More noise about mandatory apnea studies

That link is on exporting aircraft. Do you have something relevent. Nothing apparently new on the subject at AOPA since April 1.

Sorry fatties you are a higher risk to yourself and everyone else. Meh about more rules but I'd rather give slack to the guy with a DUI or two and give more scrutiny to overweights. Everything bad correlates with being fat.

BMI 21.5 here. No OSA either AFAIK (obesity is a risk factor, but it occurs in other populations too). I don't have a dog in this particular fight, I just don't like to see more governmental overreaching. In particular, I'm wary about government scrutiny of populations based on risk factors for as-yet undiagnosed conditions. That's a slippery slope that could lead to a lot more probing into our medical histories than already happens.

I just don't like to see more governmental overreaching. In particular, I'm wary about government scrutiny of populations based on risk factors for as-yet undiagnosed conditions. That's a slippery slope that could lead to a lot more probing into our medical histories than already happens.

And that is what I see; more government over-reach. It's all about control of the masses folks. Chip away a bit here and there and eventually tey control your life from cradle to grave.

And that is what I see; more government over-reach. It's all about control of the masses folks. Chip away a bit here and there and eventually tey control your life from cradle to grave.

Given that it affects everyone's medical costs and insurance costs...... :stirpot:

Sorry fatties you are a higher risk to yourself and everyone else. Meh about more rules but I'd rather give slack to the guy with a DUI or two and give more scrutiny to overweights. Everything bad correlates with being fat.

Actually, no, but thanks for do showing why we hate you skinny little pricks so much.

Actually, no, but thanks for do showing why we hate you skinny little pricks so much.
Sorry but there is no such fairy as healthy fat. Go read up on any random dreaded disease and excess weight will almost always be an increased risk factor. The good doc once said all his SI cases were overweight, all of them. Live how you want, doesn't bother us beautiful people, doesn't lower your risk factors either.

The problem is that a strict BMI or a string neck circumference is NOT directly supported by the research despite what the one-line summary that shows up in the press. As someone who has a BMI of under 25 but is also in excess of 6'1" I doubt my 17" neck directly relates to a sleep apnea risk for me as it would for someone only 5' 7".

Oops. Posted wrong link.

http://www.wtop.com/267/3624656/Train-derailment-fuels-sleep-apnea-screening-talks

Yes, it's about "safety sensitive positions" in trains, but if it happens for them there will surely be pressure to do it in aviation. 17" neck measurement....

The CTA train operator (female) on the 2AM run that fell asleep and ran the train into the escalator at O'Hare, and the automatic braking system didn't work.

attachment.php

Ya know. The usual. Mandate the fix that wouldn't have fixed the problem that the fix is for.

Attachments

• train.jpg
    train.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 130
  • aptopix-chicago-train_ster.jpg
    aptopix-chicago-train_ster.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 372
Greg, your use of the non-word "meh" indicates you are on the younger and healthier side of 40, which is a good thing for the long term viability of recreational GA. However, there is a natural tendency to gain weight as one ages due to reduced metabolism and mobility etc. which can't entirely be controlled by willpower. You may not believe it but that's OK, son.

Your arrogance and preference for sweeping generalizations undermine your credibility, at least among grownups, so you might want to tone it down a bit.

People with sleep apnea, they fall asleep at stoplights, they fall asleep at meetings during the day," Belenky said. "They'll deny any sleepiness and nod off right in front of you."

That may be true for extreme cases, but OSA isn't binary, it's analog. You can have a little bit or a lot of OSA.

That may be true for extreme cases, but OSA isn't binary, it's analog. You can have a little bit or a lot of OSA.

Sort of - you either have an OSA diagnosis or not. If you have > some number of apneas per hour then you have OSA. You can have mild or severe, though.

Settling a threshold for classification is an example of artificially converting an analog phenomenon into a binary representation. It doesn't make the binary representation reality.

Greg, your use of the non-word "meh" indicates you are on the younger and healthier side of 40, which is a good thing for the long term viability of recreational GA. However, there is a natural tendency to gain weight as one ages due to reduced metabolism and mobility etc. which can't entirely be controlled by willpower. You may not believe it but that's OK, son.

Your arrogance and preference for sweeping generalizations undermine your credibility, at least among grownups, so you might want to tone it down a bit.
44 years old 158 lbs this morning, 5' 10". Old doesn't have to mean fat. The fate you accept is the fate you get.

Settling a threshold for classification is an example of artificially converting an analog phenomenon into a binary representation. It doesn't make the binary representation reality.

There are criteria that do measure against limits. But to FAA there is only OSA or not OSA.

I was able to find the OSA diagnosis criteria:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699173/

>>
The diagnosis of OSA is confirmed if the number of obstructive events (apneas, hypopneas + respiratory event related arousals) on PSG is greater than 15 events/hr or greater than 5/hour in a patient who reports any of the following: unintentional sleep episodes during wakefulness; daytime sleepiness; unrefreshing sleep; fatigue; insomnia; waking up breath holding, gasping, or choking; or the bed partner describing loud snoring, breathing interruptions, or both during the patient's sleep.1 OSA severity is defined as mild for RDI ≥ 5 and < 15, moderate for RDI ≥ 15 and ≤ 30, and severe for RDI > 30/hr (Consensus).
<<

It bothers me when people hide behind unreg to slam like this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back