More winter fun

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
My son just called home while trying to get to work ... essentially every road he could take between home and work is closed due to blowing and drifting snow ...

here's a snippet from the current weather alert on 9news.com

"A HIGH WIND WARNING is in effect until 5pm Monday. Partly cloudy skies will prevail overnight with winds 20-40 mph in the city, gusts up to 100 mph in the mountains and foothills!"

Man yall need to spread that snow around! :p

Come and get it ... take all you want! I'll even help load it!

Maybe I'll post some "snowman kits - some assembly required" for sale on EBay ...

Come and get it ... take all you want! I'll even help load it!

A friend of mine owns a big dumper truck and would be happy to help get this stuff out of here... IF we can keep his dumper truck dug out long enough to do anything. 15 ton dumper on the back 3 of us have to keep digging it out.

Tonight, blowing snow and high winds...again. Last night nearly blew us away.

And there's some nasty rumor about a 3 day storm on the way starting thursday. I'm thinking we'll hit 10ft total in the near future...

P.S. Fun night tonight:
KBJC 080453Z 28036KT 20SM SCT150 BKN200 02/M08 A3001 RMK LAST

KBJC 080259Z 080324 28028G50KT P6SM SCT150 BKN200
FM0800 29030G55KT P6SM FEW140 SCT200
FM1700 28024G48KT P6SM FEW100 SCT200 NOT SKED AFT 05Z

I was out securing everything for the night and got hit with a 45-50kt gust. Great fun. Flying snow shovels and stinging snow in the face. We're all rocking tonight.

Last edited:
Did you have to put severe weather tiedowns on your motorhome? Rocky Flats recorded 93mph gusts last night as of 10:30pm. Bet they got more after that! Hang on to your hats and put some rocks in your pockets for ballast!

I can see I need to get back their ASAP to get the weather back into line. Never snowed in the Front Range like that when I was there.

In the 17 years I've been here, I've seen a handful of snows like we've gotten...but only one storm at a time - haven't seen the 3 (predicting a 4th next week) back to back like this before.

So, when are you coming back, Anthony?

And we do not have snow here in Tampere. Usually we get snow at the end of
november, but this is not a normal year, the lake is open and I can not go icefishing.
Next yaer maybe.
This has not happened in mu lifetime, 70 years in next march.
Pertti

Did you have to put severe weather tiedowns on your motorhome?

I was seriously thinking about it since I'm nearly broadside to the wind. (There are 2 RV's upwind of me to take some of the energy out of the wind) I have a windchime on the wall INSIDE near my door that was chiming constantly. (Note to self: Put jack stands under this thing asap) The motorcycle is on the downwind side of the RV. The cover was getting beaten to the point I had to tie a couple cords around it to keep it from being ripped to pieces. Total damages: One snap on position light cover blew off the top front center and landed in the snow about 10ft away. I'll silicone that back on when the wind slacks off so I don't get blown off the roof.

Rocky Flats recorded 93mph gusts last night as of 10:30pm. Bet they got more after that!

I'd believe that. Last night was 30G50 until about 00:30 then it slacked off. At 05:30 this morning it started again. 0630 or so BJC was reporting 45G55. I was outside a couple times last night and this morning when it it jumped to G65+ which wasn't much fun.

Hang on to your hats and put some rocks in your pockets for ballast!

No kidding. My hat is in Kansas along with anything else that wasn't tied down here. It tried to blow my snow shovel away then half an hour later I looked out and something black that was about the size of a cat tumbled past.

RV mythbuster fact #43: RV's and big campers can take a big wind hit broadside when stationary without blowing over or being damaged. Nothing big moved here last night including some very exposed high profile 5th wheels...though the occupants might have been thinking otherwise at the time.

Attachments

• hpc_sfc_analysis.gif
    hpc_sfc_analysis.gif
    27.9 KB · Views: 6
And we do not have snow here in Tampere. Usually we get snow at the end of
november, but this is not a normal year, the lake is open and I can not go icefishing.
Next yaer maybe.
This has not happened in mu lifetime, 70 years in next march.
Pertti

Welcome! Sorry to hear you can't ice fish, but just looking at the map there should not be a problem in finding enough open water to fish from a boat? Or, when one can not fish, go flying! :D

Back