Montana license plate??

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I drove to work behind someone with a Montana plate this morning. bright sun, so I couldn't see it as well as you'd think, but it was a "fancy plate" and the design I swear looked like a group of people all standing with their thumbs out. did I miss something, is this the hitchhiker state or something? :)

Montana's new motto: "Hey buddy can I get a ride to ANYWHERE else??"

Greebo said:
Montana's new motto: "Hey buddy can I get a ride to ANYWHERE else??"

Hey...and I thought this was the "civil" board?:) I'm a MT native and returning resident as of 3 years ago, but I am not familiar with any "hitchhiker" designs. Here's info and a picture of the current plates.

Standard Plates

The Title and Registration Bureau issues standard plates to all vehicle owners unless they request other plates.​
The Montana plate pictured to the right was issued beginning in March 2000. The design contains the key characteristics that make Montanans so proud of their state - rugged mountains, vast plains and the rich purple and gold colors

Fer Pete's sake, I finally found another state that has more license plate designs, choices and options than Colorado! http://www.doj.state.mt.us/driving/licenseplates.asp I looked at all 937 choices and didn't see anything resembling hitch hikers! :)
My regards to Montanans, my in-laws are from Bozeman.

Virginia has a TON. once I get my license I'm going to get the Virginia Aviation one.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/alpha.asp?alpha=a

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=AE

Virginia Aviation - See it from the Sky.

the only problem is, most of the cool sayings are taken. CAVU is gone, (although I guess you could get CAVOOO) and a whole bunch of others I had thought up one day (but don't have time to repeat right now) are gone too.

if you were to personalize your plates, (I think limit 6 letters) what would you get?

drhunt said:
Hey...and I thought this was the "civil" board?:) I'm a MT native and returning resident as of 3 years ago, but I am not familiar with any "hitchhiker" designs. Here's info and a picture of the current plates.

Standard Plates

The Title and Registration Bureau issues standard plates to all vehicle owners unless they request other plates.​
The Montana plate pictured to the right was issued beginning in March 2000. The design contains the key characteristics that make Montanans so proud of their state - rugged mountains, vast plains and the rich purple and gold colors

I wonder if they had put something on the plate? the sun was very bright so I had to squint, and I didn't want to ride his bumper or anything. but it was definitely a small group of people. it looked like at least one had an arm outstretched. dunno?

woodstock said:
if you were to personalize your plates, (I think limit 6 letters) what would you get?

It would have to be N2212R :D

EDIT: ARRRRRRGH!!!! The state of michigan will not allow N2212R or 2212R because those formats are reserved.

Last edited:
woodstock said:
...but it was definitely a small group of people. it looked like at least one had an arm outstretched. dunno?
Ah, the "small group of people" plate! Or is that "group of small people" plate? :D

Was is this one?

gkainz said:
Ah, the "small group of people" plate! Or is that "group of small people" plate? :D

Was is this one?

nope, not that one. they were all off to the upper right hand side.

gkainz said:
Maybe this one?

that's it! ok, now I can see what they are doing, kinda.

from where I was it looked like a group of people standing around with their thumbs out. still don't know what they are doing, maybe they are settlers from back in the day?

It's the Lewis and Clark Commerative plate depicting the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It can't be accurate, however, because they're guys and they're asking directions... :rofl:

No, see, they're not asking for directions, they're asking for the names of places from the natives.

But the natives don't bother giving names to places - why bother calling something by name when the thing you call doesn't answer back?

So what you see here is Mr. Lewis or Mr. Clark asking, "What is the name of that {feature of terrain} over there?" and the natives dutifully giving varirous answers in their own tongue which, when translated literally means:
"Your finger you fool"
"Thats a mountain"
"Who is this idiot who doesn't know what a river is?"

and so on.

did they have woman with them? it looks like a settler woman, hair up in a bun, holding a baby?

did you ever see the Far Side cartoon, Lewis and Clark on their walk, Lewis is singing something really silly and Clark is behind him scowling thinking "sometimes I really hate him". hahaha!

woodstock said:
did they have woman with them? it looks like a settler woman, hair up in a bun, holding a baby?

did you ever see the Far Side cartoon, Lewis and Clark on their walk, Lewis is singing something really silly and Clark is behind him scowling thinking "sometimes I really hate him". hahaha!
That would most likely be Sakajawea - http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/biographies/sakajawe.html

They've got to make $$$ somehow. In contrast to the "bland" standard plates, some are pretty cool. We have Glacier Park plates...support the park. Tell your in-laws hi!

woodstock said:
I would either get my N number, or else I've toyed with EDITER.

(and, yes, I KNOW it's misspelled. It's called irony.)

Back