Missouri River South of Omaha

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I flew a pseudo cross country yesterday to Nebraska City, Plattsmouth, and back yesterday (I don't think it counts as an XC 'cuz I didn't land at those places). I really needed the flight-planning and navigation practice.

The Missouri River is really full- many farms underwater. I couldn't take pictures because I felt I needed to keep a watch outside- lots of traffic because it was a reasonably nice day. But imagine the following:
  • Center pivot irrigation sticking up above a lake
  • Hwy 2 from Nebraska City and surrounding roads looking like an inverse Venice- the roads are raised slightly above the water
  • A coal-fired power plant almost surrounded by water. The tracks by the river to the plant are under water
  • A new development under construction- the roads are visible as dark areas under the water
  • The river using nearly all of its flood plain

I flew a pseudo cross country yesterday to Nebraska City, Plattsmouth, and back yesterday (I don't think it counts as an XC 'cuz I didn't land at those places). I really needed the flight-planning and navigation practice.

The Missouri River is really full- many farms underwater. I couldn't take pictures because I felt I needed to keep a watch outside- lots of traffic because it was a reasonably nice day. But imagine the following:
  • Center pivot irrigation sticking up above a lake
  • Hwy 2 from Nebraska City and surrounding roads looking like an inverse Venice- the roads are raised slightly above the water
  • A coal-fired power plant almost surrounded by water. The tracks by the river to the plant are under water
  • A new development under construction- the roads are visible as dark areas under the water
  • The river using nearly all of its flood plain

I've been planning a flight almost exactly like this. My wife's grandmother has evacuated her home of 60+ years and they're expecting it to be under 6 feet of water later this week...with no flood insurance.

I'm offering flights to her family if and when it hits.

There was a TFR around the nuke plant north of Omaha. It was small enough to only be a nuisance although I didn't go up there. I guess they are seeing water coming close too.

Back