MOH by Penn Yan Aero

igorek82

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
i_like_it_inverted
Hi,

what's the reputation of Penn Yan Aero for engine rebuilds? engine in question is AEIO-360-H1B and it's ~200 SMOH ? anything specific to pay attention to ?

Thanks in advance!

Great shop,with a good reputation.In the top three shops.

Penyan is an industry benchmark shop.

Hi,

what's the reputation of Penn Yan Aero for engine rebuilds? engine in question is AEIO-360-H1B and it's ~200 SMOH ? anything specific to pay attention to ?

Thanks in advance!

My O-360-A4M has been running strong for 15+ years with periods of inactivity. Only issue (not their fault) is some oil burning probably from a broken ring. I'd definitely use them for the overhaul when it comes time. I emailed them for costs a year ago and the price seemed reasonable.

Always had good experience with them.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Their reputation is excellent.

But I have also heard good tings from G&N, Triad, Zephr and Mattituck. However didn't some buy Mattituck recently?

thank you everyone for your responses, much appreciated!

docmirror, yes, the engine in question was overhauled by penn yan aero ~10 years and 200 hours ago... wasn't used much since it seems ;-(

Borescope, pull a lifter(if you can on that eng) inspect the cam and run it. Unless it's busted, I wouldn't do a OH on the engine unless you just want to start spending money.

Maybe look up Mike Busch article on infant mortality. Or - talk to a guy on here Stratobee about his situation with engines.

docmirror, interesting, this engine is on the 8KCAB thats currently listed for sale, so was just curious...

Henning, it is in the North West... upon closer examination, it is the AEIO-360-H1A model...

Last edited:
Excellent shop. Did my engine a few years ago and they even worked in a high compression stc with no problem. A pleasure to work with and the engine runs like a top. Before the moh I had them do all my cylinder work.

Cheers.

I'm flying on a new rebuild from them right now about 75 hours in. So far so good.

Henning, it is in the North West... upon closer examination, it is the AEIO-360-H1A model...

East or west of the mountains? If it's out in the desert, my concern levels would be low. Might need some seals replaced.

We have a 172M that we had a Penn Yan 160 installed to replace the 150hp about 12 years ago.
We just had that engine overhauled in 2013. Other than the turn around time being a few weeks longer than quoted, we have had no issues.

I'm flying on a new rebuild from them right now about 75 hours in. So far so good.

Any oil analysis? I was seeing some high numbers and black stone was worrying me. Called Penn Yan and gave them the numbers. I was asked to keep flying it to 200 hours, increase oil changes and we will pick it up there. Hit 200 and all the numbers began to settle down. O360a4m

Henning, and what if it was something like NY? Just trying to learn here as my quest continues.... Thank you everyone for your replies!

Henning, and what if it was something like NY? Just trying to learn here as my quest continues.... Thank you everyone for your replies!

In damp climates when Lycomings sit around if not properly stored, camshaft failures are pretty common due to rusting and spalling.

Back