Monocular vision, special issuance/medical flight test process

• Thread starter MonocularVision
  • Start date
M

MonocularVision

I have monocular vision due to a birth defect. I'm almost 30, and learned to drive, etc with one eye. Other eye is fairly nearsighted, but 20/20 corrected.

I went to an AME for a third class medical, everything else is medically OK. Sent it off to OKC for a special issuance. They requested an 8500-7 (eye evaluation) and visual fields, I sent both.

I received my medical and it contains the limitation "Valid for medical flight test only. Not valid for solo flight." From my research, I was expecting the limitation "Valid for student privileges only" which would allow solo, etc, and a combined medical flight test and checkride at the end of training.

Is this standard process for this condition? It seems to imply I need to train to the point of being ready for the medical flight test, do that in the middle of training, then continue to solo, cross country, etc before the final checkride. Is the SODA typically issued after the medical test flight? Anything else I need to be aware of for this process?

I have monocular vision due to a birth defect. I'm almost 30, and learned to drive, etc with one eye. Other eye is fairly nearsighted, but 20/20 corrected.

I went to an AME for a third class medical, everything else is medically OK. Sent it off to OKC for a special issuance. They requested an 8500-7 (eye evaluation) and visual fields, I sent both.

I received my medical and it contains the limitation "Valid for medical flight test only. Not valid for solo flight." From my research, I was expecting the limitation "Valid for student privileges only" which would allow solo, etc, and a combined medical flight test and checkride at the end of training.

Is this standard process for this condition? It seems to imply I need to train to the point of being ready for the medical flight test, do that in the middle of training, then continue to solo, cross country, etc before the final checkride. Is the SODA typically issued after the medical test flight? Anything else I need to be aware of for this process?

My SODA was for amputations but it went like this:

#1 Received letter from Oklahoma City, authorizing medical flight eval, contact a FSDO of your choice to set it up.
#2 Called the local FSDO and set up date and time. I think it was booked two weeks out. Reserved a rental airplane at the same time.
#3 Show up to the FSDO with the authorization letter etc. They look over your paperwork and then the logbooks for the airplane.
#4 Then they look over the airplane.
#5 Then they begin the exam by observing you doing a routine pre-flight inspection and then you give the examiner a ride.
#6 We did something like two simple emergencies, a couple stalls and a couple landings, and he was satisfied.
#7 The examiner then handed me the SODA after completing another form.

I think in all it was under 3 hours from the time I showed up to leaving with the SODA.

I think in all it was under 3 hours from the time I showed up to leaving with the SODA.
Once you have the SODA, is it good for the entirety of your flying career?

Make sure your personal paperwork is in order. In your case it's probably pretty easy, but we had a guy in my club get one of the post-solo rides (he had one leg). He flew the club 150 from APA over to BJC where the FSDO was and didn't have the appropriate solo sign off for that trip and got nailed. Still the inspector was pretty good and called the instructor for a three way ass-reaming but no enforcement action ensued.

Make sure your personal paperwork is in order. In your case it's probably pretty easy, but we had a guy in my club get one of the post-solo rides (he had one leg). He flew the club 150 from APA over to BJC where the FSDO was and didn't have the appropriate solo sign off for that trip and got nailed. Still the inspector was pretty good and called the instructor for a three way ass-reaming but no enforcement action ensued.

I asked my FSDO if I could solo with the documents I had and it took 6 hours to get a response. They too said no, even though none of the documents I held at the time specifically said I couldn't.

I already had a PPL, with a fresh BFR and had plenty of experience in Cessna 150/152. I forget exactly but I'm pretty sure I was issued a student medical certificate at the physical. That was also taken by the FSDO at the time of the medical flight eval.

Now hold the phone. There's no such thing as a "student medical certificate." There are student pilot certificates and there are medical certificates. If you have a pilot certificdate now, you should not have been issued (nor do you need) a student pilot certificate.

Now hold the phone. There's no such thing as a "student medical certificate." There are student pilot certificates and there are medical certificates. If you have a pilot certificdate now, you should not have been issued (nor do you need) a student pilot certificate.

Thanks for catching my slip up. I still think I was issued a student certificate though. It seemed strange to me at the time and why I remember it that way. I might even have photographic evidence of it somewhere.

I went through basically the same thing for monocular vision, but my medical was valid for student pilot privileges only. I took my SODA ride just before my check ride. The FAA inspector was surprised that I had already soloed. I am not completely blind in the one eye. I can't see the big "E" on the chart, but have good peripheral vision and depth perception. The good eye is 20/20.
The SODA ride was basically an emergency engine out, identifying landmarks, identifying traffic in the pattern, a touch and go, and then she cut the engine abeam the numbers on downwind. I greased the landing, thanks to my CFI pulling that one on my more times than I can count.

You're correct in that you need one that allows student pilot privileges.

I had the same situation, "flight test only", and am also a monocular pilot (mostly monocular, as I do have peripheral vision in both eyes). I had to contact the FAA, someone from CAMI I believe, and request a medical that allowed me to solo. I then learned to fly, including my solo work. Right before I was ready for my checkride, I took my medical flight test. I was issued a SODA at that point, and took my checkride soon after.

I recommend e-mailing Dr. Bruce (aeromedicaldoc.com) to make sure you're contacting the right people and on the same path.

I went through the monovision medical flight ride several years after I had already received my PPL ticket. In my case it was required because of a CRVO event that took most of the vision on the right side. So my experience will be slightly different than yours.

I already had my ticket, just no medical at the time do to expiration during my self grounding period. After the appropriate time wait (thanks Doc Bruce for the help back then!) I did my flight physical, got put on the list, got my medical that was valid for medical test flight only from OK City. Called the Fort Worth FSDO and set things up. I went up with my CFI and we basically did what amounts do a decent BFR and a good bit of pattern work and what he told me was that if he didn't know I was blind on the right side he'd never know by how I landed the plane. Went to the FSDO for the appointment with my CFI, met the examiner, we talked about a lot of things, he had some questions about my limitations and we took off. Flew a bit around, he asking questions like, is this a good place to land in an engine out, why is that field bad, where would you go now. I did things like mention the cows in the field, the plowed rows, the terraced fields. We went back to Alliance and shot a couple of landings. That pretty much wrapped up the medical flight test portion of the morning. As I also had a color vision deficiency we then proceeded to do the tower light gun test at two distances on the ramp that I called correctly and I walked out with a statement of demonstrated ability and a clean medical. (well, I had an SI for a couple of cycles due to the CRVO but that's not gone away and I'm back in the normal pilot medical pool for class IIIs).

I would guess that since you are a student, you will need to be able land the airplane before you can actually take the medical flight test. You can't be solo until they clear your medical. So get thee to the airstrip and go fly with your CFI and learn my friend!

What I can say is that the FSDO guys aren't out to get you. They really do care for the most part and the dealings I've had with them with aeromedical stuff at the Fort Worth FSDO have always been good. They often have never flown with someone with whatever you are showing up with and are curious. When I did my tower light gun check, two other FSDO guys joined us because they'd never given one before and I was asked if I would be willing to be observed by 3 instead of the usual 1. I said sure. I was happy to be part of making sure that more examiners were trained and able to help out the next airman who has to go before them for a test.

Looks like you can take lessons but not solo until you have completed the medical ride.
Check with Doc Bruce, but also check with the FSDO that will be giving the evaluation. They may want you trained up to "solo" standards to see if your depth perception has developed enough to land the airplane.

I flew many years with a "one eyed pilot", he lost an eye to a fish hook at the age of 10. He said his SODA flight was basically picking out different colored cars on the ground, noting the differences between streams or roads from altitude. Seeing an elusive ridge line in the trees as they approached it. Some judgement of estimating distances.

He held an ATC with type ratings, all earned with one eye.

I will be going through the Monocular Vision MFT process (for my PPL) in a short while too and will update this thread as I go. My situation is a bit unusual as I have a valid Sport Pilot ticket, using my Driver's License as my medical. I own and fly the ELSA that I built and hope the ASI is willing to do the MFT ride in it. If not I can rent the SLSA version and will still feel at home in the airplane. The stress level of doing the MFT ride is likely pretty high already and being in an unfamiliar plane when you have to perform at your best is not a very good setup.

I took a demonstrated ability medical check ride for monocular vision and a severe traumatic brain injury before I was allowed to solo.

In my opinion many without a TBI would not have been able to pass it.

I have a class two medical now and am a CFI.

The SODA is forever.

I took a demonstrated ability medical check ride for monocular vision and a severe traumatic brain injury before I was allowed to solo.

In my opinion many without a TBI would not have been able to pass it.

I have a class two medical now and am a CFI.

The SODA is forever.

Vance, Did you originally take your MFT for the class 2 medical? Mine says good for class 3 medical, and I guess I'll need to take another one to get a class 2 medical.

I will be going through the Monocular Vision MFT process (for my PPL) in a short while too and will update this thread as I go. My situation is a bit unusual as I have a valid Sport Pilot ticket, using my Driver's License as my medical. I own and fly the ELSA that I built and hope the ASI is willing to do the MFT ride in it. If not I can rent the SLSA version and will still feel at home in the airplane. The stress level of doing the MFT ride is likely pretty high already and being in an unfamiliar plane when you have to perform at your best is not a very good setup.
I can tell you that you will need to be sure that everything is in order on whichever plane you take it in. They will give it quite the inspection (including logbooks) before the flight.

Vance, Did you originally take your MFT for the class 2 medical? Mine says good for class 3 medical, and I guess I'll need to take another one to get a class 2 medical.

My first demonstrated ability medical check ride was for a class three medical.

I am not aware of any difference in the vision required for a class III compared to a class II.

I still had to take another check ride to get my class II medical.

My SODA now says it is for class II.

I just renewed my medical today.

“Cover your right eye and read the chart.”

Unable, here is my SODA.

I love this stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back