Mooney Ovation/Bravo

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
All,

I'm a 200 hr private pilot that is just about done with my Instrument rating, have been thinking about buying a mooney ovation, or bravo. I'm looking at one with TKS FIKI. What kind of gotchas are there for MX/operating costs.

Doing anything under the cowl takes time, its very tightly packed, proper rigging of the gear requires a special tool, tow turn limits are tight and things do bend (an in unexpected places) if exceed.

About all I remember from ours.

Really not a lot. You're looking at a big bore 6-cylinder, so figure ~$30,000 for an overhaul. Just keep the heads cool and it'll be reliable enough.

You would be well-advised to get some instruction on use of the de-ice equipment, and determining what is and is not acceptable uses for it.

I definitely plan to spend a LOT of time with my CFII in it if it comes to fruition.

But how much experience does your CFII have with icing? You don't want to fly with just a CFII, but preferably with someone who actually deals with ice. Someone who "knows."

A lot of CFIIs don't understand ice. So be careful in who you have teach you about the system.

Good point. The only experience my CFII has with icing is with me, and we picked up a trace of rime when we punched thru the top of a cloud above the freezing level

Too bad you're so distant, I know an experienced CFII who operated a Bravo w/FIKI part 135.

Back