Mock Checkride

davef22

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Hi,

I am done with all requirements for my private pilot license and now starting the mock-check rides with my instructor. What should I expect in these flights and typically how many mock check rides are done before your instructor signs you off?

Thanks!

Well you don't technically need any. Ideally, the checkride is identical to the real one (or perhaps more rigorous) and as long as you perform well, that should be it.

I do not believe I had mock checkride. I did my private at a Part141 school. I had a stage check and then was signed off.

I did do a mock checkride for my instrument rating.

You should expect your mock checkride to be like your actual checkride! Your instructor will proabably do the ground portion as well as the flying and have you do everything in the PTS to PTS standards. If he feels you are good to go, he'll sign you off. If you don't perform well enough or have to work on a couple of manuevers, he probably won't sign you off. I did my Commercial mock checkride with the Chief CFI and he told me to work on Lazy 8's before I take the checkride. So i worked om that along with landings and other manauevers with my CFI and I was signed off.

What should I expect in these flights
Just what it says in the PTS and FAA Order 8900.2 (the DPE's handbook). Your instructor should be familiar with all that, and should walk you through it.

and typically how many mock check rides are done before your instructor signs you off?
As many as it takes for your instructor to be reasonably certain you'll pass the actual test. Most likely one, but might be a few -- can't say without putting you through it.

I passed my checkride a couple months ago. I had one mock checkride with a senior instructor who I had never flown with before. I was a little ambivalent at first, as it was a policy of my flight school to require this even for part 61 instruction, and it seemed like a way for them to take one last shot at my bank account before signing me off. But in the end I'm glad I did it, especially given that it was an all new instructor to me. I picked up a couple of tips that came in handy for the real thing.

Here are the two tips he gave me...

1) For cross country planning, pick waypoints that are not too far off, and expect to be asked ETA to your first waypoint, not just ETE. So I made my first checkpoint the edge of Class D of the airport that I started at, and sure enough as soon as I was on course she asked for the ETA to waypoint #1. At that point it was like 3 minutes away, so I looked at my watch and added 3 minutes. And as soon as I passed that point she had me divert. Cross country done in less than 5 minutes!

2) You will be asked to demonstrate a slip to landing, but you can do it before you are asked if you have the opportunity. My checkride instructor suggested that the simulated engine out landing would be the perfect time to demonstrate a slip to landing. Come in intentionally high on a short approach and transition your turn to final into a slip. On the real checkride I did just that, and man, it was a thing of beauty! The examiner actually complimented me on it ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back