more humor from NOAA

Richard said:
A young FO walks into a bar....none of you have heard that joke?
Um, NOPE - I don't know it! If you want to pm me with it (so as to not disrupt what's gone before, so to speak) I'd appreciate it. I'm always glad to get a good joke. Even happier to get a bad one! :D

Carol said:
Henning's the name. Just back from Oz. Can't bear to see a lady pilot get herself messed up over frivilous stuff. Pull yourself together or you will lose your medical, mate.

She looked at the stranger and knew he was right. To hell with the guitar, the weather, the boyfriend, with everything. I am what I am. I'm going flying.

"Not in the left seat you're not. Eight hours have to pass, you knew that. Now settle down, get something decent in your stomach, and tomorrow we'll go flying. And somebody get that damn cat out of here."

She knew he was right. She bundled her stuff and made her way home. She knew somehow that tomorrow would be different. That nice pilot would meet her at the airport and she'd go flying.

She arrived at the airport 20 minutes early. It was a beautiful morning. The light breeze pulled her hair back like a yellow windsock. Her guitar case looked like a penquin lying on the tarmac. She bent down to pick it up, exposing a narrow band of skin above her waistband. The faded tatoo (which read "Matt") looked harsh in the morning sun. She heard an airplane engine taxiing toward her. She turned around. Her jaw dropped.

Richard said:
Frank! (said in my best Forrest Gump, "LT Dan!" voice)

I had no idea you were so creative. You excel in creative writing!

For a guy who is presumably a left-brain-logical-computer-stuff-writer, he comes off with some pretty funny stuff, along with Tom. Different types of humor, but both hilarious. Maybe the strength in logic gives these guys the ability to know how to twist it and make it funny.

Before she realized what she was doing, she was lost gazing intently into his eyes; blue eyes, clear potrals into his sole.

It's not nice to stare he said flippantly.

I love to looking into your eyes she responded.

Love isn't looking into each other eyes; it's each of us looking in the same direction, he murmered.

etsisk said:
Um, NOPE - I don't know it! If you want to pm me with it (so as to not disrupt what's gone before, so to speak) I'd appreciate it. I'm always glad to get a good joke. Even happier to get a bad one! :D

Me neither, so PM me too or post it here!

Missa
-BTW, since Friday I've just been reading this thread and the one about PTK, thanks for the smiles... I've needed them. :)

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
Before she realized what she was doing, she was lost gazing intently into his eyes; blue eyes, clear potrals into his sole.

It's not nice to stare he said flippantly.

I love to looking into your eyes she responded.

Love isn't looking into each other eyes; it's each of us looking in the same direction, he murmered.

When I saw you here with your fresh METARS I knew I just somehow had to have you come with me to my WX website and grace it with the weather poetry I somehow sense is behind your eyes. I understand our mutual vector now and it's okay for you to stare into my eyes again if you want. Do you like my blue contacts? By the way, T's the name...

Dave Siciliano said:
Well, I guess I killed the thread!! Me and my big fat fingers. :dunno:
No you didn't. What with the various story lines emerging and the unconnected side comments this thread has become so disorganized I thought she was still at the bar when in fact appears she's at the aprt. Did she ever get her drink?

I'd like to continue this...

Richard said:

Yeah, me too!

In fact, I think I am going to send this entire thread to the guy at NWAC that writes the 'poems' just to show him what he started. I think he would get a kick out of this. perhaps I or cousin Fleck can get him to ahhhh....incoperate some of this into his next post......... hehehe wouldnt that be funny!

Cousin 'Fleck' (last name is Fleckenstein) is my future cousin in law and is the radio geek for the comm center I work for. He's known Mark since rocks were soft.

Last edited:
DeeG said:
...since rocks were soft.
Since the Earth cooled. Since arabs started driving Mercedes. Since....

BTW: what are you doing up this time of night? Hoo hoo.

Richard said:
No you didn't. What with the various story lines emerging and the unconnected side comments this thread has become so disorganized I thought she was still at the bar when in fact appears she's at the aprt. Did she ever get her drink?

You!?! I was about to go do the mile high thing, and I think I learned how to do a propellor trick with my wang and make it sound like a plane taxiing.:D Maybe I had a Beech 18 with a waterbed and shag carpet like a 70s van.

Richard said:
BTW: what are you doing up this time of night? Hoo hoo.

I hadn't even realized it was that late! Its my day off today, I think I'm gonna learn how to use my snowboard.

WARNING: THREAD DRIFT...from the original thread drift that started our fun story. This isn't even very original since it's a variation of something else but Richards comment reminded me of something from way back when so whatever...I thought it was amusing anyway.

Richard said:
Since the Earth cooled. Since arabs started driving Mercedes. Since....

...In the Beginning there was darkness...Or was there light? ... No, it was dark. Anyway there was this big flash then after the rocks cooled, eventually man came upon the scene. After a while, 06:45 PST Jan 26 2006 to be exact, there was this poetic weather forecast done by a girl who's boyfriend thought she was a fruitcake for writing such stuff so she ended up in a bar with a liquid lunch. About this time a mysterious stranger with a shotgun and a bucket walks in off the stree...you know, I'm almost certain it was dark in the Beginning.

You know, I never could get the hang of Wednesdays... :dunno: (I'll go back to my own little world now)
Normal The Penguin.

P.S. 1 positive reputation point for the first person to correctly identify the reference (without looking it up) where I got that from... :yes:
P.S.S. It just had to have been dark in the beginning.

Now everyone get back to sorting out the story for the next scene...

Last edited:
DeeG said:
Yeah, me too!

In fact, I think I am going to send this entire thread to the guy at NWAC that writes the 'poems' just to show him what he started. I think he would get a kick out of this. perhaps I or cousin Fleck can get him to ahhhh....incoperate some of this into his next post......... hehehe wouldnt that be funny!

Cousin 'Fleck' (last name is Fleckenstein) is my future cousin in law and is the radio geek for the comm center I work for. (For those of you that have lived in MN since ancient times, his grandpa owned Flecks Beer) He's known Mike ( the weather poet) since rocks were soft.

And here I thought Toby "seeded" the discussion to collect the resulting story ;) :D

fgcason said:
WARNING: THREAD DRIFT...from the original thread drift that started our fun story. This isn't even very original since it's a variation of something else but Richards comment reminded me of something from way back when so whatever...I thought it was amusing anyway.

...In the Beginning there was darkness...Or was there light? ... No, it was dark. Anyway there was this big flash then after the rocks cooled, eventually man came upon the scene. After a while, 06:45 PST Jan 26 2006 to be exact, there was this poetic weather forecast done by a girl who's boyfriend thought she was a fruitcake for writing such stuff so she ended up in a bar with a liquid lunch. About this time a mysterious stranger with a shotgun and a bucket walks in off the stree...you know, I'm almost certain it was dark in the Beginning.

You know, I never could get the hang of Wednesdays... :dunno: (I'll go back to my own little world now)
Normal The Penguin.

P.S. 1 positive reputation point for the first person to correctly identify the reference (without looking it up) where I got that from... :yes:

Now everyone get back to sorting out the story for the next scene...

Well, I'm pretty sure the Wednesday part came from Douglas Adams. But I could be wrong.

And now, I shall recite some Vogon poetry. No, wait. In the beginning, the earth was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. (apologies to Douglas Adams)

I'm also voting Douglas Adams. Or, is there another funny nut out there?

fgcason said:
Or maybe Terry Pratchett?

--Kath

Douglas Adams is Thursday but close enough, but the dark comment is for the marbles.

kath said:
Or maybe Terry Pratchett?

Nope. The darkness comment is very very obscure bordering on being unfair. XYZZY is less obscure. Hint: It involves a computer and knowing the significance of 125,100.

OK, here is a short bio and pic of the original 'weather poet'

Dee

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mark Moore
Director / Avalanche Meteorologist

Mark is currently director, mountain meteorologist and avalanche forecaster with the NWAC, and has been forecasting weather and avalanches since helping create the Center with colleagues Rich Marriott (now a television meteorologist in Seattle), Bud Reanier (a National Weather Service forecaster), and Dr. Ed LaChapelle in 1976. Mark also manages the development, installation and maintenance of a comprehensive network of remote mountain weather stations to support the Center's weather and avalanche forecasting operation. His lifelong interest in snow and avalanches began as a professional ski patroller in California's Sierra Nevada in the early 1970's, where he migrated after a B.S. in aerospace engineering from UC San Diego and a short but interesting stint as a nuclear engineer. Finding the field exciting, but discovering many unanswered questions about snowpack and avalanches and the weather that produced them, Mark returned to school where he received a Master's Degree in Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Washington. During the past almost 30 years in the avalanche field, Mark has authored, co-authored and presented a variety of papers and scientific reports on weather, snowpack, avalanches, instrumentation and related topics. He has been an instructor for weather and avalanche schools from Alaska to Colorado, and is a consultant for snow, fire-weather, instrumentation and avalanche interests during the "off-season".

Attachments

• Mark_Moore.jpg
    Mark_Moore.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 6
What a train, err, I mean plane wreck. :)

DeeG said:
OK, here is a short bio and pic of the original 'weather poet'

Dee

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mark Moore
Director / Avalanche Meteorologist

/major snippage/

...and is a consultant for snow, fire-weather, instrumentation and avalanche interests during the "off-season".
I, for one, would love to hear about fire-wx. I wonder if he mentions Dresdan in his talks.

Back