"Mock" medical exam?

U

Unregistered

Are there any AME's that would perform a "mock" medical exam to see if one would pass a real medical evaluation? Is it even allowed?

I ask becouse I would like to get a class 3 medical and work on PP.
If there is any chance of failing, I don't want to risk not being able to fly as a sport pilot.

Areas of concern for the class 3 are:
Monocular vision. I know there is a demonstrated ability test and a special issuance.
History if A-Fib. IS possible, but needs a few tests, historys ect for approval.

Just wondering if I want to go through the hassle of a medical, if there is any chance of failure and risking the SP route.

Thanks.

Are there any AME's that would perform a "mock" medical exam to see if one would pass a real medical evaluation? Is it even allowed?

I ask becouse I would like to get a class 3 medical and work on PP.
If there is any chance of failing, I don't want to risk not being able to fly as a sport pilot.

Areas of concern for the class 3 are:
Monocular vision. I know there is a demonstrated ability test and a special issuance.
History if A-Fib. IS possible, but needs a few tests, historys ect for approval.

Just wondering if I want to go through the hassle of a medical, if there is any chance of failure and risking the SP route.

Thanks.
I believe so. My AME is a primary care physician and also runs a walk in clinic. You can make an appointment for a routine physical (no FAA forms) and ask if there are any disqualifying medical issues after the evaluation.

YES! Dr. Bruce, (bbchien on this board) for example, basically will make sure you can pass the medical before starting any irrevocable paperwork for that very reason. I can heartily recommend him, as will a bunch of others here and on other boards. He'll work with you to make sure you have all the needed tests and verbiage.

He's not the only one who will do this; just the one that many of us here know and use.

He's not the only one who will do this; just the one that many of us here know and use.
True, but because he is one of the best, it can be very worth taking the extra effort, time, and travel expense to have him do the exam once all is ready to go official.

Many others have posted here and on the AOPA board that going directly to him made the entire process much simpler than working with a not-quite-so-motiveated local AME.

To the OP. Dr. Bruce will be along shortly and provide some public advice. Listen to and follow it. And converse with him via private message or email to get the "shopping" list of what to gather up before doing your mock or real exam.

Unreg, if there is a concern about afib (past? or present?) that needs to get fleshed out before you even show up. You can certify in Afib, but more commonly if you aren't in it, you need an echo, a recent holter, and a recent stress EKG to 9 minutes to exclude Coronary disease, which can be a cause.

Most of the time in Afib chronically, you are taking Coumadin. If that is true, then you need to show 4 out of 5 regularly spaced "INR" Prothrombin times between 2.0 and 3.0.

Monocular vision is only needed if you can't correct the affected eye to 20/40. That's a nonevent, and the ride occurs after solo. Your medical is endorsed, "valid for student purpoes only", meaning you can solo on it and get good enough to ride with the FSDO inspector who checks out your adaptation to two-eyed tasks. The ride takes about 18 minutes. Once past that you never worry about monocular vision again. Ever.

This process is a consultation. It can occur mostly from afar and you only need to get to Peoria if it comes to getting a certificate. And, if your local AME is willing to call, we can put the whole file together and then you go to the local guy (with varying results- the GOAL of this approach is to get approval at time of exam so you walk out with certificate.

In the case of Grant....we'll I'll let him tell the story if he wishes. We got approval about 45 minutes AFTER, while at lunch....but that's risky for me personally.

True, but because he is one of the best, it can be very worth taking the extra effort, time, and travel expense to have him do the exam once all is ready to go official.

Many others have posted here and on the AOPA board that going directly to him made the entire process much simpler than working with a not-quite-so-motiveated local AME.

To the OP. Dr. Bruce will be along shortly and provide some public advice. Listen to and follow it. And converse with him via private message or email to get the "shopping" list of what to gather up before doing your mock or real exam.

Fully agreed (and he's already posted now). I just didn't want to give the impression that we're just shilling for him. Heck, I got my medical from him, and Leslie's doing the same in 10 hours.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back