Mike Leach suspended as head coach

AP said:
Leach did not immediately return a call or a text message from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Really? Reporters harass via SMS now?

Good on Tech for doing the right thing. Let the investigation go forward. Unfortunately, the kid's career is still likely ruined, as he's labeled as a troublemaker now.

Really? Reporters harass via SMS now?

Good on Tech for doing the right thing. Let the investigation go forward. Unfortunately, the kid's career is still likely ruined, as he's labeled as a troublemaker now.

I seriously doubt that Craig James' son would ever e labeled a troublemaker. And as for his career, it might actually help it along.

Well, what's so funny about it is that he's getting in trouble from Adam James. And there sure isn't much career to mess up there. The only reason he is there is because daddy James and his $upport. There is a very large number of players who have been treated worse than this I just find it entertaining he is the one to bring it out.

It's time for Leach to go anyway. He has taken the Raiders as far as they can go under him.

I seriously doubt that Craig James' son would ever e labeled a troublemaker. And as for his career, it might actually help it along.

Of all the inner city "troublemakers" we had on the team. I think he was in trouble most for causing problems. But maybe the rest of them were just better at not getting caught.

Good riddance.

Funny though, that ESPN must have really thought the quote about being forced into this was important, since they included it 3 times:

ESPN said:
In an affidavit included with his injunction request to coach the Red Raiders in the Alamo Bowl, Leach said he "would never intentionally harm or endanger a player" and that he had been "forced into this situation without being afforded any process."

ESPN said:
"I have never and would never intentionally harm or endanger a player. I am committed to Texas Tech University and the well being of my football players. I have been forced into this situation without being afforded any process," he said. "Not being allowed to coach immediately will cause irreparable harm because preparation for the game is ongoing and it will be over on January 2, 2009. Every minute of preparation is critical to be ready for the game."

ESPN said:
In an affidavit included in Tuesday's court filing, Leach said he "would never intentionally harm or endanger a player" and that he has been "forced into this situation without being afforded any process." He also said "absolutely" no evidence had been given to him that showed he had violated any university rules or standards.

I thought that was funny too. In reading the articles I have seen, it seems everyone is really trying to downplay what he did and what the situation was. I can almost 100% guarantee it was much more severe than this.

Even if it wasn't, there are plenty more occourrences where something should have been done that wasn't. I hope they all come out now and that he finally has to pay for them.

He wasn't fired for mistreating players.. He was fired because he was insubordinate and essentially posed an ultimatum to his boss.

Leach is responsible for the events leading up to his termination, without regards to the truth of the allegations against him.

He only get $2 million. $400,000 for each remaining year. And I'm really not sure how desirable he is going to be for a while. There may be a few years where he's not around.

He only get $2 million. $400,000 for each remaining year. And I'm really not sure how desirable he is going to be for a while. There may be a few years where he's not around.

If I read the paper right, the $400K / year is if he was fired for a "just cause". That remains to be seen in a court of law. I'm pretty sure he is going to get more than $2 mil. Last night Leach was on Sports Center (I did not see it, just the promos) talking about how he was unjustly fired and how his reputation has been harmed. If he wins in court he could get the $10mil + damages for wrongful termination. I don't have "a dog in this fight", so I don't know one way or the other, but I can tell you is the worst for TT on this issue is not over by a long shot. Hopefully, they will settle for an "undisclosed amount" and get this behind them. Having been through the coaching problems in NU I can tell you is hurts the program and divided the fans for a long time. Hopefully, TT can get a good coach right away, and get back to winning (except when we play them).

TT is a good program and a great school. Some fans are a little over the top sometimes, but that is to be expected when a team begins to win. A lot of band wagoners make it difficult for good college football fans. Maybe this will teach them a little humility, understanding, and appreciation of the game.

Good luck. What makes Texas Tech stronger makes all of the Big 12 stronger.

Last edited:
The Alamo bowl is going to be an interesting game this year. TT has its coaching issues and MSU has ~14 players suspended. What a bizarre backdrop.

There may be a few years where he's not around.

And that's a shame. His attitude represents what is wrong with football coaches in general. The whole "Water breaks are for the weak" attitude disgusts me.

Back