winds were howling and tricky there.

Living in the Caribbean is fun!!!!

Most Challenging for me:

1. St Barths

2. Culebra, Puerto Rico (TJCP)

If you can land on any of those, all others are piece of cake....:yes:

On a charter flight into Culebra, the pilot warned the passengers that the landing would "look scary", but not to worry.

:)

Back