Mmm...food

Doug R

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Doug R
Ok all this talk about Gastons food and drink has made me hungry.
Here is my top 10 list of good eats. Compiled from years and years of expert road analysis or something like that.
I figure we have a fairly diverse group here.. across the country so maybe you can give one of these a shot.

10. KASG - good home food at home here in NW Arkansas, nice view of the field.
9. Albuquerque - KABQ- Sadies...not TexMEX and not Mexican...just good ole hotter than hot New Mexico food. First time I had a Roberto Special at Sadies the next morning on short final into DFW I honestly thought I was having a kidney stone...oooeeee cleared me out and I was then ready to go for the next zillion visits. Never mind the landing.
8.Tucson AZ - La Parrilla Suiza- same as ABQ hot hot hot good good good.
7.KPWK- Chicago Palwaukee- Ellies pancake house-ran by a nice group of Greek folks who serve a great breakfast.
6.KTEB-Teterbor NJ - If your flying into Newyarrk City this is the Corp landing spot. After a 4 day layover we found some place (?name) in Jersey on day 2 that served the most massive drinks by a guy named MO from Brooklyn. After a few drinks it was No MO...No MO. I no its not a food but what the heck.
5.KGYI-Sherman Texas- Randys BBQ...I've been a customer of his for ..this is scary... 18 and 1/2 years. mmmmgood beef brisket.
4.KMKC- K.C. Downtown - Garozzo's - Best Italian atmosphere and excellent menu. In the Heart of K.C. downtown. Shuttle From Executive Beach will take you there.
3. Albuquerque - KABQ-AGAIN- The Owl Cafe- Great cheeseburger with green chlies. Since 1949..used to serve the boys making the big bomb out in that area...
2. KUOX-Oxford Miss- One of the biggest suprises I have ever had. Like walking back in time ..the downtown square is really neat. Home of the AJAX diner on the square. This place is the best home cooking your ever gonna eat. They have been on the travel channel,food channel and have had several articles written about them. Pure southern charm and with the best meatloaf ever made on this earth. yep meatloaf can be good.

and #1
1. K50R - Lockhart Texas....Holy Grail of BBQ - Blacks BBQ and Smittys are as good as it can get. Both located in this small town just S.E. of Austin TX. Best BBQ you will eat in your life.

Ok there it is sorry it is long..... lets here your choices to go for the $$$$$ hamburger.

These are the first two that come to mind.... but, unlike you Doug, I'm not a highly paid corporate pilot who gets to sample fine airport dining all over the country. :D

Ada, Oklahoma - KADH - Bob's BBQ. A short walk from the field. Top notch BBQ.
Shell Knob, MO - MO00 (Turkey Mountain). The food's better than average, but the runway is awesome (4,000' x 80' sod in great shape - a Mooney could even land there :))

gibbons said:
These are the first two that come to mind...

And what about 08MO, Mr. Chip Gibbons. I hear even a Bonanza can land there? ;)

could be the reason I couldnt squeeze into the back of that Citabra. Still trying to figure out how it can that be smaller than a Pitts S-2 for control yoke clerence..clarance ..cleraecne... shizz ...its been a long day.

We have clearance Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur! Oveur.
Tower voice: Roger.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: Roger, over.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Captain Oveur: Huh?

It's been a long while since I was there but from the Plum Island airport (Newburyport MA) it was a pleasant walk into town. There was a seafood place with the dining deck over the water and they had the best lobster ever.

"Do you like Gladitor Movies...?"

Diana said:
And what about 08MO, Mr. Chip Gibbons. I hear even a Bonanza can land there? ;)
How could I have neglected the quaint outdoor dining at 08MO? Best burgers in eight states. If you're lucky you can catch it on "Healthy Choice" day. Lovely view of the runway. Great hangar talk. The service is a bit suspect but the price is right. :D

ps... Yep, a Bonanza can land there.

gibbons said:
How could I have neglected the quaint outdoor dining at 08MO? Best burgers in eight states. If you're lucky you can catch it on "Healthy Choice" day. Lovely view of the runway. Great hangar talk. The service is a bit suspect but the price is right. :D

ps... Yep, a Bonanza can land there.

"service is a bit suspect" Is that why you didn't leave a tip? :p

This is where you have to sit if you don't leave tips:

Diana said:
"service is a bit suspect" Is that why you didn't leave a tip? :p

This is where you have to sit if you don't leave tips:

THAT is the bad seats?!?!?!

OMG!! I haven't seen a place with seating that good in centuries..and that was before I quit leaving tips before I started banning places.

Cathy and I have still only managed one $100 hamburger run, but we'll recommend Fiorentino's Bar and Grill at LNS (Lancaster, PA). We've also driven over there on a rainy day. We've sampled several of their dishes, and all of them are yummy. Italion stuff.

I've still not been able to make a run for crab cakes, darn it. I've decided to make that a priority mid-June or early July. Maybe that'll be Cathy's anniversary present to me :D

So far, of my 2 experiences of the $100 hamburger, by far, the restaurant at Nantucket has to be the best, by far. It's an awesome thing to see, and the burger was not too bad!

Back