more winter riding

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
..Went and rode my nighthawk some more today.

I rode it to a friends, and then remembered that I forgot to turn my heated grips off. Which means = Dead Battery.

So he recoded me push starting it...

http://www.jesseangell.com/video/nighthawkpushstart.wmv

Oh.. I added a relay as soon as I got home to prevent this from happening again.

It's pretty sandy around here this time of year. There really is no traction. You can see how I left a pretty good chunk of rubber on the road already.

Plus.. I'd rather not bust my ass in front of the camera, I'm not exactly on top of my game as far as riding goes until well into the summer...Plus, I try to keep that stuff on the track and off the road :)..I can't afford my insurance as it is :(

Last edited:
I've had to push start many a cycle. 2nd gear? I always found 2nd gear let it turn over better.

N2212R said:
I've had to push start many a cycle. 2nd gear? I always found 2nd gear let it turn over better.

Yup. I always use 2nd gear.

jangell said:
It's pretty sandy around here this time of year. There really is no traction.

Sand. :eek: Ball bearings. I hate that stuff. Give me a dirt road, rain or snow packed surface over that mess any day.

Both feet on one side while push starting? I guess I cheeken. I make an extra hop and get all the way on lest I do a get off on the wrong side.

We drove the Element over to Seattle on Saturday morning. Passes were bare and dry but a bit cool (about 27F). Skies were clear and beautiful. Got to Fife around 10ish (had to drop off some windshields at the distributor. Then headed up to the northern part of Seattle to the Moto Guzzi dealer. Our new Nevada was ready to come home. (My Breva will be taken out of the crate and assembled this week...yeah!!)

Left Seattle around 1330ish, and decided to head back over I-90 instead of US2. Pete is all smilies on the new bike. Eastbound out of Issiquah, I noticed the peaks around Snoqualimie were looking a bit 'misty'. I get a call from Pete who tells me that he stopped at the Denny Creek chain up area cause it was getting cold. (I'm about 20 miles behind him). I get closer to where he was and it started snowing. OAT dropped to about 24, but there was so much chemical on the ground, nothing stuck. Not sure what happened to our clear blue skies. No precipitation was forcasted and I even checked the weather before we left the bike shop. I felt pretty bad for him, knowing how miserable I would have been, out there in the wet and cold.

Today wasn't so bad, high of about 43F. We took the bikes into town, washed all the chemicals off the Nevada, put it to bed at the shop and took our little Rebels home. Chance of snow and definate rain tomorrow, so looks like we'll be driving the car in. :(

Jesse,

It's going to be 81F and 84F on Tuesday and Wednesday here. I am going to try and get my 1500cc Vulcan out and blow the cobwebs off of it. It's been about three weeks....she needs it.B)

jangell said:

I rode it to a friends, and then remembered that I forgot to turn my heated grips off. Which means = Dead Battery.

Heated grips?!?!? What's the world coming too? :D:D

N2212R said:

I recall that it helps a lot if you drop your posterior onto the seat as hard as you can just as you pop the clutch. Been a long time though.

This photo is nearly 30 years old now, so please, please ignore the hair.:redface:

oqeg4x.jpg

lancefisher said:
I recall that it helps a lot if you drop your posterior onto the seat as hard as you can just as you pop the clutch. Been a long time though.

Yeah, but with second gear there is less torque than in first gear so the back tire won't lock up as easily. I still get all my weight on it when I do it in second.

Frank Browne said:
This photo is nearly 30 years old now, so please, please ignore the hair.:redface:

oqeg4x.jpg

Hah, rebel without a clue!

Frank Browne said:
Boy, things have sure changed from when I used to ride the Big Green Machine!

Friend of mine has a new BMW bike. Along with an electrically moviable windshield, he has heated grips also with a plug in for a heated leather jacket.

jangell said:

Thought you meant bicycle at first. I did that yesterday!!!

I love winter riding whether it is motorized or not. There is something refreshing about actually being outside instead of listening to the furnace kcik off again.

Brent Bradford said:
Friend of mine has a new BMW bike. Along with an electrically moviable windshield, he has heated grips also with a plug in for a heated leather jacket.

Yup, my BMW has all that. Good stuff for those 25F mornings. (acutally, my record low so far is 14F, and I won't go below that, as I'd have to change to a lighter weight engine oil.)

Bill Jennings said:
Yup, my BMW has all that. Good stuff for those 25F mornings. (acutally, my record low so far is 14F, and I won't go below that, as I'd have to change to a lighter weight engine oil.)

The plug in jacket is also marketed to ragtop owner. I have a BMW M-Roadster and it would be good for that when riding top down in the winter. I won't do because I don't have tires that work when it is colder than 30F

Too many stop signs on that street...

What ever happened to kick starters? Had one on every bike I ever owned.:yes:

NC Pilot said:

When electric start became the norm they stopped including them. That was back in the early 80's. But there are probably a few still out there with 'em

smigaldi said:
I won't do because I don't have tires that work when it is colder than 30F

I modify my riding style in several steps, one at about 45F, another around freezing, and get really conservative as temps drop past the mid-20's. Motorcycle tires must have some heat in them to be fully useful.

Here's one of my little sister. I have a couple of me back in 1980 or so with my bikes, but I have to find them first.
lsister.jpg

terry

terzap said:
Here's one of my little sister.

I love it, chicks + leathers + bikes works for me! Is she still racing? I did a good number of track days, but never went all the way and started racing.

One track day a friend of mine and his girlfriend went, and they took turns riding his CBR1100XX (powerful bike). We were riding at NHIS in New Hampster, and I'm never forget Laura coming off the final infield turn and onto the main straight. Right at max lean, she consistantly drifted the back tire out under power, laying a nice black stripe on the pavement, lap after lap. She smoked many of the guys, and most wouldn't even look at her, let alone talk to her. We laughed our butts off. What a hoot!

Bill Jennings said:
I love it, chicks + leathers + bikes works for me! Is she still racing? I did a good number of track days, but never went all the way and started racing.

One track day a friend of mine and his girlfriend went, and they took turns riding his CBR1100XX (powerful bike). We were riding at NHIS in New Hampster, and I'm never forget Laura coming off the final infield turn and onto the main straight. Right at max lean, she consistantly drifted the back tire out under power, laying a nice black stripe on the pavement, lap after lap. She smoked many of the guys, and most wouldn't even look at her, let alone talk to her. We laughed our butts off. What a hoot!

funny thing, Bill, my sister's name is Laura, and yes, she still is racing.

terry

NC Pilot said:

When stationed in Italy I had a ducati 450 one lunger with kick start and a compression release. After one trip over the handlebars, I learned about coordinating the kicking and releasing......but it was fun to ride anyway.

Had a few others....Honda 500, BMW R65, KZ900 and then for a commuter a KZ440. Always fun and only got minor road rash a few times. My fault.

I started off with a Kawasaki 100 street/trail, then a Kawasaki 350 triple 2-stroke (what a quick bike that was!), a Yamaha 650 twin and finished my riding just before getting married on a Yamaha XS1100 ...now I get my bike fix with the top off the jeep in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter.

Terry,

very nice pic. I wish I was brave enough to even think about doing that. I guess training and practice make it no big deal. My little Rebel isn't powerful enough to let me do anything stupid, the Shadow Aero is too heavy and tank like to even think about it. But my new Guzzi Breva......I may have to buy some leathers and head to Rosamond. Tooling along one of the back roads to Spokane last weekend, thought i was doing about 70, looked down at the speedo, I was over 90. Holy smokes!! I wasn't scared until I saw that. Guess I'm just a baby.

gkainz said:
then a Kawasaki 350 triple 2-stroke (what a quick bike that was!),.

I had a friend a long time ago that owned a Suzuki 500 3 cylinder 2 stroke. The guy was nutso! He would go find cops and get into races with them. He never got caught until one night when he was being pursued and had someone back out their driveway in front of him. He went down and ended up skidding through an intersection mostly on his backside. After a couple of days in the hospital (laying on his stomach) he then had to spend a couple of days in jail.

gkainz said:
I started off with a Kawasaki 100 street/trail, then a Kawasaki 350 triple 2-stroke (what a quick bike that was!), a Yamaha 650 twin and finished my riding just before getting married on a Yamaha XS1100

Jeez, let me think...starting at the beginning, in order:

Yamaha RD350
Honda Nighthawk 700SC
Yamaha SR500
Suzuki DR350
Honda CBR600F2
Honda VFR750F
Honda VTR1000F
Honda CBR1100XX
Honda GL1500A
Honda CBR600F4
Suzuki SV650
BMW R1150RT
Triumph Speed Triple 955i

Still riding the RT. Wish I hadn't sold the SV650. Will likely try a Ducati as my next mountains bike.

Hmmm

Yamaha 400 II
Honda CB500 (I think - shaft drive and water cooled)
Yamaha Virago 750

Currently bikeless, but...

Next bike will be a BMW R series or a Gold Wing. (so I can carry my flight or work gear)

Bill Jennings said:
...detailed list of makes and models ... snipped.
I'm impressed... I don't have snowball's chance of remembering the model numbers of anything past the last bike, and that was over 20 years ago. Maybe that's the difference between someone who owned bikes and a certified motorcycle nut? :D

gkainz said:
Maybe that's the difference between someone who owned bikes and a certified motorcycle nut? :D

Crazed, yes. Back when I was single (no wife, no kid, no house payment), I traded bikes whenever the next best greatest thing came out. Oooo, gotta have that! It was quite fun...

Frank Browne said:
I LOVE the hair! You look like Jackson Browne. :)

Here's my first motorcycle. I bought it when I was 15. Traded it in on a Honda SuperSport when I was 16 (don't have a picture of that one, but it was a lot meaner than the Honda 50). :D

Took a guy out on our first date on my SuperSport when I was 16. He was a foreign exchange student and couldn't drive, so I "drove". I did a dumb thing and popped a wheelie on a wet street and flipped the bike. OOPS. :redface: First he slid off the back and hit the pavement, then I slid off and landed on top of him. All the while the bike was doing a hammerhead. At least it didn't land right on top of us.

Well, then I had to take him home to my house and clean him up and put Band Aids all over him. Poor guy. Funny thing was, he asked me out again. :dunno:

Attachments

• First motorcycle.JPG
    First motorcycle.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 40
Diana said:
First he slid off the back and hit the pavement, then I slid off and landed on top of him.

Chivalry! :yes:

Diana said:
All the while the bike was doing a hammerhead.

So, aerobatics isn't a new thing to you after all. :D The recovery and landings have just improved a bit.

My fun zoomie machine:
1982 Honda CB650

Attachments

• J1234Y-PPK-l.JPG
    J1234Y-PPK-l.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 20
  • CB650-2.JPG
    CB650-2.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Current bikes:

2) 2005 Honda Rebel 250's
2005 Honda Shadow Aero (750)
2005 Triumph Bonneville America (800)
2003 Moto Guzzi California EV (1100)
2005 Moto Guzzi Breva (750)
2005 Moto Guzzi Nevada Classic (750)

Can you tell we're brand new at this biker stuff??

Back