model airplane for teaching?

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Anyone know where I could get a model airplane for teaching?

What kind are you needing? ebay has just about every kind you can think of.

I'd say the toy store, but I guess kids today don't play with airplanes.

If you're gonna do it, do it right... http://www.airplanemodelworks.com/pitts-special-model-plane-p-451.html :D

I can still proudly say I do. I used to collect the Hot wings (I think that's what they're called) series. Cessnas, Bonanzas, other cool stuff. All the plastic stuff (prop, wheels, etc.) fell off after a while, but they're die cast. I used to keep one in my flight bag for when my dad wanted to explain something.

A local pilot shop (at Norwood, MA) had models of various GA aircraft.
I think my Cherokee 140 model cost all of $5.95

We have a plastic airplane with moving parts. It was about $15 but we order them using a company account so it's not like sportys. I still use the hot wings in most of my ground lessons. It would be incredibly easy to just cut out airplane parts and make the ailerons, rudder, and elevator movable using a piece of duct tape. It's primitive but functional.

We make them in the shop from whatever aluminum we have handy. Profile fuselage, wings creased to make them stiff and bent at 90° at the root and riveted to the fuselage, tail made the same way. Gear might have wheels or just gear legs. Some I made had wheels turned from nylon and fat O-rings for tires, and a trike and taildragger made that way are used to demonstrate directional stability--or lack of it--while rolling. One taildragger has a weight to make it balanced like the real thing to demonstrate what happens in a groundloop (it goes onto the outer wing and nose and if it's flipped just a tiny bit harder it ends up on its back, just like the real groundloop can do.)
We have a number of these things kicking around the offices and once in a while have to make more as some kid or other gets hold of one. A few months ago a guy who bought one of our old 172s saw one of these things painted up in the same colors as his airplane and paid $20 for it. Just had to have it.

Dan

Jeanie;
look in the phone book (do they still make those?) for a local hobby shop. I'd bet they would be more than happy to fix you up with something that would work great.
Just a thought.

Chris

Cheap, quick, easy, and unlike balsa ones, they really fly.
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=5/723&mode=Searching&erec=0&D=glider&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntk=all&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&N=0&Ntt=glider&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&sd=Glider+Assortment
So cheap you can afford to give them away. Put a thread through the wing slit to demonstrate flight without having to throw it. Teach the 4 forces, then adjust the wings back and forth to show stall characteristics.

Last edited:
I don't see ailerons, flaps, rudders, or an elevator on those gliders. I don't really see how those teach anything.

Cheap, quick, easy, and unlike balsa ones, they really fly.
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&sd=Glider+Assortment
So cheap you can afford to give them away. Put a thread through the wing slit to demonstrate flight without having to throw it. Teach the 4 forces, then adjust the wings back and forth to show stall characteristics.

I don't see ailerons, flaps, rudders, or an elevator on those gliders. I don't really see how those teach anything.

~~~~~~ Thanks Aunt Peggy - those look pretty cool! And in terms of flight controls well, scissors can remedy that! a little duct tape on the bottom and poof they move - sorta :D

Hell, can't you still buy those Guillows balsa gliders/rubber powered stick and sheet planes for 3 bucks at the hobby shop?

Back