Migraines

A

Anon

Several years ago I had occasional migraines which I treated with prescription migraine medication. Since entering menopause approximately 4 years ago, they are thankfully GONE. Can an AME sign off on a 3rd Class medical or will it need to get approved through the FAA doctors in Oklahoma City?

Thanks!

If it is like anything else you will need official written proof (treatment - result) that the migraines are no longer an issue.

What constitutes official written proof if she merely stopped requiring migraine meds because she stopped getting migraines due to menopause?

If she gets official written proof, can an AME sign off on a 3rd Class medical or will it need to get approved through the FAA doctors in Oklahoma City?

I'd love to tell you how I did away with Mrs. Steingar's migraines, but cannot do so in polite company. Can't do so here either.

Try to go get a 3rd class medical and see what happens.

Since you are no longer on the prescription and this isn't a situation that would automatically ground you for life, you can afford to go to an AME and try to get one. If there's a problem, he'll point you to what needs to get done.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be an issue. I checked this issue thoroughly and had a similar history - the AME in this instance is allowed to issue the medical. I would perhaps have a conversation with the AME before he/she actually commits to the process.

Here's the guidance for AME's:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...me/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/ha/
CACI sign off this year, with 2 year in the office issuance. Next issuance (if she bothers) it will have been 5 years, issue as eligible.

I used to have migraines then suddenly they stopped. On the FAA form it asks us to check any of the items that have ever been a problem. Suddenly this year they made me go to another Dr. for specified tests. A big run-around. A few hundred later the OK'd me but warned me that the test may have to be repeated.
Be aware, once checked, the box cannot be unchecked!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back