Money Changes Everything - Experimental Savings

Faced with this conundrum, I concluded that the cost argument isn't Mooney vs RV, it's steam gauges vs glass cockpit and 9 year-old 400-hr TT airplane vs a 40 year old airplane with 5000 hours. And a cramped cockpit (for me). I opted for the RV.

Last edited:
Options are good. :)

MacFly choose a RV. Steingar choose a M20C. I choose a SR22. We all seem happy with our decisions. :cool: :D

For those that are mechanically skilled and like working on things, an experimental is a great option. I can do the the mechanical work; never done metal or fiberglass though, so either of those would be new. I just don't have the time. Plus most Angel Flight units don't allow experimental aircraft. I regularly have 3 seats filled, so a a four-seater is a must, and I doubt I'd survive the beatings from my wife if I bought a second plane. :eek::eek::eek: The DarkAero 1 is tempting though; with the rather large caveat that it comes at least close to their expected performance numbers.

The DarkAero 1 is tempting though; with the rather large caveat that it comes at least close to their expected performance numbers.
Man, is it ever!
I'm watching that one closely.

For those that are mechanically skilled and like working on things, an experimental is a great option. I can do the the mechanical work; never done metal or fiberglass though, so either of those would be new. I just don't have the time.

I don’t have the time either, so I bought an RV already built. I can work on it all I want...but since I’m not the builder, I didn’t get a repairman certificate and would need to get an AP to check my work and sign off. Or...I can just have the AP do it just like a certificated plane. In the meantime, non-STC parts and avionics are much cheaper.

I don’t have the time either, so I bought an RV already built. I can work on it all I want...but since I’m not the builder, I didn’t get a repairman certificate and would need to get an AP to check my work and sign off.

That's not correct. The poorly named "repairman" certificate only enables the holder to do the annual condition. Anybody can work on an experimental, with no A&P needed to sign it off. Whether just "anybody" should is another matter.

That's not correct. The poorly named "repairman" certificate only enables the holder to do the annual condition. Anybody can work on an experimental, with no A&P needed to sign it off.
This is technically true. But you will need either an A&P or the original builder to sign the next condition inspection and that could end up being a challenge if you decided to do something like extend the wings using only plywood and duct tape. So at most, a poorly designed or executed mod would be legal for a year.

This is technically true. But you will need either an A&P or the original builder to sign the next condition inspection and that could end up being a challenge if you decided to do something like extend the wings using only plywood and duct tape. So at most, a poorly designed or executed mod would be legal for a year.

"technically true", the best kind of true.

Although I believe a modification such as that would require a DAR inspection with another Phase I test period (5 hours IIRC).

Although I believe a modification such as that would require a DAR inspection with another Phase I test period (5 hours IIRC).
You're probably right and I'll admit it was a bad example, let's try again. It is completely legal for you to modify the fuel system on the homebuilt you bought using hardware store clear vinyl tubing. But you might then have a tough time finding an A&P who is willing to sign off your next condition inspection. Is that a better example?

A major change usually requires a 5 hour return to phase 1, but no DAR, you just have to notify the FAA and get their approval of the test area (usually the same test area specified in the operating limitations). But yes, if you do something really questionable, an A&P could, and should, refuse to sign off on the condition inspection.

You're probably right and I'll admit it was a bad example, let's try again. It is completely legal for you to modify the fuel system on the homebuilt you bought using hardware store clear vinyl tubing. But you might then have a tough time finding an A&P who is willing to sign off your next condition inspection. Is that a better example?
Yea. You do something stupid, then you should have an A&P shut you down. Good reason to not have a repairman certificate and do your own condition inspections.
On the other hand, replace the poorly routed rubber hose that ran through the cabin with AN fittings and aluminum tube without a big low spot - no problem from my A&P at condition inspection time.

Back