More BS surrounding the medical

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
My medical expires on Oct. 31

Since my understanding is that all I need to do is schedule a SODA ride, pass it, and take such certification to the AME in order to walk out with a new medical (assuming no other problems) I reapplied for my SODA request in late August (yes, I should have done it sooner, but, I hadn't flown much all summer yada yada).

Well, they waited until the end of September to send me a letter in essence saying "no dice" on the SODA, they were going to require me yet again to go through all the BS I've done in the past (go to the eye doctor, get a letter, submit it to the Regional Flight Surgeon's office, etc). I called to ask them why the problem, I'm almost to my checkride.

After being transferred around, I finally hung up. Apparently the first guy I spoke to took pity on me though, since when I got back from vacation they had sent me ANOTHER letter: "ignore the first letter, here is your permission to take the ride".

Setting aside for the moment that I coulda/shoulda done this a lot sooner - is that letter worthless unless I do the SODA ride before Oct 31? I would think it would be. And if it is, well, I simply don't have time before Oct 31 to do the SODA ride.

I wish it were that easy. I've got too many deadlines before then, and a short week that week since I'm going to Chicago for a conference, leaving on Oct 31.

email Dr.B and see what he has to say. I barely understand what happens in the Department of Mysteries err Aeromedical branch of the FAA and would not want to guess as to what you should do. Maybe even if you are still coming to Chicago you can make a side trip to Peoria and see him. If that is the case and I am in town I can help you with that.

My medical expires on Oct. 31

Since my understanding is that all I need to do is schedule a SODA ride, pass it, and take such certification to the AME in order to walk out with a new medical (assuming no other problems) I reapplied for my SODA request in late August (yes, I should have done it sooner, but, I hadn't flown much all summer yada yada).

Well, they waited until the end of September to send me a letter in essence saying "no dice" on the SODA, they were going to require me yet again to go through all the BS I've done in the past (go to the eye doctor, get a letter, submit it to the Regional Flight Surgeon's office, etc). I called to ask them why the problem, I'm almost to my checkride.

After being transferred around, I finally hung up. Apparently the first guy I spoke to took pity on me though, since when I got back from vacation they had sent me ANOTHER letter: "ignore the first letter, here is your permission to take the ride".

Setting aside for the moment that I coulda/shoulda done this a lot sooner - is that letter worthless unless I do the SODA ride before Oct 31? I would think it would be. And if it is, well, I simply don't have time before Oct 31 to do the SODA ride.
Scan it and email me or fax it.... emal me and I'll send you back a hard fax #.

No this isn't a medical branch thing, Mike. It's a operations branch thing. Different chief.

Thanks Dr. B and everyone. I'll scan and send it over. I do have the permission to take the ride now - I'm just up against a deadline.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back