Month old child

Then get one of those special headsets designed for children like the Cadet model from Pilot Avionics.

My concern isn't the cost of good headsets. It is how do you know you got good headsets? In the last 9 years since I began flying I have seen a marked decline in my hearing, as did my brother.

We use medium quality head sets and never go flying without ear protection.

I'm an old fart now so doesn't really matter for me but children could be much more susceptible to damage than adults. I wonder what Flight Surgeon recommends? Or pediatrician.

Last edited:
Completely off topic, but how do you like the 177? I've been doing some planning for a first plane and love the way they look. Not many high wings have a "good" look to them like the 177.

Also great thread! Taking my 2.5 yr/old up soon and getting some great ideas here.

You should spend the $39 to join the Cardinal club, maybe go to their annual fly in, see hundreds of them at once and start to learn all the issues related to them. They are great, almost perfect small family personal planes -IMO.

They are bit more than other planes of similar size but they are special. I think there is an issue with the very first models having slightly too small engine and slightly too small stablator. But an RG model is as close to a decent mid-range family of 4 plane there is. I am a pretty much a low wing guy and a Piper guy so for me to say this about cardinals is really something. Good Luck with this.

BTW if you lock in on a specific model you can then devote all your time looking for just the right deal, just the right plane and wait for it to come. I think that is the smartest way to buy a plane.

Last edited:
Completely off topic, but how do you like the 177? I've been doing some planning for a first plane and love the way they look. Not many high wings have a "good" look to them like the 177.

Also great thread! Taking my 2.5 yr/old up soon and getting some great ideas here.

I think the 177RG is the pick of the litter of the 200hp singles and the minimum certified plane I'd buy at this point.

Love it. If you don't need anything faster or with more capacity, it's great. Two big doors and a cabin wider than a 172. Its a very comfortable plane, and for a Cessna single, it's very nimble and fun to fly.

You should spend the $39 to join the Cardinal club, maybe go to their annual fly in, see hundreds of them at once and start to learn all the issues related to them. They are great, almost perfect small family personal planes -IMO.

They are bit more than other planes of similar size but they are special. I think there is an issue with the very first models having slightly too small engine and slightly too small stablator. But an RG model is as close to a decent mid-range family of 4 plane there is. I am a pretty much a low wing guy and a Piper guy so for me to say this about cardinals is really something. Good Luck with this.

BTW if you lock in on a specific model you can then devote all your time looking for just the right deal, just the right plane and wait for it to come. I think that is the smartest way to buy a plane.

I will look into this, thanks!

EDIT: This? http://www.cardinalflyers.com/home/_home.php

I think the 177RG is the pick of the litter of the 200hp singles and the minimum certified plane I'd buy at this point.

How's the RG on these? I've still got a fear of the Cessna high wing retracts after hearing horror stories on the 182RG's. I've seen some very nice RG's at reasonable prices but have shyed aware at looking more into them because of the retractable gear.

Love it. If you don't need anything faster or with more capacity, it's great. Two big doors and a cabin wider than a 172. Its a very comfortable plane, and for a Cessna single, it's very nimble and fun to fly.

That's all I'm looking for. My ex-wife and I almost pulled the trigger on a low hour Warrior as a time builder and inexpensive flyer last year. But that was before the big 'D', thank god we didn't because I'd be in a real tough spot trying to hang onto a plane through that mess. Now I'm getting my ducks in a row and hope to be in the market again within the next year to 18 months. Primary function will be XC's in the region (Florida) and the occasional Bahamas trip (MHH/BIM) to get to the boat.

Back