Misdemeanors and medical deferrment question

U

Unregistered

I'll try to keep it brief.

Just about exactly one year ago, a few co-workers and I got arrested for being too loud in a hotel.

In the morning, there was a shift change and a couple of us(myself included), needed to get the ball rolling on what happened next. Bailout, remand, straight to court, ect... We needed to know. So... I came up with this great idea to take the lightbulbs out. As you can imagine, they didn't like it very much...

Basically, the original charges were:
Misdemeanor: Tresspassing
Felony: Injury to Jails

In court the actual convictions were reduced to:
Misdemeanor: Disturbing the peace
Misdemeanor: Malicious injury to property

Fined, and a wopping 30 dollars restitution paid. A felony charge for 30 dollars damage. Lovely. This is the only time I've ever been in trouble, or done trouble for that matter. I'm pretty straight and narrow, well, was.

Anyways, I'm coming up on needing another medical. What are some possible outcomes?

Issuance would be the best obviously, but I imagine I'm getting deferred.

What can speed this along? I've looked all over the internet for 18w topics and there doesn't appear to be any specific guidance. I have the court documents. I don't have the arrest report however and it doesn't appear that I need it, but that's why I'm here.

Might register if I ever get over the embarrassment, but currently working at largish freight airline, f that has any bearing. Hell of a time to goof up. That's for sure.

Thanks!

18w. Check yes. Explain in 18w.

Too loud in a hotel and removing light bulbs in a jail cell would seem to involve alcohol. True?

Now you are going to have to deal with the alcohol protocols. How do you answer the question: what were you thinking? And, are you 15?

So try to tell me how all this happened without alcohol?

Keep in mind however they are looking for convictions, not charges. You can answer 18v no, assuming its no.

18w. Check yes. Explain in 18w.

Too loud in a hotel and removing light bulbs in a jail cell would seem to involve alcohol. True?

Now you are going to have to deal with the alcohol protocols. How do you answer the question: what were you thinking? And, are you 15?

So try to tell me how all this happened without alcohol?

Keep in mind however they are looking for convictions, not charges. You can answer 18v no, assuming its no.

Nope, no alcohol. Just too many dudes in one room. The "what were you thinking?" question is something I will just have to deal with. It seemed innocent at the time as a means to get someone's attention. It worked...

18v will indeed be no.

All I'm looking for is, will my medical be issued or deferred?

Do you have an attorney well versed in aviation issues?

Waah why aren't there more pilots. Why ever is GA dying? Forget the medical, go fly SP, sailplanes, hanggliders, balloons, take up skydiving, ultralights. Be like everyone else sensible and stop playing along with the 'crats.

Well... you can always say you were trying to get the jail to go green and were waiting for an order of CFLs to come in...

As for the rest, I have no idea; but I wouldn't be shocked if they required a psych eval. The behavior does seem a bit odd for a group of sober, adult men. It deviates a bit from the more commonly-encountered sorts of testosterone-fueled grab-a$$ing.

My [totally unqualified] advice is to wait for Dr. Bruce to chime in before making an appointment with your AME. If I had to guess, I'd say there may be a psych eval in your future.

-Rich

From the FAA's perspective, this is an aeromedical issue, not a legal issue, so don't go spending money on an aviation attorney just yet. As they said, check "yes" and tell your story and note that no alcohol was involved. There is nothing on the form asking what you were charged with, only what you were convicted of, and those were both misdemeanors (make that clear), along with the massive fine you paid (should get a chuckle in Oklahoma City when they read it). As for how this will probably play out, wait for Bruce Chien to answer.

There's a joke in there somewhere, just trying to work its way out.:yes:

Unreg, PM me, with a real email addy. To tell you what is really going to happen or not, I need to see the court papers and you sure don't want to be posting them here.

I do charge for advice (a fast review is about $100, a review that requires that I "ping out") is a smitch more.....but as you are professional I think you will think it worthwhile.

Alternatively if your local AME is a HIMS guy (there are 100 of us, we do the drug/alcohol/psych- and psych is what is at stake here) you might consult with him prior to the 8500-8.

"I don't see a real problem here" but many roads to h_ll were paved with that statmeent.

My email from this site works.

Thanks for the insight everyone and for taking it easy on the judgement.

Bruce, I'll gather things up and contact you.

Do you have an attorney well versed in aviation issues?

Dr. Bruce has cured me of that knee jerk reaction because here this gentlemen [and I'm assuming he's male because this a too much testosterone issue apparently] does not need a lawyer - he needs a HIMS doc to tell him if he's gonna need a psych consult before he submits.

I am not quite sure how to start my own thread on here because I am pretty new to the site. However, I have a similar question regarding misdemeanors.
I recently got ticketed for having some drug paraphernalia (marijuana pipe). No charges for drug possession. I am wondering if it is going to be impossible to get hired on with a big carrier with this on my record... Im a first time offender.

I am not quite sure how to start my own thread on here because I am pretty new to the site. However, I have a similar question regarding misdemeanors.
I recently got ticketed for having some drug paraphernalia (marijuana pipe). No charges for drug possession. I am wondering if it is going to be impossible to get hired on with a big carrier with this on my record... Im a first time offender.
Misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia is not on the list of disqualifying offenses in 49 CFR 1544.229, so I won't say it's impossible, but it will be very, very difficult. You can pretty much figure on your resume going to the bottom of the pile, reappearing only when there are no other qualified applicants without any sort of drug-related criminal record. I know that's a very tough situation for you, but you made a really bad choice back there, and the airlines don't like trusting a couple of hundred lives and a $50-100M jet to people who have any history at all of bad choices when they can get people with no such history. It will take a lot of years of clean living to bury that mistake deep enough for them not to be bothered by it.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back