Montreal Day Trip?

Maevers413

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MBowman
Hi there - has anyone been to Montreal for a day trip? Which airport is best/ do they offer a crew car/ walkable to downtown Montreal? It will be our first time and thinking this time of year would be beautiful!

Thanks for any recommendations/ logistical help!

Best airport is St.Hubert CYHU but car/taxi is required.
Pierre elliot Trudeau airport CYUL is more convenient but not much and definetly more expensive. Car/ taxi required.

Enjoy Montreal and Old Montreal.

Coming from the US? Fly into Plattsburg and rent a car. Save time, hassle and money. Montreal is only 30 min from the US-Canadian border.

Save time , hassle, money? Really? Why bother flying at all then?

Let's look at this ;
time. No brainer here. Flying is faster , no question.

Hassle; where is the hassle? At CYHU, land , park, clear customs -(easy and friendly)rent car and enjoy.
The "hassle" ironically is returning to the USA. STICKER, EAPIS, LIMITED CUSTOMS - AVAILABILITY.- all US requirements.

Cost; with a 30% exchange rate, it makes a Canadian visit a bargain. This is the only element that is limiting my US pleasure flights, otherwise all of the other factors are what makes pleasure flying a joy and adventure.

The trouble or hassle,is going back to the U.S. Can be a pita.

Coming from the US? Fly into Plattsburg and rent a car. Save time, hassle and money. Montreal is only 30 min from the US-Canadian border.
This.

I went up to Montreal with my wife to visit friends shortly after I got my PPL. Flew into Plattsburg and rented a car at the FBO. Very simple.

The trouble or hassle,is going back to the U.S. Can be a pita.
Yep. My dad made a couple trips within the last 5 years to Canada. Very easy to arrive in Canada. Coming back into the US, you'd of thought he was on some terrorist watch list. Pathetic handling by CBP.

Here is the experience my dad had:

Before the trip, he calls CBP and talks to someone who identified herself as 'Agent Fletcher'. She tells him what he needs to do in order to clear customs at the airport of entry. So, when he lands coming back into the US, there is no one there. So he calls and asks to speak with Agent Fletcher. Lady on the phone says: "We have no one in the office by that name". He explains the situation and then she says, "Well, I am 'Supervisor Fletcher' and this is what you need to do....." and she proceeds to make him jump through a bunch more hoops.

Unreal.

Last edited:
Back