Missed calls

I can see it simply being that they were both so professionally embarrassed that they could not conceive a rational explanation. A lifetime of safe and professional work, shot down in one painful afternoon.
Doncha just hate it when clients do stuff like that before you can stop them?

I'm inclined to buy the laptop story for the reasons you stated in addition to the explanation from my neighbor who's been complaining about the time he's had to spend on his computer learning the new dispatch/bidding system being put in place. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there are significant numbers of NWA/Delta pilots who've been spending considerable time discussing that system verbally in their airline cockpits during flights. Chances are the two pilots in this incident had concluded that since it was a work related issue, the use of their laptops during flight was marginally acceptable (I'm not saying I think it was OK, just that I can see how they might have come to that conclusion). I also suspect that these two aren't the only ones working on their bidding system training during flight, just the first (and hopefully last) ones to screw up because of it.

Perhaps -- I just still can't grasp how you'd lose touch with the flight for that long. We'll never know I guess...**** happens.

Back