Migration Complete

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Migration Complete..welcome to your new home.

server1.jesseangell.net

Cool!

Dang. You didn't give us much time to go do anything useful did you? :D

Attachments

• POA-ServerMigration.JPG
    POA-ServerMigration.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 63
Hmm. Did you get that via reverse DNS with a ping?

Just a tracert.

I did a few searches- this thing is blazin' fast... smokin'!

Very nicely done. And I'll admit, it wasn't all too inconvenient, even for me. :rofl:

Holy smokes, that is quite fast. To seach for something no longer gives me time to go get coffee and pee before the results are back!

Awesome performance!

We must track down the guy responsible and force him to complete an instrument rating! :)

Jesse -
I had a hang up at 0814 CST when posting to a thread. The system "locked up" until I hit stop and then post reply again. The reply posted but I got an error about a double post.

Jesse -
I had a hang up at 0814 CST when posting to a thread. The system "locked up" until I hit stop and then submit reply again. The reply posted but I got an error about a double post.
It happened again when posting this message at 0817.

Hmm. Did you get that via reverse DNS with a ping?
BTW it looks like pilotsofamerica.com (.org and .net) uses jesseeangell.net as the name server but the rDNS is served by serverbeach.com (66.139.72.5 and 64.34.160.71).

I am assuming this is not a dedicated machine so I can't think of an obvious solution.

Joe

Joe,

The rDNS is handled by the upstream providers. All other DNS is handled by me. What is your concern with that? The ip addresses rDNS to the domains I want them to.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;69.169.34.64.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
69.169.34.64.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN PTR server1.jesseangell.net.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;98.40.5.64.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
98.40.5.64.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN PTR server2.jesseangell.net.
There are two servers dedicated towards PoA. They are physically located on opposite sides of the country with different providers. I may place PoA on a local server eventually--but local bandwidth is *way way* more costly. I need to get some measurements on PoA's usage before that is possible. But in the end..there really is little benefit to it being local.

Last edited:
Jesse -
I had a hang up at 0814 CST when posting to a thread. The system "locked up" until I hit stop and then submit reply again. The reply posted but I got an error about a double post.
It happened again when posting this message at 0817.

I see other activity that was successful during that time period. It was most likely that the problem was either with your ISP or with a hop between the two. I can't fix the whole internet. Or maybe I can... :)

Last edited:
BTW it looks like pilotsofamerica.com (.org and .net) uses jesseeangell.net as the name server but the rDNS is served by serverbeach.com (66.139.72.5 and 64.34.160.71).

I am assuming this is not a dedicated machine so I can't think of an obvious solution.

Joe

It is a dedicated machine and what difference does it make who serves the DNS? It could be running in Bosnia. DNS servers are supposed to be geographically diverse by design.

It also doesn't matter if reverse DNS and DNS are on seperate servers, in separate countries, or planets and far from the web servers as long as the service works.

It is a dedicated machine and what difference does it make who serves the DNS? It could be running in Bosnia. DNS servers are supposed to be geographically diverse by design.

It also doesn't matter if reverse DNS and DNS are on seperate servers, in separate countries, or planets and far from the web servers as long as the service works.
Well Mike the point I was trying to make is that if he has multiple servers on the same machine with one ip address he may want the rDNS to point to his domain not PoA's.

As far as who administers the rDNS, if it's Jesse he edits a file and does a kill -HUP, but if it's his ISP he has to contact them. I'm not sure how I implied they should be at a single location.

Other than that thanks for the insight.

Joe

Joe

rDNS is normally handled by a the owner of the IP blocks (ServerBeach, in this case). It is possible for them to delegate authoritative rDNS for a chunk of their IPs to the person currently issued those IPs, but it's normally not something they'll do unless you give them a very good reason. Most of the "pay for a server" joints, will change the rDNS to whatever you ask them to change it to.

As a web/DNS host our company receives calls all the time from our clients asking us to set the rDNS for them because their self-hosted e-mail is getting blocked. We have to point them to their provider, as they are the controlling body for the block of IP addresses.

The rDNS settings are really only critical when hosting e-mail as most spam filters will do a forward -> reverse -> forward lookup on a source IP to see if they can tie the source of an e-mail together. As a web host, rDNS is normally irrelevant...as long as it's set.

That's a long way of saying that I see what you see...but it looks just fine to me.

Well Mike the point I was trying to make is that if he has multiple servers on the same machine with one ip address he may want the rDNS to point to his domain not PoA's.

As far as who administers the rDNS, if it's Jesse he edits a file and does a kill -HUP, but if it's his ISP he has to contact them. I'm not sure how I implied they should be at a single location.

Other than that thanks for the insight.

Joe

You've got a point - that the RDNS and forward should have the same name - because some spam killers will assign the spam score on whether the reverse DNS matches the domain in the email, as well as AFIAK, things like whether an SSL certificate is for the right site.

Jesse, can you get POA added to the ISP's RDNS as an additional PTR record? It's legal to have multiple PTR (and A - forward) entries although some brain- dead applications will only see the first answer.

I see other activity that was successful during that time period. It was most likely that the problem was either with your ISP or with a hop between the two. I can't fix the whole internet. Or maybe I can... :)

Thanks for looking into it. I was on several sites simultaneously but this was the only one hiccuping.

You've got a point - that the RDNS and forward should have the same name - because some spam killers will assign the spam score on whether the reverse DNS matches the domain in the email, as well as AFIAK, things like whether an SSL certificate is for the right site.
Not quite Mike. There is no reason to have the rDNS match the forward of the web domain. We live in an era of multiple ip addresses per web domain and that is enforced strongly by ARIN. With the exception being for SSL. PoA is not running anything via SSL. You'll find that there are few websites out there with rDNS matching the forward.

There is no advantage in pointing the rDNS at PoA. The hostname of that physical server is server1.jesseangell.net. PoA is just a website that is running on it. I could move PoA in an instant to another server. I build on the names of the server--not on the names of the websites on the server.

I'm so glad the FOI wasn't made up of ABC's. Or, I'd be SOL-UACWOP!

I concur with Jesse. DNS (forward and reverse) are set up exactly as they need to be. There will be no ill effects from a lack of rDNS that references PoA.

Things are running very smoothly so far. Let's trust him...

I concur with Jesse. DNS (forward and reverse) are set up exactly as they need to be. There will be no ill effects from a lack of rDNS that references PoA.

Things are running very smoothly so far. Let's trust him...

Yep. It was a minor point.

I was busy all day Thursday and Friday completing my own move (apartment to houseandhome). There wasn't enough time to notice any interuption. I'm sorry that I missed "the special message". What a fine sense of humor our FAMILY has.
Great job Jesse. Thanks. And you too Chuck. If it weren't for you and your dedication, we wouldn't have PoA nor Jesse.

Over a year later--website still remains fast.

Web site change? You mean it was supposed to work better or something?

:devil:

Seems to me it just always works.

Back