Mooney M20J For Sale in Indiana

Great group of people who've maintained your aircraft the last 16 years! I'm sure the thing is immaculate mechanically. Word of advice, the interior is below a 7 (worn leather seats) so its best to list as-is and not as was, more serious buyers will come as a result. Best of luck to you, sorry to hear about your loss.

Last edited:
Owners automatically assume that the condition of their P & I can't be "about average for the age and use of the plane" that would put it at ~5 at best (where yours and most others probably would be rated by a professional appraiser), so they assume the number must be higher than that. As a result, most of the owner-supplied ratings are 2-3 points high. It's nothing new and probably won't ever change.

One of the problems is that sellers don't bother to research the rating system to gain an understanding of how the values should be assigned, so it becomes just one more chapter in the caveat emptor book.

That's my mistress you are talking about. Purely subjective! Anyway, I wouldn't criticize anyone's mistress/wife/girlfriend that she is a 6 and not a 10. :nono:

I'd argue that your impression results from your lack of knowledge regarding the rating system. The methods vary slightly, are not fool-proof, but are very specific and objective and have been tested thousands of times and found to be very reliable and consistent when applied in the field.

For example, the top four ratings for interiors are:

10. Aircraft is new.

9. Interior is new. No scratches, cracks or crazing or other evidence of use.

8. Interior is in near-new condition. Any smell, dirt or matting can be removed by simple cleaning. Some evidence of use can be found only on close inspection.

7. A small amount of wear is apparent. Small, shallow scratches and/or stains (one or two per seat) can be found on on seats carpet or woodwork. Stain remover and shampoo removes almost all stains. Headliner is clean with no stains. No nicks in woodwork.

Using Blue-book guide, your interior is probably a 4.

My advice to sellers is to clean, polish, wash, wax, scrub, spiff, detail, touch-up, recondition, trim, snip, armorall and do everything possible to increase curb appeal before any potential buyer ever sees it. If you can re-condiition the leather seats, by all means do it. Buyers like to think they can see past the cosmetic defects or downgrades when evaluating a plane, but in fact most (of not all) buyers are heavily influenced by a good-looking ship.

Thanks for your input. I agree. I don't know a thing about how the rating works, I relied on the FBO/broker. Regardless, I think, bottom line, the rating system is very subjective.

Last edited:
Most banks have them. The ratings guides are usually the front page or the back page (can't remember which) and include information for both paint and interior.

Do you know where I can get this "blue book"?

I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely get her cleaned and polished up, maybe she'll look better in the pictures.

Here is the system the National Aircraft Appraisers Association uses:

INTERIOR
#10 Rating: Interior condition is flawless. All material, fabric, plastic, carpet, headliner, wood cabinetry, etc. are spotless, with no matting, scratches or signs of wear. Seams are straight, tight and in general the interior looks, feels and smells new.

#9 Rating: Interior is almost flawless and it would meet the #10 rating criteria except for minor exceptions. Carpet at the entry area and in the cockpit and perhaps the pilots, and/or the copilots seats may show slight signs of matting.

#8 Rating: Interior is very clean with no tears, loose stitching, stains, fading or excessive wear on fabric, carpets, plastic, wood cabinetry, or headliner.

#7 Rating: Interior is clean with no tears, major stains or fading or excessive wear on fabric, plastic, wood cabinetry, or headliner. Carpet at entry and cockpit areas may show signs of wear but are not ragged. Stitching is tight, although the seams may not be straight. The interior may need to be cleaned but once cleaned would show well.

#6 Rating: Although the interior has stains, which may not clean up, in general the fabric is in good serviceable condition. The carpets would show wear at entry and cockpit areas. There may be matting of materials on seats with wear noticeable on arm rest and lower seat cushions. There may be stains on headliner and/or signs of material fading. However, the fabric is generally bright with no tears although there may be areas which have had upholstery repairs. A good cleaning may be in order and after cleaning, the interior would look satisfactory.

#5 Rating: Entry areas, cockpit and other high use areas show significant signs of wear and/or stains. Seat cushions, headliner and side panels may have stains, loose stitching, fading, and in general have a well used appearance. Any needed repairs are minor in nature, and the interior may need a good cleaning, but after cleaning the interior would still have a well used appearance.

#4 Rating: Generally the interior has the same characteristics of a #5 rating except for definite need of repairs. The fabric areas exposed to sunlight are well faded and beginning to dry rot. The only way to improve the appearance of the interior would be to install a new one. The existing interior is still serviceable.

#3 Rating: The interior has all the conditions of a #4 rating except that the extent of repairs is excessive. The interior as is, is in poor condition and is not serviceable.

#2 Rating: The interior is not serviceable and the extent of repairs to make it serviceable are not cost effective. The interior needs to be replaced.

#1 Rating: Generally all of the characteristics of #2 with the exception of required repairs to interior structures such as seat frames, chair rails, cabinetry etc.

Some Lexol leather conditioner may be able to help those seats. They just look dried out.

The direct flash doesn't really make leather look very flattering either. Try to take pictures with no flash or find someone with an SLR camera, an external flash, and have them bounce the flash off the ceiling.

And clean up the clutter in the interior. A once-over with a Bissel-type steam cleaner wet vac wouldn't hurt either.

Back