Mild OSA, no CPAP needed?

I

I sleep fine

So, I was getting my documentation together for an upcoming 2nd class renewal, and noticed that my (VA) doc included a surprise note in my last check-up that I had mild OSA and that CPAP was not needed.

I can only assume this came about because I had mentioned I had a sleep study done almost 10 years ago. I was in the army in Japan, working nights, having trouble maintaining a sleep schedule, and the mil docs sent me off to a local off-base clinic for a study. I recalled being told there were a few blips in my study but overall was not diagnosed with apnea. Unfortunately this sleep study is nowhere in my records that I can find. There is also nothing else in my records that suggests I have OSA.

I've never used or needed a CPAP. Is this random little note going to throw a huge wrench into the works and require all kinds of FAA-mandated exams? I'm very close to finally finishing up my CPL(have to renew the medical to continue part 141 under GI Bill) and will be real upset if this makes me stop my training again now that I'm on a roll.

I'm pretty sure the FAA is going to want to see a recent sleep study. What happens after that depends on what the study says.

*sigh* That’s super frustrating. Thanks for the input, I’ll try and schedule an AME consult asap and see exactly what I need. I was already anxious over a few other “shouldn’t-be-a-problem” issues that popped up recently, hopefully this all goes smoothly.

After some googling, it would appear to me that the AME is afforded some discretion when it comes to OSA and its risk factors. Am I justified in hoping that they can see this for what it is (a miscommunication around an anecdotal mention during a visit)? I read through my doc's notes further and noticed he had stated that this "OSA" is self-reported by me, and no other diagnosis anywhere in my records.

I have no problem doing another sleep study, I've nothing to hide; it's the timing. The prospect of putting my training, personal flying, and a promising flying job on hold until I can sort this out, is aggravating to say the least. My biggest concern is being thrown into deferral purgatory until the end of time, or having my medical yanked if OKC suddenly decides to change their mind.

Hoping the resident AMEs can chime in. Calling a couple AMEs tomorrow morning to try and wrangle up an appointment for a consult. Thanks again for all of your help.

So, I was getting my documentation together for an upcoming 2nd class renewal, and noticed that my (VA) doc included a surprise note in my last check-up that I had mild OSA and that CPAP was not needed.

I can only assume this came about because I had mentioned I had a sleep study done almost 10 years ago. I was in the army in Japan, working nights, having trouble maintaining a sleep schedule, and the mil docs sent me off to a local off-base clinic for a study. I recalled being told there were a few blips in my study but overall was not diagnosed with apnea. Unfortunately this sleep study is nowhere in my records that I can find. There is also nothing else in my records that suggests I have OSA.

I've never used or needed a CPAP. Is this random little note going to throw a huge wrench into the works and require all kinds of FAA-mandated exams? I'm very close to finally finishing up my CPL(have to renew the medical to continue part 141 under GI Bill) and will be real upset if this makes me stop my training again now that I'm on a roll.
Did your doc newly diagnose you with OSA, or did he just mishear you and write it down as part of your (he thought) history? If he didn't diagnose you, and you weren't diagnosed then, then you haven't been diagnosed. So what would you disclose? I'd still call that doc up and ask him to correct his notes on your history.

Did your doc newly diagnose you with OSA, or did he just mishear you and write it down as part of your (he thought) history?

The way it reads to me, it’s just a history note and not a diagnosis. I mentioned that I had done a sleep study years ago and was told I don’t have OSA. It’s just a small note in one visit saying that I “reported” having mild OSA with no CPAP required(this is incorrect). Then another note in a subsequent visit saying I had OSA, with no CPAP required.

I'd still call that doc up and ask him to correct his notes on your history.

I wasn’t aware that was an option. Otherwise I’d have no choice but to disclose it, since there are other notes on that visit that are needed. Otherwise it would appear that I was blatantly omitting a disqualifying condition, not a good look

I wasn’t aware that was an option. Otherwise I’d have no choice but to disclose it, since there are other notes on that visit that are needed. Otherwise it would appear that I was blatantly omitting a disqualifying condition, not a good look
You're required to disclose conditions you've had or been diagnosed with. An erroneous note regarding you allegedly reporting something that you don't have and didn't report is not either. I don't understand what you mean by other notes on the visit being needed, either. Generally if my AME wants some info from my PCP, he gets it via a letter. But perhaps there's some reason you expect to have to turn these records over to the FAA? In any event, if you're concerned, just ask that the notes be corrected. It's all electronic nowadays.

You're required to disclose conditions you've had or been diagnosed with. An erroneous note regarding you allegedly reporting something that you don't have and didn't report is not either. I don't understand what you mean by other notes on the visit being needed, either. Generally if my AME wants some info from my PCP, he gets it via a letter. But perhaps there's some reason you expect to have to turn these records over to the FAA? In any event, if you're concerned, just ask that the notes be corrected. It's all electronic nowadays.

I get what you're saying. In a nutshell, I don't know how deep the FAA digs, what the actual process is, or if they have access to the visit notes given that it's a VA doctor. I have other pertinent notes (lab results, progress notes, etc) in those visit that I figured they'd want to see, since I have to list all visits on the application. Maybe I'm wrong. Lab results, progress notes, etc. I just don't want them to be going about their routine info-collecting, come across that sneaky little OSA note, get the impression that I have an OSA diagnosis I didn't disclose. Given that untreated OSA is understandably a big no-go for the FAA, I feel like that would quickly turn into a bad day for me.

Maybe I'm being over-paranoid. After all, it's not in my "official" list of diagnoses/condtions. I just get spooked after hearing all the horror stories of airmen finding themselves in hot water, losing medical or having to fight for an SI after some small detail rubs the FAA the wrong way

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back