More Ratings...

TRocket

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Uncle Jesse
Ok, Private Pilot and Instrument rating....check. Here is where I am at. I have a good career and I also enjoy flying. I can't stay in my current career forever or it will likely kill me, thought the money isn't too bad right now. Part of me would like the option to have a second career in flying sometime down the road, though not really interested in the airlines. I want to get advanced ratings either way, whether I stay where I am or look into something aviation related down the road. If I stay in my current profession, I still want to get pretty much everything but ATP. My question is, what is the best way/ most cost efficient method to end up with a commercial/multi within lets say the next year? Obviously that includes complex and high performance as well as the mutli with commerical with instrument (I assume that isn't much more than just learning to fly an approach with a dead engine). From what I gather, some of this can be combined. Any insight? I am just "kicking the tires" so to speak but would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Ok, Private Pilot and Instrument rating....check. Here is where I am at. I have a good career and I also enjoy flying. I can't stay in my current career forever or it will likely kill me, thought the money isn't too bad right now. Part of me would like the option to have a second career in flying sometime down the road, though not really interested in the airlines. I want to get advanced ratings either way, whether I stay where I am or look into something aviation related down the road. If I stay in my current profession, I still want to get pretty much everything but ATP. My question is, what is the best way/ most cost efficient method to end up with a commercial/multi within lets say the next year? Obviously that includes complex and high performance as well as the mutli with commerical with instrument (I assume that isn't much more than just learning to fly an approach with a dead engine). From what I gather, some of this can be combined. Any insight? I am just "kicking the tires" so to speak but would appreciate any words of wisdom.
Cheapest would most likely be to do the commercial in a multi, that will you get the complex, multi, and instrument all done in in ride. Then just do the single engine add on.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

You can do the initial Commercial in a single or multi, then the other is just an add-on to the commercial cert you already have. For the multi, if you don't want it to say "Multi VFR Only" on your cert, you have to demonstrate an approach and landing single engine as well as maneuvering under instrument conditions with an engine inop. Most people just do the approach on their multi ride. If you do the initial commercial in a complex multi, you won't have to use a single engine complex for part of your checkride. Only problem I could see in doing your initial commercial in a multi, is you will need ten hours in a complex airplane before the checkride. So even if your instructor thinks you are ready at 8 hours multi, you will still have to fly another 2 hours in the multi.

Also watch out for PIC requirements if you're planning to rent a multi. Insurance requirements vs FAA.

I'm not worried about it for me, but one guy here locally wanted the extra PIC time at any cost, so he did a non-Instrument multi-Private add on first, so the rest of his training in the multi is PIC because he's rated.

He also didn't have a Commerical to start with, so he's now doing Commerical/Instrument in the multi and logging the training as PIC time this way.

He also has no interest in backtracking into the single Commerical at all.

Just something to consider. Find out how much PIC multi time you'll need to rent one if you're really going to fly them after the rating.

All sorts of interesting little twists.

Thanks for the insight guys, I really appreciate it. I plan to take the next couple of months off from training and just do some flying and build up some experience/hours. Then after the first of the year I would like to get back into some more training and see where it goes.

Back