gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
passing along from CPA
--------------------------------------------
Hello fellow fliers........

I hope you can assist me in locating my aircraft which went missing the night of March 1 from Oliver Airport, in the south Okanagan of BC. It was last seen at the airport in March 1st morning and was not there when I went to check on the plane this afternoon, March 2nd. They picked the first clear night in a while and a nearly full moon to steal it. It may have been stolen for smuggling or it may be taken somewhere to be stripped or altered (e.g., painting or false registration) and then moved elsewhere over time.

The plane is a 1966 Cessna 182, white in colour with two thin stripes along the side, one green and the other brown. It has Rosen sun visors (green pull down sun visors) and green tinted windows. As noted above it has the Canadian Registration C-FBCG on both sides of the fuselage in brown vinyl letters. It has a piece of purple carpet cover on the glare shield which will be visible through the window. Interior is avocado green as are the seats. It has wing strobes and a tail beacon.

I’ve sent this to the COPA Flight contacts in BC and Alberta and I’m hoping that you might send this email to others in your clubs and to other nonmember pilots in your area in case the plane turns up at an airport near you. I suspect they took it south (we’re only 15 miles north of the US border) and have notified all authorities there of the theft in case they can find it once the thieves are finished with it. However, I believe that other pilots will give me a better chance of finding it, since there are only so many places to land and there are COPA/AOPA members everywhere who may be able to assist with their eyes and ears at their airports. If you have contacts in Idaho, Washington or Montana please forward this email to them in case they see it.

I just bought it as my move up aircraft last year and would like to get it back. I thought it was safe at a locked, fenced airport with doors locked but it appears that was not enough. I’ve included photos of the plane taken in January this year.

If you have any information on this aircraft, please contact me by email or by phone at 250 498-2205. Alternatively, contact the police in your area and give them any information. The police file rests with the Oliver, BC detachment of the RCMP.

Thanks for your consideration

Bill Michael
Osoyoos, BC

Attachments

• 005_03.jpg
    005_03.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 54
  • 003_01.jpg
    003_01.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 71
God, I hope one of us can spot this plane... and I hope the sorry SOB who stole it resists arrest!

can someone post this on the red board if it's not already there? I let my membership lapse a couple of months ago ...

I sent an email back up thru the chain to verify this story. Not only did I get verification, but even better - they found the plane!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Greg.....I just spoke to Bill and his 182
has been located this morning at the Twist
Airport in Washington, and is now in safe hands
until Bill gets down to Twist to fly it home.

There will be message coming directly from Bill
tomorrow and I will forward it to everyone who
so graciously assisted us in our search.

We are truly grateful to all of our friends down south!

Thank You!

PENTICTON Flying Club / COPA Flight 50

Gary
Flight Communications

I sent an email back up thru the chain to verify this story. Not only did I get verification, but even better - they found the plane!

Thank You!

Gary
Flight Communications

Excellent! Wonder what the story is and how bad of a beatdown the wannabe "owner" got.

I'll post the update here when I get it.

Thank You!

Gary
Flight Communications

I bet they meant to say Twisp... (I'm from Washington originally)

FOUND! Re: Missing, and presumed stolen airplane C182 C-FBCG...help requested please

email from the owner...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To all of you that received my original messages of the last few days regarding my stolen aircraft,

I got a call this afternoon from the RCMP that the aircraft has been found in Twisp, Washington by local pilots at that airport. They have arranged to have it secured in a hanger so that it is safe and it doesn’t go any farther. Other than having a lot of fingerprint dust all over it, I understand that it looks to be in good shape. Wherever it went in the 2.5 hours on the Hobbs meter is unknown but it is a relief for me to know where it is and I can start to think about getting it back when the weather clears and I can get a mechanic to have a look at it to see that it is airworthy.

I have another very important task to do first though, and that is to thank all of you who received a message from me, or from those people who were kind enough to forward the word out there to others, that an aircraft was suspected to be stolen and could you help the person who had it stolen. From some of the feedback I’ve received there was a lot of quick activity as my request was spread several hundred miles in every direction within a few days by you.

Thank you all for taking the time to assist someone who needed your help, someone most of you don’t even know yet were considerate enough to try to do what you could to help. I appreciate your kindness and if there is ever some way I can help you, please feel free to contact me and I too will do what I can for you.

Bill Michael
Email bmichael@img.net

Ps: Could I ask one more favor of you, and that is for you to forward this message of thanks to anyone you sent the original messages to so that they will know their thoughts and efforts were appreciated. Bill M.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet they meant to say Twisp... (I'm from Washington originally)

Yeah, it's Twisp, but a lot of the older locals pronounce it 'Twisped' (my personal fav) and occasionally, 'Twist' as well.
That's great about the recovery!

Just like the songs says, "sure could use a little good news today...."
I think this fits the bill. Good news indeed.

Yeah, it's Twisp, but a lot of the older locals pronounce it 'Twisped' (my personal fav) and occasionally, 'Twist' as well.
That's great about the recovery!

Like the good ol' boy that kept calling it "GasKINS" on the CTAF?

Oliver Airport to Twisp is about a 30 minute flight going direct. He said they put 2.5 on the Hobbs, so the CMP and FBI should have some limited places to look for where the plane has been and what is was doing. I would expect that CMP would talk to the FBI or Homeland Security about something like this, but in case they did not I sent the information to the Seattle Field Office of the FBI. Someone was up to no good, with a plane that can carry a lot more than they could put in a trunk to run the border crossing. It would be interesting to know who and what was in the plane when it landed in the US.

I think if that were my plane, I would be having a drug dog checking it out real well before taking possession. Would suck to lose it again crossing the border because of remnants of someone else's previous cargo.

I think if that were my plane, I would be having a drug dog checking it out real well before taking possession. Would suck to lose it again crossing the border because of remnants of someone else's previous cargo.

That's a recurring nightmare when you own a hauler.

Back