MODE S, ADS-B, TIS, WX, We're Acronym Crazy

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
So I got to fly in a DA-40 the other day with a hi-tech glass cockpit. Now it got me thinking of all the things I'm missing. Not that I want a $40k glass cockpit, but a little extra info would help. I guess I have to know what all the acronyms are and how they relate to the various electronic components, pieces, and parts.

What I'd like is some traffic display but at what cost? What else needs to get upgraded? (and if it matters, it's all to ride around in a piper warrior, IFR approach and enroute certified, and I'd like to keep it that way.) A short grocery list with details would be nice but is this like asking a barber "Do I need a haircut?".

Disclaimer: While nothing that I work on can go into your Warrior (unless it's experimental), I've almost never met an avionic I didn't like.

The "Whole Hog" of currently available technology would be an EHSI and EAI. While you could go with a system like the Sandel line, a pair of instruments would set you back about $35K, and that's before you bought a GPS.

In my recommendations, I mostly point to the garmin GTX 330. The reason for this is that a true TCAS costs around $12,000 (for a Ryan system). There is one exception, the Zaon, mentioned below. In addition, the GTX 330 should be compatible with a GDL 90 for when ADS-B comes to a TRACON near you.

My recommended current "Whole Hog" would be an Aspen Avionics EFD1000 Pro (http://www.aspenavionics.com/index.php/products/evolutionoverview). For $10K this gives you a remarkable number of features and costs no more than a new, gyro HSI. The only downside to this is the newness of the Aspen system (which will start shipping at the end of the month).

Aspen EFD1000 Pro
$10,000

Garmin GMX200T
$9500
or
Avidyne EX500
$7500

Garmin GNS 430W
$8000

Garmin GDL 69 XM Datalink
$3000

Garmin GTX 330 Transponder with Mode S and TIS
$3700

So for about $30,000 you have enough info to make a jet pilot jealous. What if all of this is a little much for you?

Well, Axe the PFD and save $10,000, the MFD and another $10,000. This would leave you with the 430W with datalink weather and TIS traffic information. For another $2000 you could upgrade to a 530W with datalink weather and TIS traffic.

The "bare bones" option would be something like a Garmin 396, an SL30/40 and a GTX330. This would be about $7000, but would NOT be IFR approved.

Finally, for a "real" TCAS, consider a Zaon PCAS XRX (http://www.zaon.aero/) for $1800. You may wish to couple this to a Garmin 396 for as little as $1800 more.

~ Christopher

P.S. All of this assumes a certified airplane, if you have an experimental, allow me to shamelessly suggest that you visit Dynon (http://dynonavionics.com).

Last edited:
I'm a huge Zaon PCAS proponent (and reseller) but it should be clarified that PCAS is not "TCAS" as might be interpreted from Christopher's post. TCAS actively interrogates nearby transponders and listens for responses. PCAS, on the other hand, is passive. It relies on ground radar and overflying TCAS systems to provide the initial interrogation but then similarly listens for responses. It is highly effective and given the price is ideal for General Aviation where full TCAS systems might exceed the avionics budget.

Anthony

Back