Military Etiquette

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Military Etiquette

Officer: Soldier, do you have change for a dollar?
Soldier: Sure, buddy.
Officer: That's no way to address an officer! Now let's try it again. Do you have change for a dollar?
Soldier: "SIR! NO, SIR!"

gkainz said:
Military Etiquette

Officer: Soldier, do you have change for a dollar?
Soldier: Sure, buddy.
Officer: That's no way to address an officer! Now let's try it again. Do you have change for a dollar?
Soldier: "SIR! NO, SIR!"

Works for me :)

The Army called it "military courtesy" for e's to salute o's. They tried to tell me that military courtesy worked both ways. I never could see the logic of that... it always seemed pretty one-way to me.

RotaryWingBob said:

The Army called it "military courtesy" for e's to salute o's. They tried to tell me that military courtesy worked both ways. I never could see the logic of that... it always seemed pretty one-way to me.

My dad, a Captain in the Army (during the occupation of Germany 1945-48) had to appear before General Mark Clark for "fraternizing" with enlisted personnel. He was a dentist (Medical Corp) and happened to sit with a bunch of G.I.s in a movie theater. He kept wondering why they were all clapping when he sat down in their section. Gen. Clark later made that clear to him. :)

Gen, Clark was pleasant but made it clear that was not proper. My dad really didn't care. He just thought "wait until I get him in the dental chair". :)

Anthony said:
My dad really didn't care. He just thought "wait until I get him in the dental chair". :)

Yikes! I learned early on that the two people you didn't pi$$ off in the Navy were your pay clerk and your corpsman - both could make paperwork disappear that would cause immense amounts of grief and discomfort. I now add to that list, "your dentist". :D

RotaryWingBob said:

That's one of the reasons I got out. I didn't like the idea of having to call someone "sir" who I knew to be an idiot or a jerk.

Back