More great soaring conditions..

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Yesterday the club rallied to avoid a Sunday washout... a high layer moving in, with rain, but we had a great day of calmish winds and big lift.

I just about made an hour on my first, got to 4900 off a 2500-foot tow- considering the rust I did OK, I think- keeping a steady bank, flying at the right speed, more by feel than by the ASI and (non-audible)vario.
Could have stayed up much longer, but I wanted to work on things other than thermaling, in preparation for the checkride. Left one thermal a bit earlier than a I should have in order to venture west a bit... should have gotten more altitude while I could, but it worked out well- made it farther west than I ever have before on my own, and found some decent lift over there to regain some altitude before heading back. Also working on trying to enter and fly a good pattern without referencing the altimeter (much). The thing's been sticking lately (have to tap it occasionally), which helped. :D

Also, I think it's good practice coming down when you want to, as opposed to when you have to- it was tricky, with lots of good lift near the field.

Had to wait a while for my next turn, but made a good "pattern hop"... pretty satisfied with my progress, but I need to polish up my landing accuracy in the new landing area (we recently had to shift to the west half of the grass, as they have installed a PAPI array and a bunch of signs right in the middle of the old landing area).

Sounds like a great day... we're thermal soaring already this weekend. Another storm due through mid-week and then Summer will arrive.

You should be able to do an accuracy landing to any runway, even one you have never seen. It just takes practice. Our local DPE keeps changing it up by stating which runway stripe to land on or the number.

Also the PTS says that he can ask to demonstrate an "off field" landing. We have "alternate" landing areas on our airfield and he has known to ask for those with a accuracy landing as a kicker... land in the infield, the cross taxiway (across the infield) is your touch down point", landing short of the taxiway in this case would be a bust.

Keep at it... it only gets better... summer cross country time.

You should be able to do an accuracy landing to any runway, even one you have never seen. It just takes practice. Our local DPE keeps changing it up by stating which runway stripe to land on or the number.
You're right... I have to polish up my landing accuracy in general. :D
I think I'm about ready, though, to meet the PTS as far as that goes.

You're right... I have to polish up my landing accuracy in general. :D
I think I'm about ready, though, to meet the PTS as far as that goes.

You'll find your landings in power get much better...

Back