Mooney instruction

Rneuwirth

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rneuwirth
Anybody know of any CFI's who give instruction in Mooneys? I've got my PP-SEL, my high performance endorsement and I'm working on my IR. I'd like to get my complex endorsement, and since a 1980s vintage Mooney M20k is on my list of possible planes, I thought if I could find someone who instructs in one anywhere in the country I would go, spend a few days getting the complex endorsement done and get more experience in the platform than a quick ride or "test drive" would afford.

Long way from you but there is a M20 C they instruct in down here M79 @ Flying Tiger Aviation

Thanks for that. I've got a brother-in-law in Pineville, and it would be the perfect excuse to get to visit him. I'll get with the folks at Flying Tiger this week!

RNeu, you won't find an M20K on the instruction flight line anyplace. They are TERRIBLE multi-pilot airplanes. Overboost, run hot unless carefully managed, 3" MP per minute reductions, etc. They ARE sweeties to fly if well maintained and the pilot's right hand is not ham fisted.

I nearly s_at a brick when my student advanced the throttles (my Seneca II) to the firewall for departure, despite my JUST HAVING BRIEFED HIM NOT TO DO THAT. That was the end of the lesson.

Not sure you'll find a M20K - I've given some instruction in a private M20J but don't know where you'd rent one.

Smart move. You'll learn a lot.
Anybody know of any CFI's who give instruction in Mooneys? I've got my PP-SEL, my high performance endorsement and I'm working on my IR. I'd like to get my complex endorsement, and since a 1980s vintage Mooney M20k is on my list of possible planes, I thought if I could find someone who instructs in one anywhere in the country I would go, spend a few days getting the complex endorsement done and get more experience in the platform than a quick ride or "test drive" would afford.

RNeu, you won't find an M20K on the instruction flight line anyplace. They are TERRIBLE multi-pilot airplanes. Overboost, run hot unless carefully managed, 3" MP per minute reductions, etc. They ARE sweeties to fly if well maintained and the pilot's right hand is not ham fisted.

I nearly s_at a brick when my student advanced the throttles (my Seneca II) to the firewall for departure, despite my JUST HAVING BRIEFED HIM NOT TO DO THAT. That was the end of the lesson.
Sure this happens in the 252? 231 I could see, but I heard the 252 is better in this area, but I have no practical experience.

I fly a private M20K (231) but I don't know where you would find one to rent. If you happen to suddenly have access to one and are looking for an instructor with a lot of 231 time, let me know.

Yup, finding one for rent is going to be tough. Heck, I had to buy my 252 before I could find anyone who could teach me to fly the thing. I'd much rather learn to fly a 252 than a 231 for a bunch of reasons and certainly rather own same. Make you a deal...you buy my 252 and I'll toss in the HPSE and as much how to fly a Mooney on instruments as you can stand.

Yup, finding one for rent is going to be tough. Heck, I had to buy my 252 before I could find anyone who could teach me to fly the thing. I'd much rather learn to fly a 252 than a 231 for a bunch of reasons and certainly rather own same. Make you a deal...you buy my 252 and I'll toss in the HPSE and as much how to fly a Mooney on instruments as you can stand.

The instruction could be worth the plane's MGOW. Too bad I'm not in that market.

You might give Scott Belt a call at learn2fly in Kerrville, tx. We used a mooney for my commercial ride. It might still be available to rent. I'd have to look if it's a 252 or 231 I forget.

That's setting the poor guy up for a disappointment. Rather like the difference between SR 20 and SR 22..... A "J" model would be "closer".

Our club has M20J's for $155 an hour. Near Raleigh, NC. Instructor is $25 an hour. If you are just flying a day or two you might be able to get past the $200 initiation fee, and refundable deposits...

Rneuwirth, did you check with anyone at Flying Tiger yet? I'll be down there tomorrow, got to find out where I can go take my instrument exam. There is a nice CFII down there by the name of Ed Collins.They have another one or two so I'm pretty sure they could fix you up.

Writing to MAPA directly may yield results. Finding a plain Mooney from the 1960s is easy (I took my mock check-out with Alliance Flight Training out of FTG). But those turbocharged ones were not as numerous to begin with.

These guys can put you in touch with Mooneys and Mooney Instructors...
They do Mooney Pilot Proficiency Training.

http://www.mooneysafety.com/

Phil

PS If not, email me and I will connect you with a Vintage Mooney Pilot near you.

I recall a flight school in Venice, FL, Florida Flight Training, that had a few Mooney's in which they used for instruction. Just thought I would pass that on.

Members of this board are the best!!!

Taking my IR Knowledge Exam Friday, so I've been a bit busy, but next week I'll be on the phone finding my Mooney teacher.

Lots of good leads, but that Vegas deal with a M20K 305 Rocket conversion sounds like the opportunity to drive a Formula 1 race car.

Thanks to all!

Good Luck on the exam, bet you'll do fine on it. I took mine 30 yrs ago and never finished. I took it again today so now the clock is ticking.

Good Luck on the exam, bet you'll do fine on it. I took mine 30 yrs ago and never finished. I took it again today so now the clock is ticking.

It was a fairly tough written, but I belive it's the one of the few that actually has practical questions that IR pilots need to know.

This is an excellent offer, that should be considered.

Back