Minnesota CFI - Any recommendations?

Greg4014

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Greg4014
I'm looking for a CFI at Anoka - Blaine Airport. I'd prefer someone not affiliated with any of the local training schools / pilot factories or in other words I'm looking for an independent CFI.

I'm looking for a CFI at Anoka - Blaine Airport. I'd prefer someone not affiliated with any of the local training schools / pilot factories or in other words I'm looking for an independent CFI.

What training are your looking for.

Dan Mc Donald is on the other side of town at KSGS. He runs a 1-man outfit (www.alphazulullc.com) out of one of the commercial hangars behind Wipline. While he has his own plane, he may be open to teaching in a owner plane. I know, it's not your side of town, just an option that came to my mind.

No, but considering a Cherokee 180 prior to beginning.

Unless you have some past experience in aviation (or don't care about the money), I would HIGHLY recommend that you train a little bit before buying an airplane. Do you even know that you'll like flying? Do you know what your typical mission is and how the Cherokee fits into it? Will you be able to fly it in the winter? Etc.

Just my $.02.

Unless you have some past experience in aviation (or don't care about the money), I would HIGHLY recommend that you train a little bit before buying an airplane. Do you even know that you'll like flying? Do you know what your typical mission is and how the Cherokee fits into it? Will you be able to fly it in the winter? Etc.

Just my $.02.

Understood. Enjoy flying, grew up in a flying family and spent quite a bit of time in our 235 flying off the strip on our farm. Not going to pull the trigger until I find the right instructor and the stars align.

Dan Mc Donald is on the other side of town at KSGS. He runs a 1-man outfit (www.alphazulullc.com) out of one of the commercial hangars behind Wipline. While he has his own plane, he may be open to teaching in a owner plane. I know, it's not your side of town, just an option that came to my mind.

Thanks Weilke. Probably is a bit far but seems like exactly what I'm looking for. I may touch base with Dan anyway for a joyride and to determine if he knows of someone on the north side of the twins.

While I didn't flying personally with Mark, he did flight training in the Warrior that I used to fly when I lived in St. Paul.

Mark A. Calabria 612-385-4132

Otherwise my only thought would be check with some of the flight instructors up there and see if they will teach you on the side. Some just might if they are hungry enough and you have your own aircraft.

While I didn't flying personally with Mark, he did flight training in the Warrior that I used to fly when I lived in St. Paul.

Mark A. Calabria 612-385-4132

Otherwise my only thought would be check with some of the flight instructors up there and see if they will teach you on the side. Some just might if they are hungry enough and you have your own aircraft.

If they can. Many aren't allowed to (by contract).

Thanks Weilke. Probably is a bit far but seems like exactly what I'm looking for. I may touch base with Dan anyway for a joyride and to determine if he knows of someone on the north side of the twins.

If you don't mind paying for the fuel and whatever fees he wants for the hobbs, he might come to your airport of choice.

If they can. Many aren't allowed to (by contract).

That is if they are employees of the flight school.

While you can write anything into a contract, in the IRS 20 factor test, 'exclusivity of services' is one of the criteria to jeopardize IC status. So while the informal contract may be 'you work for me only or I fire you', few will be dumb enough to put this on paper.

Tim Hakko 612-991-6295. Just did my MEI with him. Excellent instructor.

Hello I belong to Club Cherokee which flies out of Crystal MN and Lake Elmo. I got my ticket in April. Going through a club could save you thousands, they charge by tach hour and all of our CFI's (who are outstanding) charge a flat $35.00 an hour.

I know that our primary club instructor would work with students outside the club if you are so interested. You might need to pick him up at KMIC though!..

Good Luck and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Sorry for the delayed response, jut saw your post. I'm an independent CFI in the Twin Cities and I'd be happy to help you out, even if it is to point you in the direction of someone else locally. I've also owned a bunch of planes and can answer any questions you have about ownership versus renting. I have a Champ (taildragger) out at the Lake Elmo airport, I can't/don't instruct in it for insurance and other reasons, but if your just looking to test the water let me know and maybe I can take you for a ride to give you a taste of flying (especially in a tail wheel)! Call me anytime and check out my webpage if you like - www.flywithtravis.com.

The bottom line is flying is very expensive these days, but you only live once so don't let something you love slip by! e-mail through my website if your still looking or need to pick someone's brain and I'll give you a call.

Travis

Back