More about ShopTrac

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
This, as I mentioned in another thread, is a DOS program for car mechanics. It originally was written in 1992, the developer is dead, and he didn't support it for the last six years of his life.

I have quite a few clients who use this software, and I've never had an issue with it. But recently, a client replaced an old computer, and the new run (running XP Professional SP-3 D/G from Vista) won't run it.

On all the other machines, all that's done to run the program is to map the program's folder on the "server" (actually, just another XP Pro machine), and create a shortcut to the BAT file. But on this new machine, no joy. It returns an error that the computer hasn't been configured as a network node.

However, when I copied the files over to one of my own computers (also running XP SP-3), it worked just fine, with no configuration at all.

I think the problem may have to do with the parallel port dongle, which contains the serial number (and maybe some other information). The new machine didn't have a parallel port, so I installed a SIIG PCI parallel port. It's recognized by Windows as LPT-1, 2, or 3 (selectable), but uses a non-standard hardware address.

But what's mystifying is that when I start the program without the dongle on my own machine, it gives an error that the security block is missing. But when I start it on the new machine without the dongle (or with it, for that matter), it calls the network node error. It neither recognizes the dongle nor that it's missing.

Also, if I disable the parport on my own machine and start the program, it returns the missing security block error. So I would think that if the program is not recognizing the parport on the new machine at all, then it would return the missing security block error. But it returns the network node error, instead.

I also tried to run it in DosBox Megabuild with the LPT mapped to the hardware address of the PCI parallel port. No joy.

Any ideas, anyone?

Richard

I live in Brooklyn, NY and I have a friend that has ShopTrac software on their Garage Computer, well after Hurricane Sandy came thru, it stopped working. He does not have the original discs to reinstall the program on another computer. We have the dongle, but just need the original discs to load the program as his hard drive died with the storm electrical surge. Any chance you may be of assistance? You seem to be the only one on the internet that has any knowledge of this software. Thank you so much

Richard

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's problems. Sandy did a job on a lot of folks, that's for sure.

I know I don't have the disks. I may or may not be able to get them from my one of my old clients, but I'm not sure how the disks are versioned against the dongles.

You really don't need the disks if you have any kind of backup at all with the old directory. Everything is contained in C:\SHOPTRAC, and all of his unique records should be contained in C:\SHOPTRAC\DATA . If he decides to have data recovery done on the drive, have them recover that directory.

I'll look around to see if I have any old backups that maybe can be used to re-create the system for your friend, but I'm out of that business now and am pretty sure I don't have them any more. I'll also call a couple of old clients on Monday to see if they still have the floppies. It's a long shot, but who knows...

-Rich

Back