Missing geography on Golden Eagle?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I was trying to plan a flight from MHT to 6Y9 and was not at my regular computer where I have Flight prep Golden Eagle installed so I used AOPA Internet Flight Planner. I thought I found a great route that minimized over water with only lie 20nm more than the direct route over LOTS of water. The flight took me from MHT to ART ( Watertown NY) then over Canada. The route is basically as follows:

ART YSO YVV CNR4 JOFFS CYZE SAW D->

The beauty of this route as displayed on AOPA Internet Flight Planner is that you fly north west up the Bruce Penisula which runs between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Then across cape hurd and a small strait of water between Huron and Georgian Bay and then over Mantioulin Island to JOFFS intersection and over CYZE then Drummond Island and onto the Upper Penisula of MI and SAW then on to 6Y9 with really really small over water crossing.

I have attached a screen shot from AOPA of the section up the Bruce Penisula and Manitoulin Island and on to the UP

Then when I got to my computer with Golden Eagle I re-entered the flight plan and Poof Manitoulin just disappeared as well as the JOFFS intersection and CYZE. All that showed was a HUGE expanse of H2O between the Bruce Penisula and the UP.

I have attached a screen shot of that as well. I thought I was going nuts so I checked the big Rand Mcnally Map I have in mounted in my office and sure enough there was Manitoulin Island, Drummond island all of which practically but up against the UP.

whats with Golden Eagle? Where did a land mass the size of Long island go? Anyone have any insight?

Attachments

• MHT.6Y9.IFP.doc
    537.5 KB · Views: 21
Sorry I'm having a dickens of a time posting the Golden Eagle Map. Can't seem to figure out how to do it. Apparently its an invalid file type.

Last edited:
Apparently its the largest freaking freshwater Island in the WORLD
It's a defect in the database they buy. I ran into the same problem last summer when flying from Montreal to Minneapolis, so I called them and asked about it. The size threshold for deciding whether or not to include islands is set wrong, apparently at the vendor. I'm a little surprised it's not fixed by now.

The workaround is to display the sectional instead of the built-in topo map. I prefer working with the sectionals anyway, especially with their new release and the fast, seamless rendering.

It looks fine on my screen although I am missing two of the waypoints but not JOFFS.

Ray the waypoints are there but not the dang island.
I just checked in Chartcase and the islands are showing. So you must have an old topo database/maybe from last summer when I had the same problem.

Hi! My name is Travis and I'm a staff member at FlightPrep, the company that makes the Golden Eagle software. Unfortunately there is an error in our terrain database. Barrie Island is not visible on the Terrain map in the software. This is the small island located to the west of Gore Bay / Manitoulin (CYZE) and is the location of the YZE VOR. The rest of Manitoulin Island should be visible in the software with the latest terrain database.

Also, several of the waypoints mentioned are not in our database as well; CNR4 and CYZE. This often happens with Canadian navigation waypoints. Currently our software only covers the United States. We have some Canadian data, but it is very limited.

Our apologies for the inconvenience. We've logged the issue. Please let us know if you have any other problems using the software.

Thanks!

I was trying to plan a flight from MHT to 6Y9 and was not at my regular computer where I have Flight prep Golden Eagle installed so I used AOPA Internet Flight Planner. I thought I found a great route that minimized over water with only lie 20nm more than the direct route over LOTS of water. The flight took me from MHT to ART ( Watertown NY) then over Canada. The route is basically as follows:

ART YSO YVV CNR4 JOFFS CYZE SAW D->

The beauty of this route as displayed on AOPA Internet Flight Planner is that you fly north west up the Bruce Penisula which runs between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Then across cape hurd and a small strait of water between Huron and Georgian Bay and then over Mantioulin Island to JOFFS intersection and over CYZE then Drummond Island and onto the Upper Penisula of MI and SAW then on to 6Y9 with really really small over water crossing.

I have attached a screen shot from AOPA of the section up the Bruce Penisula and Manitoulin Island and on to the UP

Then when I got to my computer with Golden Eagle I re-entered the flight plan and Poof Manitoulin just disappeared as well as the JOFFS intersection and CYZE. All that showed was a HUGE expanse of H2O between the Bruce Penisula and the UP.

I have attached a screen shot of that as well. I thought I was going nuts so I checked the big Rand Mcnally Map I have in mounted in my office and sure enough there was Manitoulin Island, Drummond island all of which practically but up against the UP.

whats with Golden Eagle? Where did a land mass the size of Long island go? Anyone have any insight?

You sure about that 2nd waypoint?
Did you mean CYOS???
YSO seems to go off to the North East into Ted territory... :D

Love that you've taken charge on NAV duties! :)
Maybe I can talk you into COMM duties too??? :D

Edit: Nevermind I see the VOR you're talking about now...

Last edited:
You sure about that 2nd waypoint?
Did you mean CYOS???
YSO seems to go off to the North East into Ted territory... :D

Love that you've taken charge on NAV duties! :)
Maybe I can talk you into COMM duties too??? :D

Edit: Nevermind I see the VOR you're talking about now...

Nope I meant YSO its just north of lake ontario. actually makes sense just to skip YSO and go ART YVV

Last edited:
Hi! My name is Travis and I'm a staff member at FlightPrep, the company that makes the Golden Eagle software. Unfortunately there is an error in our terrain database. Barrie Island is not visible on the Terrain map in the software. This is the small island located to the west of Gore Bay / Manitoulin (CYZE) and is the location of the YZE VOR. The rest of Manitoulin Island should be visible in the software with the latest terrain database.

Also, several of the waypoints mentioned are not in our database as well; CNR4 and CYZE. This often happens with Canadian navigation waypoints. Currently our software only covers the United States. We have some Canadian data, but it is very limited.

Our apologies for the inconvenience. We've logged the issue. Please let us know if you have any other problems using the software.

Thanks!

Hi Travis thanks for the info. I see the JOFFS intersection and YZE and YEM but they look like they are in the middle of the lake no island. I am using version 5.1.4 I definitly don't have Manitoulin Island on the Golden Eagle. I download the updates from the Internet when ever there is one. What am I missing? GE is my primary flight planner and I'd like to get that fix or patch when it occurs

Hi Travis thanks for the info. I see the JOFFS intersection and YZE and YEM but they look like they are in the middle of the lake no island. I am using version 5.1.4 I definitly don't have Manitoulin Island on the Golden Eagle. I download the updates from the Internet when ever there is one. What am I missing? GE is my primary flight planner and I'd like to get that fix or patch when it occurs

I uninstalled 5 and installed the latest version 6 so maybe that is what updates the underlying database.

I was having a lot of trouble with 5 not updating.

Back